PDA

View Full Version : Lavasoft Adaware

d71146
1st Jul 2006, 08:11
Hi All,
I have the latest version 1.06 of Lavasoft Adaware installed which has until now worked perfectly but on trying to install the latest definitions I cannot get them installed all I get is a box saying unable to read definitions please download again or words to that effect which I have tried but it simply does not work has anyone any ideas please.

Lost_luggage34
1st Jul 2006, 08:36
It's possible that the downloaded definitions file is corrupt in some way.

You can download the latest 'zipped' updates directly from here ;

http://updates.ls-servers.com/public/defs.zip

Good idea to rename your exisiting definitions file first - it should be sitting in C : \Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE or thereabouts and named defs.ref

Then unzipp the new definition file to the same directory.

If all is well when you open up Adaware again, the latest definitions file should show as SE 1R113 28.06.2006 with the core application as 1.06r1 for the free personal addition.

Hope that helps.

d71146
1st Jul 2006, 08:49
It's possible that the downloaded definitions file is corrupt in some way.

You can download the latest 'zipped' updates directed from here ;

http://updates.ls-servers.com/public/defs.zip

Good idea to rename your exisiting definitions file first - it should be sitting in C : \Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE or thereabouts and named defs.ref

Then unzipp the new definition file to the same directory.

If all is well when you open up Adaware again, the latest definitions file should show as SE 1R113 28.06.2006 with the core application as 1.06r1 for the free personal addition.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help I will give it a go.

Globaliser
3rd Jul 2006, 10:05
I have the latest version 1.06 of Lavasoft Adaware installed which has until now worked perfectly but on trying to install the latest definitions I cannot get them installed all I get is a box saying unable to read definitions please download again or words to that effect which I have tried but it simply does not work has anyone any ideas please.I get this from time to time. My usual "remedy" is to wait 24 hours and try again. They usually have the problem fixed by then.

d71146
3rd Jul 2006, 11:48
I get this from time to time. My usual "remedy" is to wait 24 hours and try again. They usually have the problem fixed by then.

Thanks for the info.
d71146

ShyTorque
3rd Jul 2006, 18:54
I just tried it, the latest definition file downloaded and installed as per normal.

Conan the Librarian
3rd Jul 2006, 18:58
Have had this happen before with Adaware. After getting bored with the situation, I deinstalled and reinstalled. Worked a treat.

Conan

Mac the Knife
3rd Jul 2006, 19:34
Lavasoft say that this sometimes happens when the update servers are overloaded. A lot of people use Adaware and its a target for DDOS attacks.

Globaliser is right, wait 24 hours and try again. Having said that, a year or so ago was sure Adaware was broken when it failed to update for several days in a row. Can't recall any problems since then.

:ok:

frostbite
3rd Jul 2006, 19:57
With ZoneAlarm and Avast guarding the 'front end', my Adaware has not found anything aside from the usual insignificant stuff for a couple of years.