PDA

View Full Version : Baron Information

vh_ajm
28th Jun 2006, 04:54
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good online reference material for a Baron 55 or anything else in the series. Looking at getting into one soon but it will be a while 'til I get close to a flight manual.

Cheers,

VH-AJM.

megle2
28th Jun 2006, 22:33
This won't help you at all but a little history of AJM

AJM used to be a B55 belonging to Mactaggarts.
AJM stands for Amanda Jane Mactaggart, daughter of the CEO.
When she grew up Amanda featured in one of the original Australian Playboy
magazines.

Don't know what happened the original AJM Baron.

tinpis
29th Jun 2006, 02:04
To hell with the Baron what issue of Playboy was it ? :E

morno
29th Jun 2006, 02:39
I wonder if they can do backorders, :hmm:, I'm sure we could all rustle up enough for them to redo it, :}.

morno

BARON DRIVER
29th Jun 2006, 02:58
Hi VH-AJM,

What information are you looking for on the baron? I too have not found much info about the aircraft on the web, well not info for pilots anyway?

Let me know and ill see if i can help?
Here or as a priv msg

Cheers,

Blue Sky Baron
29th Jun 2006, 04:40
Which model are you interested in? B, C, D, or E?

BSB:ok:

megle2
29th Jun 2006, 08:31
Well that brought life to the thread.
The office / branches of Mactaggarts also came alive!
When, I can't remember but maybe first year.
Maybe " feathers " the pilot can recall.
What ever happened to feathers Cunningham?

vh_ajm
2nd Jul 2006, 10:25
Just looking for general info. Speeds and operational information and anything unique to the aircraft.

Looks like I'll just wait til I can take a look at the manual.

Thanks for those who helped.

AJM

Tiger 77
2nd Jul 2006, 14:21
I usually bring the old bird in at 75kts, touchdown at 70. Full brakes after touchdown allows a landing roll of about 180m with nil wind. This is at MTOW so a little slower is ok at lighter weights.

Just for interest, the DHC-5 will come over the fence at 55kts, with a total landing roll of 60m.

Cheers,

Tiger.

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Jul 2006, 14:37
Tiger....I think you're holding on too tight:hmm:

vh_ajm
3rd Jul 2006, 13:51
Hrm, was at work on my last post so I will try and be a little more specific.

If anyone can tell me what kind of TAS to expect, range, endurance, and any other idiosynchrosy anyone here may know of.

Again, a reference would be appreciated but failing that I'd also appreciate any anecdotal information.

Specific to the B55 would be best. Thanks for the help so far.

QSK?
4th Jul 2006, 03:43
vh-ajm:

Have you tried here?:

http://www.esscoaircraft.com/category_s/2401.htm

PLovett
4th Jul 2006, 03:49
vh-ajm

Check your emails and contact me if you need the info sheets. :ok:

bushy
4th Jul 2006, 12:40
The C55 baron actually has a chart for accelerate/go distance, so you can figure out how much distance you need to climb to 50 feet if you get an engine failure at liftoff.

vh_ajm
4th Jul 2006, 14:37
Checked pm/email but nothing there.

For others who are interested I did find SOME information on airliners.net:

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=325

Cheers.

VH-AJM.

Defenestrator
4th Jul 2006, 21:15
This may be some help.

http://data.aopa2.org/pilotmag/aircraftdb/specsdtl.cfm?ac_id=125

http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/exec/airspec.cgi?results=0&maker=Beech&model=baron

Defenestrator :ok:

tinpis
4th Jul 2006, 21:24
f anyone can tell me what kind of TAS to expect, range, endurance, and any other idiosynchrosy anyone here may know of.

B58

Plan at 3 miles a minute

5 hours endurance full tanks for planning bout right

Watch the cute little bobble after lift off

Face the front and drive like any other plane

You will get into trouble veeeeery quickly if you dont know what you are doing :hmm:

vh_ajm
5th Jul 2006, 04:29
Hi all and thanks again.

One last question...

Looking at a fairly substantial Navex to build some hours after endorsement and want to take pax to prevent bordem. In terms of balance, would it take 4 POB and say 10kg bags each or would it be best to limit it to 2 pax (ie 3 POB)?

Thanks again.

Chimbu chuckles
5th Jul 2006, 04:44
A 55 baron is really a 4 seater with LOTs of room for baggage. CofG a non issue due to nose baggage compartment. Throw in 5 or 6 bums and things start to get more challenging from a 'where to put stuff' point of view and CofG.

