PDA

View Full Version : storm scope/weather radar

McGowan
27th Jun 2006, 23:02
Does anyone know of a good, but not overly expensive, storm scope/weather radar suitable for a Bell 407. I have a fair idea of the difference between the two (weather radar is actually a radar and picks up rain and the storm scope picks up lightening) but any more advice on that would be good as well.

rotorque
28th Jun 2006, 01:03
Hi McGowan,

Give the NSW Police Aviation Support Branch a call. In particular Phil (CP). They have one in the BK and should be able to give you a run down.

I didn't use it much I have to admit, when there was little strikes with little plusses (+) everywhere, I was too busy looking outside......

BLACKHELI
28th Jun 2006, 01:45
DON'T FLY IN CRAP WEATHER. BIRDS DON'T, NIETHER SHOULD WE!

McGowan
28th Jun 2006, 02:34
Mr Selfish, yes it is me.......
Understand that the weather radar would be by far the better option, what do they cost and can one be stuck to a 407??
BLACKHELI, always thought you pilot/engineers were poofs......
Are you available to do a tail rotor drive shaft retorque later this week, early next week?????????????

22clipper
28th Jun 2006, 08:10
Birds don't fly out to sea at night & loiter waiting for big boats either Blackie! Anyway you two were havin' that IMC debate when I left yas on Monday, & here you are still at it two days later. Ain't yous got nuffin' better to do?

The fix is easy. For a lot less than either of those panel mount devices I'll fly the Robbie ahead of the 407 (or the 500) while holding a white cane out in front. When the sharpened end of the cane prods a mountain goat we'll hear the bleet. Simple!

arismount
28th Jun 2006, 09:57
Go to the link below and click on the XM Satellite Weather icon.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gns430/

This will explain how the NEXRAD weather radar images can be uplinked to your Garmin.

If you go to the XM Satellite Weather site, you can see that it's available for many other nav/EFB devices as well. But since most people are going with Garmin today, I sent you that link.

IMO this uplink of NEXRAD images is by far the most bang for the buck...most of the utility and features of weather radar for a fraction of the cost. In fact the only drawback/difference between on-board radar and this product is that the radar "picture" only updates every few minutes. At helicopter speeds, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you absolutely have to have real-time information, then bite the bullet and buy a weather radar, because in my experience the Stormscope-type devices don't present much useful information for weather avoidance in VFR helicopter applications.

Disguise Delimit
28th Jun 2006, 10:36
Nexrad might be hunky-dory in the USA but it doesn't do the job in the depths of the Hunter Valley in Oz.

McG, the cost and weight of weather radar (and cg) might be justified for IFR, when you are inside one cloud and want to see what is inside the next one.

But for VFR? A toy perhaps? Peer out the window. But if your boss has limitless pockets (and rumours of your salary indicate this might be the case!) then let him buy one.:sad:

28th Jun 2006, 11:56
Hi Mr McGowan
Never used a Storm Scope, but if it is only lightning protection then I'd be staying away anyway.
The wx radar on the bird I fly is dam good. It picks up lots of pretty colours and also, as mentioned before ships at sea etc.
It is still useful for VFR, as at least you can tell how deep the cell or front (line) is before you decide to push on through it or if you need to pick the thinest part of the line.
A possible problem with low alt / wx detection will be picking the radar (plate) elevation and seperating ground paints (hills) vs wx.
Anyway, if the boss will put it in go for it.
PM me if you specifics on the one I use.
Keep well.

bellfest
28th Jun 2006, 13:07
Birds don't fly out to sea at night & loiter waiting for big boats either Blackie!

I clearly recollect the gorey remnants of a booby birds insides spread from asshole to breakfast time over a BK117 that could challenge that statement:eek:

topendtorque
28th Jun 2006, 13:35
Anyway you two were havin' that IMC debate when I left yas on Monday, & here you are still at it two days later. Ain't yous got nuffin' better to do?

The fix is easy. For a lot less than either of those panel mount devices I'll fly the Robbie ahead of the 407 (or the 500) while holding a white cane out in front. When the sharpened end of the cane prods a mountain goat we'll hear the bleet. Simple!

Hey clipper, you're a bastard and getting dangerously close to the hillbilly headwaters and the phsyco goats up in them thar hills with yer language. all's needed is to start using yer verbs in past imperfect tense, Queensland style like - the robbie has came up first and prodded - like.

BTW did I mention you should also think about using the word - like-. Put that all together, it'd just about get yer over Mt Tamborine but not Bellenden ker or Kosioscko I don't think -- like--.

22clipper
28th Jun 2006, 22:43
I is sooo jealous of McGowan's job these days Topend. I'll never forget his words to me a decade ago after I'd struggled through the the PPL exam, "If you can auto it anywhere onto the airfield I'll give you the ticket". I was so used to instructors tellin' me when & where to lower the lever that the shock of a free choice almost locked me up on the controls.

As for the writing style well it ain't nearly half as good as the posts from 'ol cotton mouf in the GOM but you all will just have to likes it or lump it (like).

Oogle
29th Jun 2006, 12:56
Ok, all that Aussie garble behind us? Back to the original question ......

If you really must have something, go for the Stormscope. The ONLY reason I say that is because they are cheaper and you won't be looking at it much.

We have a wx radar in our SPIFR aircraft and I hardly have the need to turn it on.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, if it saves you once it's worth it. I agree. But the wx radar for a VFR single engine machine? Forget it.

If you really must have a wx radar, go for a multi-function display. That way you can interface GPS, TCAS, Wx radar, terrain avoidance, etc. into it. KMD 550 or MX-20 are the two I have used and they are great.

In the end, it's up to you!

McGowan
30th Jun 2006, 00:34
Gentlemen,
It looks like the storm scope will get the nod.
Price is of course the reason as well as the fact that it can be usefull on some occasions. It will add a little bit of comfort coming home after dark to get conformation that the "light show" in front of me is actually 50 miles off shore.
I will still keep my night flying to clear nights and some moon as usual, but every now and again the storms out to sea do look a lot closer than they are and the weather man has been known to make the odd mistake.
The weather radar would be a must if I was IFR, but as has been said, bit of a waste for day VFR.
Thanks for all of the words of wisdom, the slagging and the completely unfounded rumors about my wages.

McGowan
30th Jun 2006, 12:53
Paid, I get the wages of sin.............
Actually, I'm doing it for fun, just like most of us................

belly tank
30th Jun 2006, 13:27
for those of you drooling over McGowans wages and job, trust me he has earned it and half his luck.....you would not meet a nicer and more competent bloke, and so what if he wants a weather radar:D ive seen his PIMP MY RIDE 407!:{ Inspector gadget would be proud of all the extras its got:ok:(however still waiting for the hostess that folds out of the middle back seat mod! ..........on ya T:D

Rainshine
30th Jun 2006, 15:52
Mr T Mcgowan,

Boy, It's a long time since you stamped my logbook in BH. Do you still not like cornflake eating during work hours:\ And how's your hands?? Gee, we had some laugh back then didn't we:{