PDA

View Full Version : To B717/MD90 Pilots

Tarq57
28th Jun 2006, 01:29
Finally had a chance to fly in (the back of) a 717-200 (BKK-KoSamui then Samui-SIN) and gained the impression from the way it took off, climbed, and seemed to handle generally that it was a pretty hot piece of kit.Fair leaped off the ground, especially at KoSamui which isn't over-long. We had a full (pax) load, temperature about 33C,tailwind about 5kt. Used less than half the runway, climbed like a fighter straight off the ground.
So my 1st question is simple: Is it nice to fly? And I realize the answer must be somewhat subjective; that's expected.
And second: The leading edge flaps stayed down for a long time after takeoff. Until about 5000ft. The wind noise decreased substantially when they were retracted. I'd guess the speed at somewhere above 210 indicated. Normal?
Third: I understand they aren't built anymore. The one's I flew on seemed pretty new. Anyone, perhaps working at Bankok Airways, able to comment on the age of these aircraft?
Thanks.

Bangkokeasy
28th Jun 2006, 02:14
I don't drive these things, but have flown in the back a few times. I believe they are around 4-5 years old and I think they were bought new at the time. Bangkok Airways have 4 in the fleet. They are an improvement on the old ATRs they also fly, but I take it you didn't sit in the last 2-3 rows right in the back. I had the misfortune of sitting there once and can say that the noise from the engines, particularly during taxi, was almost unbearable. You are sitting right by the engines and the insulation is woefully inadequate.

OpsSix
29th Jun 2006, 07:24
I flew in one from Barcelona to Madrid and I sat next to the #1 engine. The noise was fantastic and I was most impressed by the performance of the aircraft.

Tarq57
29th Jun 2006, 07:30
Thanks for the feedback. Must admit I was a bit canny about seating, (I request particular seats pretty much every flight) and sat up front on the first sector. No engine noise, but the airflow over the flight deck roof was fairly loud. Next sector we got seats just forward of the wing. Pretty much perfect.:ok: