PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS F/O's for easyJet?

Alistair
29th Jun 2006, 08:45
We have been hearing rumours of QANTAS 737 F/O's coming up to the northern hemisphere to get a taste of some lo-co style poling for some time now. The last we heard there were 11 who had decided to take up the offer and take a working holiday for 12 months (more work than holiday, probably!). Any confirmation from the Aussie end or is this just another fanciful rumour?

Led Zep
29th Jun 2006, 09:48
Have heard such rumours this end but seeing as I don't fly for QF I cant tell you whether it holds some truth.

SkyScanner
29th Jun 2006, 11:07
They fly out of Australia for the UK tomorrow

SOPS
29th Jun 2006, 11:27
They are going to wonder what has hit them:uhoh:

Capn Bloggs
29th Jun 2006, 13:04
They are going to wonder what has hit them

If 200hr European FOs can hop straight into the right seat there, then it can't be too bad. Or are we now going to cop a load of the "fine weather, no hills" BS that we hear from time to time...

SOPS
29th Jun 2006, 13:13
I meant the work..not the flying conditions

haughtney1
29th Jun 2006, 14:43
If 200hr European FOs can hop straight into the right seat there, then it can't be too bad. Or are we now going to cop a load of the "fine weather, no hills" BS that we hear from time to time...:p ...but its true!!!
They will find it a bit of a culture shock..in more ways than one:ok: Goodluck to one and all:)

woftam
29th Jun 2006, 14:44
SOPS,
So you don't think flying 3-4 sector days in up to 3 variants a day (until recently -300,-400 and -800 could be flown in a single day) and 80 odd stick hours a month has prepared them for the perils that may await them?
:bored:

SOPS
29th Jun 2006, 15:59
I could be wrong..but I would hazard a guess they can be rostered for a lot more flying at Easy Jet than they can at QF. And the skeds are all written to the law..not to a company agreement. But if I am wrong..please correct me. We will wait and see.:)

haughtney1
29th Jun 2006, 16:02
So you don't think flying 3-4 sector days in up to 3 variants a day (until recently -300,-400 and -800 could be flown in a single day) and 80 odd stick hours a month has prepared them for the perils that may await them?
Woft..that kind of experience will do great things....it wont however get the Oz boys ready for flying in europe.:ok:
By the way..this isnt a d@ck measuring contest here..Ive done the NZ/Oz thing and Europe..they are both different animals.
Factor in weather (yes it gets crappy in Oz too)..factor in a movement every 90 seconds..(rare in OZ...except at peak times)..factor in 4 different languages spoken in 4 different ATC sectors (cant remember that in OZ)..then factor in the most congested airspace anywhere in the world, and will will begin to have some idea:)
I think they will love the challenge..for a month or two..by then they will have it sussed:ok:

Alistair
29th Jun 2006, 16:26
Any ideas as to where they are bound? Is it only for the delights of London Luton or will they be coming oop t' North to Geordie land or the green fields of Northern Ireland?

ps 2nd the dick measuring contest thing, some of these guys will have possibly flown long haul into Europe, regardless they will quickly get used to it. However if they were looking for some time to have a look around Europe on a paid holiday then they might struggle a bit.

SOPS
29th Jun 2006, 16:45
Exactly want I was meaning, Alistair

pakeha-boy
29th Jun 2006, 17:21
come on you "boys"...toughen-up a little bit will ya....those of us flying overseas(ex-pats)made it this far...what makes you think these blokes wont????.....it.ll do them a lot of good....at least theyll have something real to complain about....PB

Cloud Cutter
29th Jun 2006, 21:48
I'm still getting over 3-4 sector days being considered hard yards. Try 6-8.

BundyBlack
29th Jun 2006, 22:53
I'm terrified of changing from a -300 to a -400 :}

Ejector
29th Jun 2006, 23:56
I heard that the many are going over on a 12month JAR validation issued by varries authorities. Afther 12 months, not sure what happens.

SkyScanner
30th Jun 2006, 00:10
Probably Luton base

woftam
30th Jun 2006, 01:44
If it's not a dick measuring contest,there sure are a lot of people with over inflated ideas of how hard it is over there. BTW have been there too.;)

Ron & Edna Johns
30th Jun 2006, 02:36
For crying out loud. I cannot believe some of the attitudes running through this thread - that of "we do it tougher than you", etc etc. Sounds like the schoolyard all over again.

These guys are going for a change of scenery, to broaden their experience, to see how aviation is done elsewhere. No one thinks it's going to be a walk-in-the-park, indeed they expect the work to be at least the same or harder. But so what? It's our nature to rise to challenges and work hard.

I'd be doing the same if I had residency rights, etc. It'll be a tough, but great, experience! Good on them!

F/O Bloggs
30th Jun 2006, 05:21
I reckon its easier over there.
CTA-CTA.
Things called radar.
Even the Italian ATC was good.

