PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet crewing problems ?

172driver
1st Jul 2006, 10:38
Looks like they're getting desperate - read it and smile:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/airlines/story/0,,1810358,00.html

Perhaps the next thing will be an cabin announcement 'anyone here got as pilot's license and a 737/319 type rating' ? :E

sky9
1st Jul 2006, 10:56
Buy your teeshirt at Matalan and get a free ride.:)

Getoutofmygalley
1st Jul 2006, 11:28
And so what if we are recruiting passengers over the PA?

I have lost track of the amount of times that I have had a passenger say to me that they would love to work for an airline. Many people think they don't have what it takes, and a campaign such as this might just help passengers to get their dream job!

I never in a million years thought I would have what it takes to be cabin crew, yet it was a job that I had always dreamed of doing. Just over 2 years ago I gave up a really cushy job earning lots of money and am now doing a job that I love!

Perhaps other airlines should take a leaf out of easyJet's book and recruit real people too!

Flybywyre
1st Jul 2006, 11:32
Brilliant idea, good luck to them...........:ok:

World of Tweed
1st Jul 2006, 19:54
Most of the Charters have had written adverts in their respective In-flight Magazines for many a year. So 'in-flight' recuitment is nothing new albeit not quite in this manner.

I guess this is one more way to recruit but certainly gives an impression of the company.......what exactly I'm not sure....good luck to them though.

If they are struggling to recruit perhaps they need to look more at the package they offer the starry-eyed-galmour-seeking-potential-Airline-employee as an airline compared to others. Six sectors a day on close to minimum rest with no (or very few) nightstops. My guess is it doesn't quite live up to alot of peoples expectations. Fine for those who enjoy the home life, not so much for the wannabee JetSetters though eh?

Getoutofmygalley: Just out of interest, Which airlines do you know that employ..."Virtual People"?

RAT 5
1st Jul 2006, 21:15
Why should ej spend much needed money on a Guardian advertisment when they have Channel 4 spreading the gospel to millions?

fmgc
1st Jul 2006, 21:22
More to the point easyJet are desperate for crew because they chronically underestimated the crew requirement for the summer, pilots as well as cabin crew. This is why there has been a recent high level "resignation" with more to follow from what I can understand.

RAT 5
1st Jul 2006, 21:56
What is the legal situation where ej are selling tickets (product) when they have prior knowledge they can not provide that which they have sold?
Perhaps their defence would be that they do not know in advance which specific flights will be cancelled, but what is certain, and admitted, is that can not crew all flights on the schedule. Surely there should be some STOP against such sales practice?

Some friends, recently had a flight from LTN cancelled at the last minute. They had to transpost themselves to LGW for the outbound flight. What is the situation when their inbound flight to LTN is operating, but their car is at LGW? Not only that, but their pick up at destination had gone and a very expensive taxi to their hotel was required.

I know ej is a LoCo, but to sell something knowing it can/might not be provided surely smacks of something wrong.

britanniaboy
2nd Jul 2006, 00:59
RAT5

When you book an airline ticket, the airline is responsible for transporting you from A to B. If the flight was cancelled, then easyJet would only be responsible for getting them onto the next available flight ex LTN.

As for the taxi when they got their due to their transport having left, that's something they would have to take up with their travel insurance provider as some insurance policies do cover such things. Their late arrival at destination doesn't fall at the airlines feet. If it had been a traditional airline, they may have recieved compensation or free transport, but as you said EZY is a loco and as such does not deal in such "niceties".

The moral here is, quite simply, if you decide to ditch the traditional package holiday and put it all together yourself you should be prepared for the inherrent pitfalls that come with it. It's for this reason that I can see holiday air travel going full circle within the next ten years and people reverting back to the good old charter holiday.

Roll on the bucket and spade brigade! :hmm:

ezpz
2nd Jul 2006, 11:50
RAT 5.

Becuase the delay is easyJet's fault (as opposed to a weather cancellation etc.), they will reimburse any expenses, and will probably have to dish out some compensation under the new EU rules. Getting this money on the other hand is another matter. With 600 flights cancelled in June, your friends will be at the back of a very long queue to get a response from customer services.

sarah737
2nd Jul 2006, 13:03
Bboy,

The EU rules are the same for loco and traditional airlines, so one can expect the same compensations. Your publicity for the airline named after you is a bit misplaced here!

WHBM
3rd Jul 2006, 10:14
I can see holiday air travel going full circle within the next ten years and people reverting back to the good old charter holiday.

Holiday charters were always the worst, the absolute worst, for rearranging themselves and reorganising a few weeks before departure, particularly in the shoulder season, often changing the departure airport, time of day, carrier (particularly if it was from "Established Charter Airline Ltd" to "Wogga Bogga Airways LLC") etc. Even Easy with their current shortages are far better than that.

Han Special
3rd Jul 2006, 15:36
Sarah737 wrote

The EU rules are the same for loco and traditional airlines, so one can expect the same compensations.

This is complete rubbish.Ezy is not an ATOL bonded operator and it is common knowledge in the industry that Low cost carriers will not offer the same compensation as ATOlL bonded tour operators and IT airlines.Unfortunately the public do not seem to realise the extra value or do not value it so there may be a case for ditching this liability and reverting to the new EU rules only, the ones the locos are resisting vehemently.