I will be surprised if 4 + 40 kg cannot be carried with full fuel....but it's been a LONG while since I had anything to do with Barons.

190KTAS/120 liters/hr (3nm-2lt/min) would be good cruise planning figures. 2nm-3lt/min for climb planning.

So a 400nm sector at 8000'

climb 10 mins 20nm 30 liters
cruise 124 mins 380nm 250 liters
reserve 45 mins 90 liters
Taxi 4 liters

Roughly speaking. If aircraft has Gamijectors and an all cylinder engine monitor allowing LOP operation the cruise figure would be more like 210 liters and fixed reserve 60 liters.

vh_ajm
5th Jul 2006, 07:12
Awesome chuckles.

Thats pretty much all I need.

Thanks to everyone else also...BIG HELP.
:ok: :D

Jamair
5th Jul 2006, 13:11
These figures are for a 1975 B55 with IO-470s

VNE 224
VA/B 157
VS 80
VSO 65
VMCA 78
VY 107
VX 84
VYSE 99
VXSE 91
VXWMAX 22
VFE1 153 (1st)
VFE2 122 (Full)
VLO 153

TAKEOFF CONFIGURATION:
Full Power, Max RPM, Mix Full Rich or As Recommended per POH

CLIMB: Full Power, 2500 RPM, Mixture Full Rich, 120kt IAS, reduce mix per alt scale settings.

CRUISE: Power, RPM & Mixture -Set per POH. (20"/2300 75 RoP works pretty well at 6-8 thousand')

DESCENT: Reduce MP 5" (yields 500 FPM descent) then 1" / min as required (as MAP increases during descent). Gear alarm @ 18”

APPROACH / CIRCUIT: 15" MP, Downwind 110kt, Base 100kt, Final 90kt.

Before considering any loading, go to the ATSB website and look up the report on the B55 that crashed near Cooma due to gross overloading and incorrect C of G (6 x full size adults and all their ski gear....). Also consider the Air Safety Mag story 2 months ago about loss of control with a partial panel in IMC. Barons are fine pilots aeroplanes but those laminar flow wings and touchy CoG can BITE, hard and quick. You seriously need to stay ahead of the aircraft. That said, once you are used to them, they are very nice.

Macrohard
5th Jul 2006, 13:11
Not sure about the B55 as I only flew one of that variety, but the B58 had at least 2 different size fuel tanks. The larger was significantly of larger volume than the smaller one. Make sure you know what size tanks you have!

Blue Sky Baron
5th Jul 2006, 23:11
For some handy w & b calculations, if you have champagne flight planner you can do sample flight plans for all legs which include w & b calculations using the Baron sample aircraft built into the program.

If you are genuinely serious in learning as much as you can about the Bonanza/Baron, their performance, operating proceedures and tips for efficient/safe operations the Australian Bonanza Society conducts Pilot Proficiency Programs regularly and are a most valuble source of information.
Email address: [email protected], don't think I'm allowed to post the website address here. :cool:

There are many differences between some of the Baron models (fuel capacity in particular) but also w & b between 55 & 58. The C, D, & E models are the "rockets" with TAS around the 200kt range (if you can afford the fuel burn at that speed!)

BSB :ok:

PLovett
6th Jul 2006, 01:39
It seems that most of the info that I tried to email to you has now been posted by others.

However, the B55 does have an aft CoG problem with loads. The handbook contains loading rules for the number of pax to be carried. Stick to them. Jamair's reference to the ATSB investigation of the B55 crash at Cooma is a classic of what can go wrong when those rules are ignored.

Chimbu chuckles figures looked like a B58 or 55D or E model with the OE-520 engines. The B55 is about 180 TAS and 110 litres/hour. The one I flew yesterday got 176 kts and about 105 litres/hour. Yesterday I had 2 pax (actually standard weight - I am not unfortunately :( ) plus minimim bags, full tanks (536 lt) and I was 16 kg under MTOW (2313 kg).

They are a great aircraft but need to be flown to the numbers to get the best out of them and to be safe. Jamair's figures are a good guide. Enjoy. :ok:

Chimbu chuckles
6th Jul 2006, 06:38
You're right...my figures were for an E...or anything with an IO520....figured they'd be just slightly conservative for the lower powered ones so safe for all....personally only ever flown the E55 and B58.

vh_ajm I would be mortified if you launched with only my numbers...they were intended as rules of thumb...to be used in conjunction with the actual aeroplane's AFM and W&B data....not that I think you would:ok: