PDA

View Full Version : 14 year old drivers?

John Eacott
30th Jun 2006, 11:28
The Canadians seem to have wonderful faith in the young :ok: :

(British Columbia, Canada-NBC) June 29, 2006 -

One 14-year-old by is literally flying high. The teen is setting world records for flying solo in a different aircraft on the same day.
Like all good pilots, Jonathan Strickland does what they call a walk around, checking the aircraft, making sure everything looks right. Unlike any other pilot, he is just 14-years-old.
Flight instructor Robin Petgrave worries, "I feel like the kid's little mom, you know, I'm like a nervous hen."
The instructor has brought his prize student from Los Angeles to Canada, where students can go solo as young as 14. In the States they have to wait until they're 16.
He has had four perfect takeoffs and landings, but that doesn't make him the youngest pilot to have ever soloed. That record was set a couple of years ago of years ago, also by the same flight school in Canada.
When asked about the solo flying, Jonathan says, "I looked to the right on takeoff and I didn't see anyone. I feel like cool!"
It didn't scare him; he talks about a different reaction, "I was like 'sweet!'"
Jonathan is one of hundreds of inner city kids in Los Angeles who are given the opportunity to do charity work in exchange for free flight instructions.
Thursday, he became the first 14-year-old to have flown his first solo in a plane and a chopper on the same day.

Full story WIS10TV (http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5097573)

22clipper
30th Jun 2006, 11:57
Thirty years ago I was flying sailplanes & asked the instructor who is best student was. He replied that it was a twelve year old. Naturally I asked if the lad was allowed to solo. "Nope", the instructor said, "absolutely fearless & therefore a menace on his own".

Rich Lee
30th Jun 2006, 14:54
This is a link to Robin Petgrave's website. He does a lot of work with young men and women with an interest in aviation and by all reports, has been very successful.

http://www.celebheli.com/

IMHO a 14 year old may have the motor skills to fly but it would be the rare 14 year old with the decision making skills I believe are necessary for any pilot. Robin has done a lot of good things and I understand that setting records can generate considerable revenue; but this sort of meaningless record setting does not advance or contribute to rotarty wing aviation and may in fact give this young 14 year old a warped sense of industry values.

rotor67
30th Jun 2006, 19:55
It's a publicity stunt......

I think it's great that these kids are involved in aviation. BUT, he's not getting his license in Canada, but here in the US. So....it's a publicity stunt. Also being the first african-american to do this too says a lot! BUT it's still a publicity stunt.

The last post is right about being young, and the ability to make decisions. There was a kid at my school about 15 years ago, he was only 12 years old. This kid could do auto's to almost any spot the instructor pointed too. I don't know what happened to him. There's a guy at my home airport, his kid is 4 years old, and can land and takeoff the plane! That's great, but come on, let the kid be a kid!

Just my .02!

Disguise Delimit
1st Jul 2006, 02:29
I can imagine his checklist:

Brakes: Like, on
Mixture: Like, full on, dude
Flaps: Like, outa town
Prop: Like, grody to the max, dude

Radio call:

"Like, tower, like, man in the bird to dude in the tower, like, gimme the word and I'll give her the power."
Tower: "Shut UP dude!":yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

R22DRIVER
1st Jul 2006, 02:57
Dude,

You must either be young or have kids!!! Made me laugh!!

R22 ( Young dude, but i speak properly)!

Gomer Pylot
1st Jul 2006, 04:15
Grody, to the max????

He can't be young. That was ancient by 1970. :yuk: :}

Steve76
1st Jul 2006, 07:01
You know, there were young men only 17yrs old flying the most hazardous and dangerous aircraft known to men: Sopwith Pups, Camels, Albatross's and Fokker bi and triplanes of WW1. A Cessna after hours and hours and hours of instruction, why not?

Overt Auk
1st Jul 2006, 07:10
Steve

I refer you to 22clipper above: "absolutely fearless and therefore a menace..."

In time of war, if he takes out 2 of the enemy before doing something so rash he kills himself, this is a positive outcome.

In civy life the paperwork could become burdensome.

OA