WHBM
3rd Jul 2006, 16:04
Low cost carriers will not offer the same compensation as ATOL bonded tour operators and IT airlines
What compensation does the ATOL bond offer apart from your money back if the tour operator in question goes bust and they have your money ?

NOT ORANGE
4th Jul 2006, 05:54
Cabin crew in ej are treated the same as the pilots ie like s**t.I never understood why they would work the most unsociable job going for less than you would get in a Tesco whilst being so badly treated.
Basically they were bullied if they went sick with the typically British "well being meeting" where their well being was not cared about.
So if you want the "glamour" of shift work without the shift pay flying tracksuited persons on stag/hen parties to Europe serving Pringles and Snicker bars whilst putting up with the egos up front go for it.
Honestly Tesco has to be the way forward as unlike the entire aviation industry it has a management team who care about people and not some pathetic MBA vision like the dispicable "orangeness".

girtbar
4th Jul 2006, 19:23
Glad to see you like working for Tesco's, but im sure your not one of the poor guys that has to work the night shift in some 24 hr superstore??? Im sure they have great perks, but ill keep the ones i get from being employed by the big orange.

They have greatly under estimated the crewing need for this summer, and the normal summer exodus to other carriers. Its going to be a long summer!

But i still enjoy working for Ezy and so do many people that i work with.

I hate all the changes we're getting at the moment but there are still airlines that are worse paid, with crappy night flights, worse conditions.......
I've not experienced this sort of disruption with ezy before and i dont think i will again, with Andy on board i think he will be taking charge and getting issues sorted which he seems to be doing already. I truly believe that this guy will make Ezy into an even better company to work for and im willing to ride the storm, as always things get worse before they get better, it will be an intresting summer.........

Thank god MS is gone i can think of a few others who should go!

Touch'n'oops
5th Jul 2006, 11:22
Has ej's roster problems been sorted out? I heard the new roster system is a big joke... Carmen is it?

It sounded so amusing, the switching of crew around from a/c to a/c and splitting up teams... What idiot came up with this? Did the managers at Ezy not think about delays???:ugh:

doors_to_manuelle
5th Jul 2006, 12:37
Well good luck in retail NO. I'm sure you will be treated with respect and feel like a valued employee - though in my experience, you most certainly will not!

I've never felt bullied in any of my 'well being' chats. Mainly, as I knew I had nothing to hide.:suspect:

I feel valued at easyjet - tired - but valued. This airline has a lot going for it IMO. :D

Cabin crew in ej are treated the same as the pilots ie like s**t.I never understood why they would work the most unsociable job going for less than you would get in a Tesco whilst being so badly treated.
Basically they were bullied if they went sick with the typically British "well being meeting" where their well being was not cared about.
So if you want the "glamour" of shift work without the shift pay flying tracksuited persons on stag/hen parties to Europe serving Pringles and Snicker bars whilst putting up with the egos up front go for it.
Honestly Tesco has to be the way forward as unlike the entire aviation industry it has a management team who care about people and not some pathetic MBA vision like the dispicable "orangeness".

Turroncin
5th Jul 2006, 18:44
The sad things about the Guardian story is that they told crew a few weeks ago not to bother doing the PA as in reality few crew said it.

Of course, it's fine for airlines like GB Charter to have an "article" in their inflight magazine about the Cabin Crew Resource Manager which consists of half a page of "I recruit cabincrew and we like don't have any so if you walk on 2 legs and support your own head without it flopping over to one side can you do the late Paphos tonight?" etc.

girtbar
6th Jul 2006, 00:39
Carmen was chucked out years ago! You might be confusing the FD roster which is slightly different to CC. I believe some airline still operate with Carmen God knows why thought!!!

LegsUpLucy
10th Jul 2006, 20:47
Seems there maybe more flight deck crew shortages at Easy,Titan and Futura 737s have been operating easyjet flights all week out of LPL !!

Marshall Bravestar
16th Jul 2006, 18:49
That's right, but like most major airlines the last couple of months, they have to cope with an unusual problem. There is not enough capacity for training a sufficient number of new pilot's.
For example they have put a great number of newly hired (or about to be hired) low timers on hold, mostly because they would need too much time to train. They prefer the more experienced pilots at the moment, because they can train 3 experienced pilots in the same time and effort as 1 low timer...
easychoice wouldn't you say?

BaronChotzinoff
17th Jul 2006, 23:23
So in the future when the first Ding after TO is heard, we'll be getting "This releases the CC for their duties ... they will be coming round with the trolley as soon as they've secured the plane on autopilot."

At least it explains why my flights have been so delayed over the last couple of months ... getting to be twice as bad as British Rail on a good day ... :(

girtbar
18th Jul 2006, 00:57
Erm and what you trying to say about us CC????? ;) You mean the odd game of Flight Sim doesnt mean anything???? :E

Dont you worry ill be showing them all the buttons they need to press when they're in the cabin!!

BaronChotzinoff
26th Jul 2006, 21:58
Erm and what you trying to say about us CC????? ;) You mean the odd game of Flight Sim doesnt mean anything???? :E
Dont you worry ill be showing them all the buttons they need to press when they're in the cabin!!OK, well I'll put on the orange apron and you fly the damn thing next Tuesday 6.30 to Berlin - it's been cancelled!