PDA

View Full Version : old fuel

Fun Police
26th Jun 2006, 16:30
yesterday, late in the day, i found myself in a situation where fuel was required and the nearest forestry fuel cache was 25 miles away. i had enough to make it comfortably but not to the next cache and according to the Ministry of Natural Resources (Ontario), who is the client, the cache was well stocked with drums. upon arrival, however, we found 3 drums of fuel which was sold in 2003. fortunately, there was another operators cache (which we were allowed to use after approval) that was only a year and 3 months old. what i am asking is that, although i have used year old fuel before with no problem (desperate times call for desperate measures!) the OMNR says that the manufacturer has changed their policy from <3 years being ok to <1 year only. has anything changed in the fuel specs, did someone have an accident when using old fuel, or have they found that FCU's have problems with older fuel? i will mention that i checked the drum for contaminents and found none. the fuel was clean and the machine ran fine after using it. this is in a B2 and there was 20% left in the tank before the drum was added so a fair amount of diluting would have been happening too.

Sailor Vee
27th Jun 2006, 12:43
as the saying goes....'There's no fuel like an old fuel!'

Can't personally see anything wrong with using 'old' fuel, as long as the seal isn't broken, it's OK in my book.

MightyGem
27th Jun 2006, 20:55
I know that petrol doesn't keep well. Are there not problems with jet fuel?

handysnaks
27th Jun 2006, 21:39
Some help and further info here
http://193.113.209.166/aeroshell/AvBookLinks.pdf