PDA

View Full Version : lost the <RUN> and <SEARCH> and <TURN OFF COMPUTER> icons

TheShadow
1st Jul 2006, 14:28
I seem to have lost the <RUN> and <SEARCH> and <TURN OFF COMPUTER> icons in the start button menu.
Only way I can shut down is by log-off and use the <TURN OFF COMPUTER> option that pops up.
Cannot access RUN so cannot get to command prompt etc
Anybody have any fixes?

BOAC
1st Jul 2006, 14:41
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/noclose.htm and

Run Command Missing
Right click the Start button and select Properties, then Customize. Scroll down and put the check mark in the Show Run entry. If you're using the new Start panel, its on the Advanced tab.
Or check your settings here: Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Policies\Explorer

Value Name: NoRun
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)
Note: It seems that under "XP Theme", not more than eleven (11) items can be displayed together at the right-hand column (with blue background), which at times, disables/removes the Run Command even with it being checked.

TheShadow
1st Jul 2006, 15:16
BOAC
Thanks for reply.

Unfortunately I've no RUN command available from the start button. Run command is needed to access regedit.

The box for <run COMMAND> that needs ticking between "rinters & Faxes" and "Scroll Programs" is missing (checked against my laptop).

Any other way of getting access to registry editor?

ZH875
1st Jul 2006, 15:34
Windows Key +E will open explorer

Navigate to c:\WINDOWS\system32

and you will find Regedit (possibly name regedt32.exe depending on your version of windoze) there. just double click as normal. etc etc

ZH

BOAC
1st Jul 2006, 15:48
What is your user access level? It sounds as if most of your access rights have been disabled.

TheShadow
1st Jul 2006, 15:57
"Windows Key + R" error msg gave me a clue.
Clicked on GPedit.msc and all became clear (down to Start Button). Seems that an earlier Registry First Aid cleansing had knocked out some default options
see this link (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292504&Product=winxp)

Crisis over. Thanks for help.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jul 2006, 16:09
Any other way of getting access to registry editor?
Er, type

regedit

at the command line perhaps?

BOAC
1st Jul 2006, 16:15
Well done TS! Useful link that one.

TheShadow
1st Jul 2006, 17:24
You can't get a command line without <START><RUN>

and the regedit32.exe in Windows/system32/ had also been hidden by the removal of "the privilege" (that could only ever be restored by accessing GPedit.msc)

You just gotta luv Windows.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Jul 2006, 17:41
You can't get a command line without <START><RUN>

Yes I can.

Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

Saab Dastard
1st Jul 2006, 20:59
Or just double-click c: windows\system32\cmd.exe :cool:

SD

TheShadow
4th Jul 2006, 16:18
I stand corrected (and commanded)

Notwithstanding that I knew that (but like Homer I now and again have to delete stuff from my mind to make way for newstuff)