17th Jul 2006, 05:29
Get a knock back from Qantas first,then you'll be a shoe in. :E

Aussie
17th Jul 2006, 07:39
Speaking from experience????????? :}

Aussie

scroggs
17th Jul 2006, 11:22
Bundyguzzler as I assume you didn't do your CPL on the A319, and actually have some experience behind your ATPL - and you are in Australia, and are thus trying to read this site upside-down - I'll forgive you for missing this sticky post in Wannabes - Interviews, Jobs and Sponsorships: This Forum is not for Job-Hunting Experienced Pilots (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162539).

As Redders has advised, you will do better in D&G, which is where I have moved your post.

Good luck!

Scroggs

Bundyguzzler
17th Jul 2006, 12:28
Thanks everyone for all your info and good wishes, all taken on board, its nice to get some genuine feed back,

Happy days and blue skies

max autobrakes
17th Jul 2006, 13:11
experience, what experience?. The future of aviation in this country. Aussie .;)

Winnebago
20th Jul 2006, 09:42
I too have a sim and interview. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RENURPP
20th Jul 2006, 14:52
Jetstar interview, sim, any tips?

Take a fist full of dollars and some vasoline, NO problems.

Chimbu chuckles
20th Jul 2006, 15:04
Buy yourself some time in a 767 sim if no jet experience.

Those conducting the check that I know personally are highly experienced and very reasonable people who would like to see you succeed...it's entirely up to you to prove them wrong. If you have a good attitude and a good scan and reasonable situational awareness it will be easy...if not....

Blue-Footed Boobie
20th Jul 2006, 16:12
Bundyguzzler,

A spare $36,000 which 'adds value to the company', 1000 hours a year = knackered, so why wuld you want to do this eh? Not much else going sadly.. I know.

Blue Foot

haughtney1
20th Jul 2006, 17:08
Chimbu offers good advice:ok:

If however you were broke like me at the time, and have a PC that is post 2000 why not do a bit of MS flight sim? It got me through my first sim assessment, because, quite simply sim instructors are looking for a scan, accuracy, anticipation, and as much as anything else CRM;)

Bundyguzzler
21st Jul 2006, 01:30
A lot of great advice there with the exception of Mr renburp, its a shame when there is alot of great people in this industry, moreso than is repesented in this forum, with their chips and bully boy tactics.
The majority are not able to post a sensible post without some jerk adding their 2 cents when no one wants to hear it.Crawl out of your hole have a look around, this is the way it is with Airlines at the moment, around the world, its cyclical.
Enjoy, if you don't like it, move along, no one will mind.
Winnebago, will get back to you with some info, cheers keep smilin:)

Sir HC
21st Jul 2006, 09:45
Take your missus because the flight attendants arent worth looking at, take your own earphones so you dont have to listen to all the white trash talking about their time spent in jail and you can probably afford to be 15 minutes late because you will most likely be delayed. However, look on the bright side, at least it won't cost you too much. Ohh, you are going for an interview. My mistake. Good luck!

Hydrant
21st Jul 2006, 12:17
Bundyguzzler, no this is not the way it is with well RESPECTED AIRLINES globally.
If you want to accept a crappy package, buy a job, and try to justify it then go right ahead.
Please save your speel for pity to the J* crew room.(garage)
Applicants who pitch up and "sell themselves" to the likes of this mob are nothing short of desperate.
Its cyclical granted,and if it wasnt for the desperation of J* applicants, the pendulum would have swung well and truly in our favour.
You guys have capitulated to the attrocious conditions that are on offer.
Maybe you should go and crawl under that hole you mentioned.:D

Winnebago
22nd Jul 2006, 08:25
Bundyguzzler - thanks, I look forward to hearing from you. Listening to some of these guys go on, you'd think I wasn't able to make my own decisions! Sorry guys - I'm not into following the crowd and listening to emotional outbursts. Believe me, I'm not the desperate one. If you can't be constructive then b_____r off.

