PDA

View Full Version : Flight Precision

Nigel Gray
29th Jun 2006, 20:50
Hello chaps & chapesses,

Have an interview coming up with Flight Precision/FRA and looking to find out a bit more than just what's on the website.

First question is- what's the chance of getting command? I know on the FRA side of things up in Teeside, there is very very little chance of an F/O getting command of the Falcon 20 because of the requirement by the RAF that a certain percentage of the skippers are ex mil bods.

Second question- what's the work like? I think I have a fairly good idea, but if someone could spell it out to confirm/correct my understanding that would also be very helpful.

Any other comments on this, or Calibration flying in general, most welcome.

niknak
29th Jun 2006, 23:34
As far as I am aware the Flight cal operation is based at Teesside (BE20) amd the FA20 are based at Hurn.

Again, to the best of my knowledge, the MOD have no influence on who gets a command or not, it's entirely down to the company, if it were the case that the MOD had any sway over promotion it would be an unaccetable interference in company and CAA procedures.

Flight Cal' flying is extremely demanding work requiring a high degree of concentration and the ability to adapt to an ever changing scenario, often for 2 -3 hours at a time.
I would imagine it's as demanding flying as you are ever likely to encounter.

Flight Precision are taking on more and more work, in the UK, Europe and beyond, but are struggling to find the crews to volunteer to spend so much time away from home.

Haven't a clue about FR FA20 current operations.

Pitch Back
30th Jun 2006, 09:33
Hi,

I did an interview about a year ago for Flight Precision in Teeside. The interview itself was purely for Flight Precision ie the Calibration Flight however when we got there we were told that they were also looking for a pilot for the Falcon too.

The day pretty much went along the following:

It started with a presentation about the FRA group etc and their fleet and what type of work / conditions there are. Pay was discussed as was the time away from home etc.

After the presentation, there was a short questions and answers session. Where we could ask about the company in general and the possibility of moving onto the Falcons etc. There were around 5 of us in total. Tea and Coffee was on tap too which was nice!!!

We were then showed around the place and had an aircraft visit etc- it was very interesting. Whilst this was going on we were called one by one for interview.

The interview was relaxed and consisted of 3 people. It started off with the usual tell us about yourself and you pretty much walk them through your CV etc and your experience to date.

Then came a few technical questions - here are the ones I remember however they may have changed:

What is the coverage of an ILS???
How does a VOR work???
What would your actions be in severe icing??? Would you deploy flaps???
What is Vref???

There were afew more than this but that is all I can remember - it certainly was not a "grilling" more like a discussion so there is no need to worry. I was offered a job with a European TurboProp operator at the same time so I passed up the chance however it looks like a great company to work for.

I hope that helps.

Pitch Back.

High Viz Vest
30th Jun 2006, 10:58
Chances of getting a command on the Falcon are very slim, I spoke to a friend of mine who worked there in the past. Reading between the lines the r/h seat pilot is ther ejust to make up the numbers.

Starting pay is about £18 k.

angelorange
30th Jun 2006, 12:26
Starting salary will be upped very shortly. The Salary was also boosted in March with the scrapping of the TP v Jet pay - all newcomers now get same pay deal wether on Falcon with FRA or Be20 with FPL so 2nd year is around 33k. PM me for more info

For more see www.flightprecision.co.uk

Nigel Gray
3rd Jul 2006, 17:26
Thanks very much for the replies guys, very helpful. Pitch Back: check your PM's. Angelorange, tried to PM you but your box is full. Would be nice to pick your brains a bit more, if that's alright.

ComJam
3rd Jul 2006, 17:48
Nigel, check your PM's

NikNak, close but no cigar mate :) Four Beech 200's for calibration, 6 or 7 Falcons for the RAF part of the contract all based at Teesside.

High Viz, "to make up numbers", no not really, there's a lot of handling done by F/O's on both fleets. Both jobs are demanding in there own unique ways. The
Falcon due to the Military aspects, the Flight Calibration due to the accuracy of the flying invloved.

Cheers

Retsnud
7th Jul 2006, 16:30
Also in the same situation. I have an interview with FR this week in Teeside and have been trying to find out as much as i can about the company and what they like out of their FO's. Any info in addition to what has been posted would be appreciated.

M