PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Italy

JohnR
28th Jun 2006, 16:29
I am planning a trip from UK to Italy and wonder if anyone has any advice regarding GA flying in Italy

YYZ
28th Jun 2006, 16:41
Not very helpful but, I was there last week, and will be there again this weekend in a SEP aircraft, No difference from the UK for me, I file a flight plan for each flight and away you go, all the ATC I spoke to were great and helped out where they could.

Enjoy the trip!

YYZ

scooter boy
28th Jun 2006, 22:40
You will probably be fine if you burn jetA1 but avgas supplies can be a problem. Could not get avgas within a 150nm radius of Verona Villafranca on a Sunday as everybody was at mass worshiping the pope. Porca miseria! It may be worth establishing fuel availability before you go.
ATC are fine and as professional as elsewhere - the only thing is that you have to say ciao convincingly (with an Italian accent) though when you get handed over. Enjoy the trip. Especially the pizza.
SB

YYZ
29th Jun 2006, 10:37
I agree with the Avgas issue! Like said, get something with Jet A1 (I'm in a Diamond) and you should be fine.

YYZ

planeenglish
29th Jun 2006, 10:43
I am planning a trip from UK to Italy and wonder if anyone has any advice regarding GA flying in Italy

Hi John R,

It depends on where you will be. Airports are often closed to suit the managers needs so be sure to check first. Many are closed on Mondays, some on Tuesdays, etc.

I live in Milan and know that Vergiate is doing some work on their runway and is closed.

Buon divertimento e buon appetito,

PE

papazulu
29th Jun 2006, 18:08
JonhR...

register here www.enav.it (http://www.enav.it) to have right to check Italian AIP. As in UK you will find aerodromes opening timetables, fuel availability, phones and so on...Lots of flying clubs have their own fuel pit but they may not refuel you as their are not allowed to give a bill. The Guardia di Finanza (Inland revenue police...unique in the world) likes to storm into their offices...When it comes to taxes Italy is not longer the belpaese that everybody dreams for.

Have fun but mind the weather. blistering hot, humid and hazy like Birmania's jungle early in the morning!

Take care

:ok: PZ

JohnR
29th Jun 2006, 19:29
Thanks for all the advice. Am going to Perugia in an Aztec so I will check on AVGAS beforehand

John

kms901
30th Jun 2006, 02:22
There is definitely avgas at Perugia, supplied by AirBP. Or you could contact Aeroclub di Perugia. Or ENAC, who run the airfield.