PDA

View Full Version : Damn... I didn't even make 1st interview

jynt
29th Jun 2006, 14:42
so i received my rejection letter today after sending off the application for the cadet programme last week. after reading all the information provided here regarding interviews and what not, i didn't think i'd be so unqualified to not even be given the chance for an interview. :{

naturally i'm gutted but maybe i have to accept that i just don't have what it takes to be a pilot. i kinda have the feeling that too much experience can work against an applicant. can anyone back me up on that?

a part of me wants to write CX to see if they could perhaps offer some reasons why i was so unsuitable compared to the other applicants.

does this mean i can't apply again?

i've also thought about applying as an FA and see if i could work my way into the cadet programme via that route. know if it's been done?

all i can say is that i envy those who've made it even as far as the 1st interview!!!

Lowspirited
29th Jun 2006, 15:10
Can i ask what are your exact qualifications and background? :uhoh:

boogie-nicey
29th Jun 2006, 15:17
Good idea to write in and politely ask for some feedback so that you can work and improve on those areas. Remember this is your first application and there will be many more yet and you can always save up the money and go self sponsered too. Just keep at it .... good luck .....

jynt
1st Jul 2006, 04:20
Good idea to write in and politely ask for some feedback so that you can work and improve on those areas. Remember this is your first application and there will be many more yet and you can always save up the money and go self sponsered too. Just keep at it .... good luck .....

thanks for the kind advice. you're right. it's my first application so i shouldn't give p so early. i will write later today and hopefully they can give me a little feedback on why i didn't make the first interview.

my guess is that it may have to do with my age (29 this year) or that i've had too much experience in different areas (don't they sometimes prefer a clean slate?).

as far as experienecs go, i have been teaching english for 3 years and i thought that my ability to communicate and give instructions clearly to people would be an asset for a pilot. and then i put down that i've lived in four different continents over the past ten years, demonstrating my international background and ease of deaing with people from different cultures. plus i'm fluent in english, cantonese, mandarin and french. i obtained A for both GCSE maths and physics. i've also spent 3-4 years in the IT field (since my uni major was in computer science) and i thought possessing technical skills and ability to think logically/methodically would be something they'd want. i also put down my MENSA membership to illustrate this further. finally i also stated that i spent 3 years serving homeless/eldery people and as a result have learned a lot about showing patience and remaining calm in tense situations, e.g. dealing with difficult passengers.

so i'm pretty lost and gutted as it is... but the battle is far from over so i shall trudge on with perserverence!

Glass Half Empty
2nd Jul 2006, 21:02
No expert, but by the age of 29 and interested in a flying career I would have thought you may have been able to make more in roads into sampling aviation. Such as a trial lesson or a passenger flight in a training aircraft or glider. Or a plan to save up and take your private pilots licence etc. The opportunity to get through the front door is probably going to go to those who have managed to show by deed rather than talk that a life in aviation is for them.

Could be wrong though!

jynt
3rd Jul 2006, 04:22
yeah, i know i could've done a lot more in the past ten years with aviation than what i've done. the truth is that i kissed the prospect good bye when i started wearing glasses and stopped growing. for some reason, i thought that all pilots HAD to have 20/20 vision and around 6 ft tall. i only found out this year that that is not the case, so here i am having a stab at chasing a childhood dream. it may be too late but it doesn't hurt to try. plus i now have a year to really work hard on proving my passion.

boogie-nicey
3rd Jul 2006, 09:53
At least you know now that you don't need to be superman to be a pilot and all countries have different requirements on eyesight and medical standards. What you do need to do is start researching about self funding your training in perhaps the states and then how you will convert that back in your country.

Your past experience is from my personal point of view very impressive and is more than most young people here in the West, who speak one language, rarely do any voluntary or social work and are in general far more selfish (but many, many of them aren't).

Speak to pilots not A PILOT that is one view but get a consenus (did I spell that right) about self funding. That way combine a holiday with training and start from there.

Glorified Donkey
3rd Jul 2006, 12:15
Are you only allowed one attempt. In my opinion aside from requesting some feedback, I would write them a letter thanking them for the opportunity and the time they spent reviewing your application. Its those kinds of letters that sometimes has them reconsider. And if not should you reapply as a SO later, if gives you a good name. Best of luck!

boogie-nicey
3rd Jul 2006, 12:55
That's right, keep the pressure up. Plan - pause - execute.....

jynt
3rd Jul 2006, 17:52
thanks a lot boogie-nicely and glorified donkey. i appreciate both your comments. at the moment a part of me is daydreaming that a nice letter would get them to reconsider my application so that i won't have to wait a whole darn year but that's probably wishful thinking. i just hope they didn't look at my age on the form and immediately tossed my application aside. it seems all those invited for the coming interview are pretty young.

boogie-nicey
4th Jul 2006, 09:38
At your age you should still be okay, however for sponsored training they have a bias for the younger the better. Maybe from 19years-24 years.

However as a self sponsored student you can look for training and time building course in the US. These normally take the path of training upto Commerical/ Instrument Rating and instructor ratings then you'll have the chance to build time upto 1500hrs with the school. This is normally done on a visa that allows about 2 years stay which includses work experience directly related to the course. (But I am no expert so you'll need to check that yourseld). Return to your country and get a job on piston twins/Turboprops and BEGIN.... at some point in your career you'll reach Cathay Pacific and similar airlines unnder your steam and effort.

:ok: