PDA

View Full Version : Incendiary Devices R44

CHOPPER74
30th Jun 2006, 05:26
Does anyone know who i should contact in Australia about getting a incendiary device fitted to a R44, cost etc. This will be used for parks and Wildlife controlled burning.

I have also seen advertised a unit that is set up either inside or outside the machine that spits these little red and black eggs out. I think they are called dragon eggs or something along those lines. Is there a web site on these.

Nigel Osborn
30th Jun 2006, 06:26
Check with Heli Res. We used to use ping pong balls as well as the Aphid (?) fire lighter.

belly tank
30th Jun 2006, 06:34
Parks and wildlife using a piston:confused: are you talking NSW NPWS?

jetflite
30th Jun 2006, 09:12
Aerial Fire Lighting

www.mihelicopters.com.au/CommercialWork.aspx?EntityId=100263

For quickly covering large areas of remote country for controlled burns, back burning while fire lighting and obtaining a cleaner burn on pulled country, SKY FIRE is the answer.
Sky Fire is the latest development in drip torch type firelighters for helicopters. The lighter is slung beneath the machine, which has obvious safety advantages over other incendiary devices, which are carried, in the cabin of the aircraft. The Gel, which is used in the lighter, is made by mixing Firetrol Firegel powder with super petrol to form a gel mix. This is then pumped from the nozzle at the tail of the lighter through a pair of igniters. The gel is burning as it leaves the lighter and will remain alight on the ground after it lands for up to five minutes.

The gel pump and igniters can both be controlled from the cabin of the helicopter during flight. Flow rates for the gel are also adjusted from the cabin depending on the type of operation. The capacity of the tank is 80 Litres; coverage caries a lot depending on the type of work. A full tank could light several thousand acres of pulled country or light a 50km line on a controlled burn.

M.I Helicopters uses a Robinson R44 helicopter for burning. It is a four-seat helicopter with plenty of power to safely carry an observer while fire lighting. This means that someone familiar with the country can supervise the operation without relying on the pilot to work out where boundaries are. Aerial fire lighting also has the added safety advantage over lighting from the ground in that a fire can be observed and mapped (GPS Moving Map) from the air. If the fire jumps a firebreak the ground crew can be quickly directed to the problem area.

movin' on
30th Jun 2006, 12:15
I believe that there is an updated "Skyfire" being used in central Qld. Much more compact with a few of the early glitches ironed out. Contact Mark at Reid Heliwork in Emerald..he will steer you in the right direction.:ok:

Mongrel Dog
30th Jun 2006, 12:32
If I recall, the mob that run the aviation trader are the dealer for the dragon eggs that you mentioned. If you pick up a copy they are usually advertised

CHOPPER74
1st Jul 2006, 00:35
Thank you all