PDA

View Full Version : History of a particular DH82A

EGBKFLYER
28th Jun 2006, 08:35
I'd like to research the history of a particular Tiger Moth - can anyone point me at where to start? I know where it is now and I have the reg/ construction number/ ex-RAF reg number. I'm hoping to get together a brief history of wher the a/c has been and what it's done in answer to numerous queries on it.

foxmoth
28th Jun 2006, 08:56
Try the dH moth club
http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/
Also, if you give the reg there are probably many on here that will know!

EGBKFLYER
28th Jun 2006, 09:27
Thanks - it's NSF Sibson's G-ANSM.

jabberwok
29th Jun 2006, 03:33
Built 1942 as R5014 for the RAF c/n 82909. It's a genuine DH machine and not one of the many built by Morris Motors.

You can get the RAF service record easily enough. I note that the CAA say it wasn't registered as G-ANGM until 1954 but it wasn't (as far as I can see) given an RAF M serial so it must have remained active until that time - or in storage. It was recorded as going to the Torbay Aircraft Museum in 1971.

EGBKFLYER
29th Jun 2006, 05:24
Thanks Jabberwok - just confirm that it was a typo in your post and you are talking about G-ANSM? The Torbay connection is interesting. Can you advise on how I would obtain the RAF service record?

Max Tow
29th Jun 2006, 11:04
PM me with what you need!

jabberwok
30th Jun 2006, 02:43
Yep - should be G-ANSM. Don't know where the G came from..

Years ago you could get the service records from the RAF Air Historic Branch but it may be worth checking the RAF web pages in case these have moved to Hendon.

Malcolm G O Payne
30th Jun 2006, 19:23
Tiger Moths were certainly in RAF service until 1954 with the Reserve Flying Schools. The government of the day opened membership of the RAFVR to PPL holders in 1950 because of the sudden demand on the armed forces due to the Korean War. I was lucky enough to be admitted to 12RFS at Filton and spent 3 years prior to entering the RAF flying the Tiger and Chipmunk at Filton and Hamble.It was like being a member of a very good flying club - and being paid forit!

chris keeping
2nd Jul 2006, 10:03
I remember G-ANSM very well. My association with her started when I was about 15 and terminated in 1970 when I came to Hong Kong, where I still reside. In 1965 she was owned by the Devon and Somerset gliding club, then based at Dunkeswell. She was used as the club tug aircraft. Later, when the club relocated to North Hill, the club's current site she moved there. She was flown by a number of pilots although Geoff Tregonning was her most frequent tug pilot. I have since lost touch with him, although I believe that he later moved to Cornwall and flew a short time on the route to the Scilly Isles. In those days G-ANSM sported silver wings and a maroon fuselage. I can recall going to the gliding club very early on most weekends to help Geoff prepare her for the first flight of the day. Swinging props and tapping magnetos, to be rewarded by a 10 to 15 minute hop. Happy days. I hope that she is still airborne and in good condition.

JW411
2nd Jul 2006, 10:20
This is the second time that I've donned my anorak this week:

c/n 82909 to RAF as R5014

Served with 18 EFTS, 6 FTS and RAF Hemswell

G-ANSM reserved on 03.06.1954

Sold on 25.06.1954

Hope that helps.

EGBKFLYER
3rd Jul 2006, 08:41
Awesome - thank you all. Have already passed some of the newly-gathered info onto a couple of trial flighters yesterday...

For those who are interested, you can see G-ANSM at Peterborough Sibson airfield or on the club website www.nsof.co.uk:ok: