PDA

View Full Version : None-Flight Jobs at EK

N380UA
30th Jun 2006, 08:09
I hear a lot of EK FO's, and Captains for that matter complain, about their life in Dubai and EK. Work load, life style, rostering etc. seem to make the UAE a bad place to be. However I don’t see a mass exodus as one would expect after reading about how though it all is at EK. So I recon it cant be all that bad. But how about none-flying middle management positions at EK? What are the conditions? How is the lifestyle? How are you being treated?

ruserious
30th Jun 2006, 08:38
Thanks for telling us how it really is, I was really confused until your email clarified my working and living conditions.
Just what we need another yank with limited knowledge and grasp of a complex situation, passing judgement. Maybe you should become President!
As to NON flying positions, if you can descend into deep denial, compromise any morals or ethics you have, then management here is great.

N380UA
30th Jun 2006, 09:09
with limited knowledge and grasp of a complex situation, passing judgement

wow, how judgmental was that? Enlighten me! How are your working and living conditions then? Is it really as bad as you all make it out to be? And if so, it’s a justifiable question why don’t you leave?

Other than that I was merely posing a question without antagonizing anyone, at least not deliberately. As for

Just what we need another yank

Don’t bet your farm on it buddy. Schwartzenschnitzel IS American and not even he can run for Prez. Granted, he and GW share the same IQ. :E

L1011
30th Jun 2006, 11:14
N38,

PLEASE do not fire from the hip. You sound just like your esteemed POTUS.

We who have been in EK for a while understand the reality of being in 'middle management' positions. Faustus is just the best known proponent of the genre.

Maintian your pride and integrity by staying where you are. If you were foolish enough to come to the sandpit, you will plumb the depths of compromise.:ugh:

Desert Nomad
30th Jun 2006, 11:21
N38,

The situation is generally worse for the middle managers at EK than it is for the flight deck crew. Wages substantially lower, longer working hours, less benefits. Year on year the salaries are getting eroded due to the high cost of living. If you want to survive you need a position where you can travel a huge amount to get extra money through your per diems.

You will also get involved in the politics of this organisation and the Indian Maffia that seem to control everything.

The issues that the flight deck face are the same as for everyone.

Macaroon
30th Jun 2006, 12:44
Desert Nomad is pretty much spot on. As a Manager at EK (not directly associated with Flight Ops) I am affected by the same things that have been raised on this forum many a time. Ever increasing cost of living, dealing with EK accommodation, schooling, the IM, incredibly inefficient management etc. etc. Although rosters don't apply the hours are very long and pay rises that are no where near the rate of inflation. I know Managers from various lines of business within EK (including Flight Ops) and we are all pretty much in the same boat. As always it depends where you came from and what you were used to which dictates whether you love it or hate it. Eventually though after a few years of experiencing the everyday life and it's challenges the gloss will probably fade.
(And yes I know I can leave if I don't like it so don't bother with that reply anyone. Just contributing to the discussion.)

PITA
30th Jun 2006, 12:56
Just ignore ruserious,

He obviously has not yet taken his med's

ruserious
2nd Jul 2006, 10:45
Just ignore ruserious, He obviously has not yet taken his med's
Oh, you are so wrong, I have had my EK meds applied rectally (without lube) for more than a decade, I think that qualifies me to have an opinion and comment on the comments of somone who passes judgement on our situation without doing even a little research.

Wingsofprayer
8th Jul 2006, 09:24
N38,

The situation is generally worse for the middle managers at EK than it is for the flight deck crew. Wages substantially lower, longer working hours, less benefits. Year on year the salaries are getting eroded due to the high cost of living. If you want to survive you need a position where you can travel a huge amount to get extra money through your per diems.

You will also get involved in the politics of this organisation and the Indian Maffia that seem to control everything.

The issues that the flight deck face are the same as for everyone.

Absolutely true. As one of the many former "middle managers" at EK, I can say that leaving EmiRATS was one of the best decisions I have ever taken.

Still recovering...