Hydrant
22nd Jul 2006, 09:09
Rather than personal attack why don't you back up your rhetoric with some numbers...so we can see if you're as clever as you believe you are.

You have only, apparently, made 5 posts and already you have this Woomera hovering over the 'sin bin' button...but I will give you just a LITTLE leeway.:ugh:

Woomera:mad:

Hydrant
22nd Jul 2006, 10:25
Mr Woomera,
Just what "numbers" do you want???
Rhetoric in your opininon, but i am expressing my own personal feelings regarding what is becoming a common topic of discussion on your website and within the industry at present.

Woomera
22nd Jul 2006, 11:08
If you want to accept a crappy package, buy a job

And

if it wasnt for the desperation of J* applicants, the pendulum would have swung well and truly in our favour.

Prove the above two accusations.

And do so without attacking any pilot group.

Woomera

Woomera
23rd Jul 2006, 06:35
What...cat got your tongue?

Woomera

funbags
23rd Jul 2006, 06:57
Quote:
"If you want to accept a crappy package, buy a job
And
if it wasnt for the desperation of J* applicants, the pendulum would have swung well and truly in our favour."

Woomera,
Whilst not agreeing with Hydrant's exact choice of words, I do find it disturbing that Airline pilots wages in this country are in such a downward spiral.

Where do we stop - $50K a year for a 737 or 320 F/O.

There are S/O's in Qantas who are earning around 60% more than a 320 F/O (and good luck to them). The Qantas long haul crew compliment is still considerably cheaper(with a Capt, F/O and 2 S/O's) than comparable international outfits that carry "heavier crews" ie 2 Capt's and 2 F/O's or 1 Capt, 2 F/O's and a S/O.

What also disturbs me is that we have 2 groups of pilots flying for the same company,effectively flying the same equipment (737 vs 320) on two vastly different wages. This inequity will need addressing otherwise the divide and conquer principle will be used to greater effect over the coming years.

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Jul 2006, 12:14
It could be argued that the QF domestic contract conditions are an aberration. It was after all a package designed to get Australian Airlines/Ansett back in the air fast and was vastly in excess of the terms and conditions that existed before 'that' year. It was in fact more than the pre dispute pilots were asking for.

Great for those who were in a position to take advantage of that set of circumstances but an aberration non the less. It was not a QF negotiated award it was something QF inherited when they were forced to absorb Australian Airlines.

I hate to seem like I am talking my profession down but reality must be recognised at some point...which other first world airline pays $200k for 737 captains? Let alone the work practices they enjoy.

Even third world airlines only pay their expats that...not out of the kindness of their hearts either...because they have no choice if they are to attract sufficient experienced captains to train locals. This is for all sorts of reasons but chief among those reasons is expats have zero job security...when said third world airline decides it doesn't need them anymore they are out the door replaced with locals on a small fraction of the expat pay.

As far as paying for a type rating is concerned?

Well it sucks...but that is not the same as paying for a job. Plenty of people pay for a rating and never get to use it because they cannot pass the airline check at the end...it happens. I think paying for type ratings will slowly go away but I would never slag a pilot for investing in himself in such a way if he had a opportunity of a job immediately post the type rating rather like Jetstar, VB do.

To just buy one on the off chance is lunacy.

gas-chamber
24th Jul 2006, 09:35
Although I have always disagreed with paying up front for ratings, and never done it myself, in the current pilot employment boom times it may be better to pay for the rating, so you own it. You don't want to be bonded to some low cost carrier hell bent on burning you out in 5 years if a better lifestyle job comes along. Just be sure to invest in the right rating, not anything old tech i.e with numbers beginning and ending in a '7', unless there is an '8' in the middle.

RENURPP
24th Jul 2006, 09:43
gas Chamber

Whats the difference.
Either way when you leave you are out of pocket the same amount and hold an endorsment?

I personally would prefer a bond, if I don't leave in the bonding period, then I am in fornt by what ever the endorsement cost