PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hill, Arkaroola and Onwards

Sunfish
30th Jun 2006, 10:01
OK, so I've done the annual winter bash for a low time private pilot.

YMMB, Swanhill, Broken Hill, Arkaroola and reverse.

I was originally heading for William Creek exceptwhen we dropped in for fuel at Swan Hill, a savvy female instructor at YSHW told Annie what we could expect there.......... Air was like milk last Monday - dead still.

We got to Broken Hill and rang Arkaroola. Bookings made. Left next day. Magic trip across the desert and 500 feet AGL over Lake Frome. Flew North along the Flinders Ranges to see the sights. Then into Arkaroola. 650M strip draped across a hill. What a great place! Luxury.

Next day, I went looking for "Doug" the pilot to see about Avgas. Turns out "Doug " is Doug Sprigg, the owner of Arkaroola. I find myself in the RHS of his Cessna Skywagon as he shows some visitors the Flinders Ranges.

Later that day he very kindly lends us a station Toyota Ute to do some exploring. We go to the Paralana hotsprings.

I cannot say how much we enjoyed Arkaroola - and I've been there by road three times before.

When we left we flew YBHI - YSWH and then to Kerang. Dignity points lost at Swan Hill when I forgot to cancel Sartime and the medevac aircraft leaving before me kindly explained that they had done it on my behalf.

Today, there was a bit of scud running(with an exit) as we diverted west to Bendigo and Ballarat to get into the Melbourne Basin, albeit with a 25knot tail wind and turbulence.

The learning continues. P.S. Rex Pilots look younger than my son, although they seem to eat the same junk food.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Jun 2006, 14:33
G'day 'Sunfish'....

Glad to see you enjoyed the trip! I too, have always found the aviation community to be the perfect hosts / hostesses when one ventures from the 'beaten track'.
And, the real trick is, to return in kind.....
I'll bet you are looking forward to the next one....
Cheers:ok:

anotheraussieintheuk
30th Jun 2006, 16:40
Sunfish

You made me jealous. What aircraft type did you do the trip in?

Sunfish
30th Jun 2006, 23:03
The trusty C172.