PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way back to Oz for Christmas?

anotheraussieintheuk
29th Jun 2006, 06:04
Gday

My employer has graciously given me Christmas and New Year off this year.........surely its a mistake, but anyway........

It mean the 4 of us Aussies could actually return to Australia for the Christmas and New Year for once.

Do any of you PPruners have experience of getting out of the UK in the last few days beofre Christmans, and then back out of Oz in the early New Year.

I am pretty sure we will have to buy real tickets, but am wondering if there is anyone knows of any quite routes at that time of year (probably fat chance). And I said quiet routes, not quiet roots before any of you start!!!!

Hooroo

Charles Abetz
29th Jun 2006, 07:52
You could Swim?

Pass-A-Frozo
29th Jun 2006, 08:18
Steal a loaf of bread and be sentenced to transportation to New South Wales? :} oh wait.. they stopped that scheme didn't they.

international hog driver
29th Jun 2006, 08:38
Ex- UK .....Thomsonfly

By far the cheapest but also not the best. Last year it was a 767-200 with about 270(ish) seats by memory. Via the middle east and singapore to Sydney. A friend paid about 300 quid return.

Personally I always go Austrian (ex Lauda) on the 777, it is by far the quickest (and well priced) way from europe to Oz, pretty comfy and cart tarts aren't to bad on the eye:ok:

If you have dates now, then book now dont wait.

The Messiah
29th Jun 2006, 09:11
If you go Thomsonfly don't take excess baggage as they will sting you big time. End up costing more than the ticket.

Chimbu chuckles
29th Jun 2006, 09:16
Try RBA. LHR-DXB-BWN-BNE (or SY).

It's a 'dry' airline but you can BYO. In my view the lack of booze service is a big plus.

Breaks to stretch the legs every 8 hrs no really bad thing either.

Taildragger67
29th Jun 2006, 09:25
You've missed the boat for any cheapies in Cattle (unless you risk waiting right until the end for some fill-'em-up specials). Might be better off checking out the business class companion specials which sometimes pop up eg. Royal Brunei, China Eastern (tried 'em recently and survived!!), Air China, Gulf, ie. think of a non-standard carrier on the route and give them a whirl through Google. You'll probably do better keeping an eye out on some of the travel agents' websites rather than the carriers' sites. Can suggest a few via PM (can't mention names on the boards!!).

Good luck!

anotheraussieintheuk
29th Jun 2006, 10:51
Thanks for those, keep them coming, messages via PM's are fine too.

I could swim, but the kids have grown up in the UK, so cant swim as far as the missus and I, so that option is a bit harsh on them.

Sadly nowadays, I think nothing at all is done if you steal a loaf of bread.......there again, I think you would lose your UK airside pass (but I would still have my ASIC!!)..........relatives tried that approach with a silver tankard a century and a half ago.....thats how we ended up in Oz in the first place!!!! Good on em!!

Mr Proachpoint
29th Jun 2006, 10:54
Be a foxy model, get busted with some tabs of X, plead guilty in a burkha, chop out 3 months in the slammer and get whisked off home business class. Home by October at the latest................

MAPt

tinpis
1st Jul 2006, 01:46
By far the cheapest but also not the best. Last year it was a 767-200 with about 270(ish) seats by memory. Via the middle east and singapore to Sydney. A friend paid about 300 quid return.
Gawd....that is CHEAP !

Agree with chuck RBA is a good family carrier . A more couth type of punter being a dry show.:ok:

RBA = Reduced Bogan Airlines :hmm:

anotheraussieintheuk
1st Jul 2006, 10:38
Ahhhh so that is what RBA stands for, I had mistaken the Bogan for Brunei, I will have to remember that.

I had a look at commercial tickets with QF out of Japan, they wanted AUS$20,000.............we could travel First Class from the UK for that!!

Still a toss up whether to spend it in the UK, or take the rare opportunity to have Christmas in Oz.