PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Question

Captain Airclues
30th Jun 2006, 12:47
My wife and I are planning a holiday in Dubai in October. We are considering staying at Le Royal Meridien on Jumeira Beach. We were last there in March 2005 and the area behind the hotel was a building site with the associated noise and dust. Could somebody please tell me if this is still the case, or have the buildings been completed?
Also, could you please tell me what effect Ramadan has on the hotels in the Jumeira Beach area?

Airclues

picu
30th Jun 2006, 13:12
Area behind Le Meridien is worse than ever. Still a building site, as it will be for the next year at least. Ramadan's effect is that daytime meals at the hotel would be in an enclosed area, out of sight. Forget about eating out during the day though, apart at other hotel outlets. You will not be able to eat near the pool, nor smoke or drink.
Finally remember that October is usually rather warmer than March.
Good luck.

Captain Airclues
30th Jun 2006, 14:44
picu

Many Thanks.

I can't stand all that dust so I've booked us into the Grand Hyatt instead. Sorry that I can't offer to buy you a beer if there's no booze during Ramadan.

Cheers

Airclues

typhoonpilot
30th Jun 2006, 15:23
I'd probably go with the Madinat Jumeirah (http://www.madinatjumeirah.com/)

TP

BYMONEK
30th Jun 2006, 18:34
I second Typhoon on that. We stayed last year for a few days and bumped into Denise Welch of corrie fame and husband Tom Healy. Now that's class! :rolleyes:

Get a quote to upgrade to the family/exec package as it offers good value with breakfast/afternoon tea/evening drinks and pre dinner canapes ( a meal in themselves!!!)
Good location, great rooms and faultless service.

James 1077
30th Jun 2006, 20:22
I'd probably go with the Madinat Jumeirah (http://www.madinatjumeirah.com/)

TP

Can I third that one. I stay there earlier this year and it is great; also much less building noise than anywhere else.

One of the best hotels I have stayed at!

Captain Airclues
30th Jun 2006, 20:38
Many thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated. However, I've booked and paid for the Grand Hyatt and it's non-refundable. (excellent deal though!!). We'll just have to learn to live with the 'no booze' thing. Unfortunately I bought club tickets (once again non-refundable) before I realised that it was Ramadan (one should never book tickets after a night in t'pub).

Airclues

air pig
30th Jun 2006, 23:55
Just ask if it is total and complete Ramadan of a non-local member of staff at reception.

Mack Tuck
1st Jul 2006, 03:08
Ramadan is only an issue wrt alcohol during the daytime. Bars open at about 7pm and some restaurants in hotels will be open during the day for us.

Monty77
8th Jul 2006, 07:38
Lots of confusion last Ramadan in Bahrain. The day before it started the government announced a ban on restaurants selling alcohol, even after dark. The 5 star hotels continued until they too were stopped after about 10 days. After that only the clubs were allowed to serve members only. Wonder what will happen this year. I assume Dubai was unaffected?