PDA

View Full Version : Weighing it all up...

Boing7117
27th Jun 2006, 14:37
Hopefully, this post is reaching out to a few folk who are professionally involved with an airline or aviation in general, and hopefully I'm more likely to get a straightforward, honest and most likely, an accurate view of the situation:

If you were a recent FTO graduate, with a large training loan to begin paying back, without a Type-Rating, and you could work for any airline you wanted.

Basing your choice on the following,
(a) Aircraft / Routes
(b) Pay / Benefits
(c) Training (i.e. Type Rating)
(d) Location (taking into account cost of living in certain parts of the country)

Which airline would you want to work for? Assuming current T&C's remain the same for the next 3 years?

[NB I'm being hypothetical when I write about working for any airline you wanted!]

Hirsutesme
28th Jun 2006, 09:35
Currently, Virgin

Dozza2k
28th Jun 2006, 14:45
I think as recent low houred FTO grad, take any job anywhere with anyone just to start. Work horrible hrs, fly old a/c on night flights whatever. Then in 2/3 yrs, ask yourself the same questions as there'll be far more options open.

Hobbit
29th Jun 2006, 10:56
No aim high, go for any legacy airline. In the UK Thompsonfly or BA are the ones. Try to avoid the world of General Aviation, which is what loco has become! Oh, and the very best of luck.

scroggs
29th Jun 2006, 11:36
Currently, Virgin

Not until you've got some hours under your belt - about 4000 commercial jet should do it.

dustypfd
29th Jun 2006, 12:28
I dont think its as simple as saying just "Virgin".
Whilst conditions at Virgin are undoubtably amongst the best at the moment,that could change.
Also you must consider what career you would like.I think most people at Virgin would admit it's not the airline to be at if you like your flying.