PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Jettison

toolguy
29th Jun 2006, 18:28
Working on a project that will require fuel jettison for SAR cases and I know that Bristow and CHC has fuel jettison on S-61's, wondering what other civil aircraft have fuel jettison? Could be useful for safety when OEI to a rig to facilitate single engine landing.:confused:

Rusty Bifilar
29th Jun 2006, 18:42
Some BO-105's have fuel dump. Not sure if some require it or it's an option.

check
29th Jun 2006, 19:31
AS365N's had it, but I'm not sure about later models. Never had to use it but seem to remember that it could be taken into account for performance calculations.

ATN
29th Jun 2006, 22:54
All 365 Ns have it. It is an optionnal equipment and cannot be taken into account to increase payload. One is not supposed to land on a rig on one engine, except if the failure occurs after the CP.

Cheers

ATN

steve_oc
30th Jun 2006, 11:53
Fitted on the S61 as mentioned, and the 365N and N2. If you have a certified system you can get performance credit for example for flying at a weight heavier than your Cat A enroute OEI weight, on the basis that you dump fuel if necessary and drift down to minimum safe altitude if you lose an engine. Also useful for SAR if you suddenly need to pick up 18 fishermen and that would put you a tad overweight. The need for it also depends on the OEI performance of the basic aircraft (if you can hover on one at max weight there's probably no point in fitting fuel jettison, assuming your normal fuel load allows for a transit and burn down to a weight at which you could pick up the 18 and thus get back to max weight).

Blackhawk9
30th Jun 2006, 16:13
Finnish Frontier Guard Civil regd AS332 L1's have fuel dump fitted and CHC Australia have fuel dump fitted to there AS332L/L1's operating with Philips in East Timor. Fuel dump is an option on the AS332 but these are the only kits I know of fitted to non military AS332's in the world.

John Eacott
1st Jul 2006, 10:22
Funny story time ;)

Early Sea King days in the RN, the fuel dump pipe was a short tube exiting above the tail wheel: for reasons best not gone into, I convinced a Bucc mate that it was the fixture for the arrestor hook, needed when we got out of range of shore diversions so that we could do an arrested S/E landing if needed :ooh:

Took on a life of its own, and kept all us 826NAS drivers amused for days :ok:

Upland Goose
2nd Jul 2006, 14:04
There is also a kit for the AS355 Twin Squirrel - I've only seen the Flight Manual Supplement. I did consider it as a kit for some work we were bidding on for Ship's Pilot Transfer with the AS355N. Could have been handy in a jam - Greenpeace would not be happy though!

Bristow introduced "Fuel Dump" in the 70's on the S61N to derive a benefit in the "Group B Overland with Fuel Dump" payload recovery performance calculation, for departures from Aberdeen. Long ago outlawed by the Authorities. About the same time that single engined Public Transport at night was binned. We were mad in those days!

One would have needed a good raincoat and hat in Union Street had we used it in anger (not cleared below 1000ft AGL) - but I would have probably opened the tap anyway, as that would have been better than 9 tons of S61N trying to stretch it to the Bridge of Don.

Only ever used the S61N system in the Falklands to get to a weight (Twin OGE minus 15%) to go onto a rolling/heaving ship for a casevac.

Dumped like hell - I realised that this was a real bonus system to have. I hope they still carry the system today.

If I could have it on my corporate S76 now I would be happier - it's up there with loss of licence insurance for me!

UG:ok:

Cyclic Hotline
2nd Jul 2006, 17:08
Bristow S58T's had a fuel jettison system on the external aux tank. I can't recall if the Wessex had the same/similar system.

I also seem to remember someone taxying out with the S61 and inadvertently initiating the fuel dump, instead of arming the system. When they finished taxying down the runway, and turned into wind, they suddenly realised where the fuel smell was coming from - and all on a freshly resurfaced runway!:uhoh:

Apparently they had to use great caution with the goose-necks that night!:)

Aesir
2nd Jul 2006, 22:33
Icelandic Coast Guard SA365 Dauphin has fuel jettison. Can be seen just behind the landing gear.

The jettison envelope is between -500 to +1000´ VSI and between 40-70 kts. It will jettison a full tank in 6 min down to a 30 min fuel load left.

http://www.lhg.is/upload/images/large/23-4-2002-2611.jpg

karroo
3rd Jul 2006, 13:42
HI!!
PZL W3A SOKOL
Cheers