Enjoy the social times boys.:ok:

PS
My D@ck is bigger. :E

3 Holer
30th Jun 2006, 05:26
I can't believe QF have enough 737 F/Os to release 11 for a 12 month Euro holiday. This has got to be a wind up. :=

Keg
30th Jun 2006, 05:45
737 F/Os have been over establishment for a while now- 12 months or so?!?!. I've never asked why that was the case but I wouldn't necessarily believe the answer provided anyway! :eek:

As for 744 F/Os, no ad hoc leave granted for at least the last three bid periods and phone calls every few days offering extra hours for standbys, etc. Still, there are a few guys coming through and so hopefully things will sort themselves out within the next few months! :ugh:

Tankengine
30th Jun 2006, 06:05
SOPS,
considering that the guys are coming off a CAO 48 exemption then it is fair to say - "you are wrong!";)

B A Lert
30th Jun 2006, 06:07
737 F/Os have been over establishment for a while now- 12 months or so?!?!. I've never asked why that was the case but I wouldn't necessarily believe the answer provided anyway! :eek:

The surplus may have something to do with the transfer of domestic flying to Jetstar, but no one has the b@lls to say so?

Sonny Hammond
30th Jun 2006, 06:08
The Qf 737 has had too many f/o's for nearly 5 years. It took them until last year to admit it.
Thats why qf 73 f/o's have scratched for hours for a while. Combined with the odd command failure...

Keg
30th Jun 2006, 10:01
The surplus may have something to do with the transfer of domestic flying to Jetstar, but no one has the b@lls to say so?

Whilst I'm not shy of giving the company a serve on issues that they deserve (optional OBM course for prospective Captains for example), I don't believe we can argue transfer of business as a reason for having excess 737 F/Os. Over the last five years, the number of 737s has grown and then plateaued. It has not decreased. The flying hours has done the same. Any 737 capacity sent to Jitconnect has been replaced by 738s. Therefore we haven't 'lost' airframes and thus found ourselves over establishment and I don't believe that we've lost that many flying hours to leave ourselves that far over establishment, we've just trained too many F/Os. I'm happy to see figures that show otherwise.

Now, perhaps I should start a new thread to discuss the 'optional' status of the only formal course QF had dedicated to training their prospective skippers in basic tenents of leadership, communication, etc and why osmosis should not be considered an effective learning tool. :E

king oath
30th Jun 2006, 13:13
Not just "boys" either. At least one lady also.

haughtney1
30th Jun 2006, 14:33
If it's not a dick measuring contest,there sure are a lot of people with over inflated ideas of how hard it is over there. BTW have been there too

I didnt read any of that...like has been said..its just different, definitely more challenging IMHO though:ok:

I reckon its easier over there.
CTA-CTA.
Things called radar.
Even the Italian ATC was good

Easier isnt a word I would use....., CTA-CTA..point taken..except when I had a look on my EHSI this morning...I counted 10 contacts all within 16 miles and 2000ft:ok:
You must have been in Italian airspace on one of those rare days that no one else is....Italian ATC is abysmal...Ive personally filed 3 ASR's and been given a vector towards 12000ft of granite:yuk:

I'm still getting over 3-4 sector days being considered hard yards. Try 6-8
Nah 6-8 aint bad in a T/P in NZ:ok: at least if memory serves:ok:

Its different plain and simple. Im sure the QF guys/gals will enjoy the challenge and variety.

blueloo
1st Jul 2006, 00:42
Ah antipodean...doesnt it mean diagonally opposite to? ....

And whilst Australia is referred to as antipodean...surely England would be as well........after all if you are saying Australia is diagonally opposite to...then.....

Anyway....completley off the point. :E

Riddick
2nd Jul 2006, 04:36
Well the rumour is true 15 FOs went to easy jet through the recruiting company PARC aviation.

What I find hard to believe is people thinking that this is a bad thing. First of all what an opportunity, for who ever goes, to experience different flying and different company operations. The knowledge they can gather could be of benefit in the future. Qantas is not the be all and end all.

Secondly Ive heard that the divisor has now gone from high 60s to mid 70s, again a good thing.

Yes they have a few too many FOs but you must remember they are only gone a year, so go party. Im just jeleaous (however you spell it) that I could not go.

Chilli Muscle
4th Jul 2006, 08:53
And into the valley of Jetstar rode the fifteen.
Ours is not to reason why !
:D

scrotometer
6th Jul 2006, 16:47
they arrived here at EZY in UK 3 days ago. 8-10 I believe for 12 mths. currently preparing for LVP training in the sim of which they have no experience of-yet.

scrote

haughtney1
6th Jul 2006, 20:40
currently preparing for LVP training in the sim of which they have no experience of-yet.

Eh?

QF dont train em up to CAT3A??......their 800's must be capable of that :uhoh:

The 330/767/747 must surely be CAT3B capable :oh:

Visual Procedures
6th Jul 2006, 22:30
Indeed the long haul planes and crews are qualified thus.

(slows voice down, adds country twang)

Here in down under we don't even have cat II ils's... Don't understand what you need them crazy things for... We have NDBs!! :\

Tankengine
7th Jul 2006, 01:24
Of course they need a sim to do LVP the easyjet way and learn some company specific procedures.
At least some of them would recently have done the QF new technologies course in RNP and in support of HUD ops with vis down to 150m.:ok:
QF pilots with this course are as highly trained as possibly any in the world,
FACT, not rumour!:E
Training down to cat 3 now, unfortunately can't use in anger in Aus due to Airservices not giving any of us the ground equipment.:mad:

haughtney1
7th Jul 2006, 08:37
Training down to cat 3 now, unfortunately can't use in anger in Aus due to Airservices not giving any of us the ground equipment

Ahh ok...Im gonna send a few "pointed" emails to my QF mates on the NG about LVP's:}

I suppose it only gets foggy in Melbourne and Canberra anyway!;)