PDA

View Full Version : Receiving email on separate computers

Warren Rabbit
26th Jun 2006, 04:35
If I am away from home and receive email through my ISP address, it seems that whoever checks the email first gets it. In other words, if I check my email on my laptop before my wife does at home, I see the email and she gets "no new messages" when she checks, and v-v. I'm sure there's an option somewhere which will solve this problem. I'm using Entourage on both iMac and Macbook.

airborne_artist
26th Jun 2006, 06:09
You might, depending on your ISP, be able to set up a message forward instruction at the server. The original messages will stay there, but a copy will be sent automatically to an email address you specify, such as Hotmail or Gmail. You check the second account , she checks the primary account, and you both see all mails.

Are you sharing one email address?

Mac the Knife
26th Jun 2006, 06:57
Set up your laptop to "Leave a copy of messages on server"

Don't know Entourage but I'm sure there will be a checkbox somewhere in the account setup.

Farmer 1
26th Jun 2006, 07:07
Set up your laptop to "Leave a copy of messages on server"

That's the way to do it!

The route is: Tools - Accounts - Properties - Advanced, then tick the box. You need to do this on all computers, on all accounts, and on all email applications, e.g. Outlook and Outlook Express.

Saab Dastard
26th Jun 2006, 07:49
"Leave a copy of messages on server"

This is fine, but you must remember to clear the inbox down regularly - your ISP provides a finite limit on mailbox size - maybe only a few dozen MB, which is soon filled up. When your mailbox gets full you probably won't be able to receive and / or send messages until you empty it.

Your ISP might even have further penalties - e.g. account suspension or charges for excess storage - but that's unlikely.

SD

Warren Rabbit
26th Jun 2006, 08:04
I emember doing that with the PC but for the life of me couldn't find the equivalent option on Entourage. I just didn't look hard enough. Thanks people.