PDA

View Full Version : Two EK Questions

filejw
29th Jun 2006, 13:46
A review of B777 trips in march 06 show many trips of 3 or 4 days worth 14 hrs or so and others 9 days long paying 37 or 39 hrs. Is this the norm, 3 or 4 hrs pay per day. Its no wonder you only get 8 days off a mo.
Also is it true you need permission from your superviser to leave the UAE on your days off..Thanks

Muttley Crew
29th Jun 2006, 13:55
I never do local turn-arounds. The average (as I see it, anyway) trip is about 6-7 hrs long. Eg, Europe, Singapore, SIN to Australia. Generally a 24hr layover except where it suits the company to make it 12hours. so when you average it out over the entire trip length, yeah it comes down.

As for permission to leave the house, yes this is true on days off, as opposed to vacation.

So if you drive up to the whole in the wall (in the next emirate) on your day off, and get busted with a truck-load of bootlegged piss in your car, not only will the police enjoy locking you in the basement all tied up with the red ball in your mouth but the boss will be next in line when the cops are done...:ooh:

There's even a web-link to lodge your request to leave the house when you aren't working, complete with fields for where you will be and what number you'll be on. Hit "submit" and they will think about and let you know if it's ok!! :ok:

Yossarian
29th Jun 2006, 14:09
Yup, just like boarding school. Only we didn't have the web-link at school. Now, please sir, may I use the bathroom? :rolleyes:

Ray Darr
29th Jun 2006, 14:11
What a bunch of cr@p. :mad:

"Sir, permission to go pee?" said the FOUR YEAR OLD to the teacher. God, and to think this is 2006... No wait, I've been told that is incorrect where the mighty 'Rats roost.

PERMISSION to do what ever you WANT...to GO wherever you WANT?? ...on your DAYS OFF?? I know this "permission" bit is old news, but I would have voted that T & C when it came in by bending over and letting a loud one "e-flat" out, aimed at the appropriate managers: (_*_) ...mind you, "that" innocent part of me would have made a tempting target for the higher-ups, wouldn't it?! (yeah, that scares me, too....) :eek:

Nice, shiny ships do not maketh a dream airline. "Permission"?? What a crock!! Vote with your feet, boys...your sandy ship is sinking. :mad: :mad:

Best of luck to the 'Rats that want to escape.
~R.D.

grumpy_bugger
29th Jun 2006, 14:25
There is no requirement to be contactable on your days off. If you have no intention of answering the phone who gives a rats arse where you are:E

filejw
29th Jun 2006, 15:14
Thanks guys.I have been doing lots of research and these were my final two questions. The 3/4 hrs average pay per day explains a lot. I don't mind 90 days a month but I would prefer to do it in 10 or 12 days. And that permission to leave thing well to me that's a basic freedom and I'm not sure I'm willing to give that up. Don't know why anybody would. I've always thought it was my obligation to my employer to show up for work fully rested and prepared for the work at hand.What I do or where I go on my days off or vacation is no body's business as long as its legal.May be a deal breaker for me...have to think about it :)

ruserious
29th Jun 2006, 18:06
to me that's a basic freedom and I'm not sure I'm willing to give that up. Don't know why anybody would.
Its simple, they want to own and control our lives, to them we really are slaves, hence the lack of HR department, just recruitment and punishment

MASsenger
30th Jun 2006, 00:41
Permission to leave base on off days is real crap. Spent a few years with KU and had to put up with the same. It was called `exit permit’…….man, what a crock! Had to fill up a couple of forms and attach a copy of my civil ID, company ID and leave form. I would get all the paperwork done and submit them for the permit issuance two weeks prior to departure date. Once I was shafted for submitting my papers ` too early’. 2 weeks was too early for the bastards. They were only interested in processing the papers on the day of departure. Now if the officer in charge was not around that day, it`s `inshahallah’.

Always felt as if I was released on parole. The best thing I`ve done in my life is to get out of the ME, what a crap **** hole it is!!!

filejw
30th Jun 2006, 01:29
Well I must say I received some email's that say the permission thing is a non issue..guess the principle of it bothers me a bit..:}

BYMONEK
30th Jun 2006, 01:37
Well, I have to agree that it's appalling to ask for permission to 'leave' Dubai. I doubt for one minute that everyone does anyway.The rule should be written'permission to leave UAE' because that's what they really mean, surely! My take on it is that if it were that importantant, it should have been mentioned during recruitment and form part of the contract. Including it in the FOM does not cut it i'm afraid and may not look good in court if that was the sole reason for a dissmissal.Especially in a UK,US or European court of law.The excuse of "well, we're your sponsors so we need to know where you are" is complete tosh!

Having said all that, I've only heard of the very odd occassion of it being refused, and not from anyone directly effected so is it all a storm in a teacup? I think filejw is right in that it's the principle more than anything that winds people up. I've certainly not had a problem with it. The time to pick the fight would be if it were refused. If this starts happening on a regular basis then apart from a few sad muppets, most will not be answering their phones..........at home of course! ;)

trimotor
30th Jun 2006, 03:42
Chill. It's a non-issue, and not really related to EK, let alone the pilots. It's based on local 'labour laws', as a preventative agianst the labourers absconding.

Same applies to the cars that take us to work - we are just the labour being delivered to work - also required under the laws.

As for applying for being absent from Dubai - just log on to the pilot site and submit it. The 'accept' response is automatic.

Watchdog
30th Jun 2006, 14:33
I had the same requirement for a company I worked for in SIN too. I don't think it's just the ME.

uplock
1st Jul 2006, 05:39
Tri-Motor not really a non issue
Had this happen to me twice now in EK most recent last month, so it happens.

When I have leave now I do not bother asking as I had the unfortunate fate to become ill before my leave and was not allowed to leave town. Dr did not have a problem with me fleeing the coop, it was EK.

So around 4pm I get the OK to leave when my leave was sked to commence at midnight and my plane was sked to leave at 2200.

May not have happened to your self but in my case twice and I have not been in the sin bin just wanted to get out of the sand box on days off.