PDA

View Full Version : Calling all CX Pilots: Help with HK Licence Conversion

Mach75
25th Jun 2006, 04:21
I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my information package for my final CX interview (which is exactly one month from now in HK). I was able to get a copy of the checklist/appendix of details for converting my Canadian ATPL to the HK Licence from a friend who attended an interview a few years ago. At the bottom of the list of required licenses, documents, etc. the is a note in bold which states " Please make sure that all the licences, certificates and examination results presented have a minimum of 6 months validity". My multi-IFR rating expires in 3 months and I am scheduled for a check ride with my company in September, my Transport Canada medical is due in August and I planned on renewing it then - is this not sufficent? Surely they can't expect all candidates who have a licence or medical expiring in less than 6 months to rent a light-twin on their own and schedule a Multi-IFR check ride. The medical is not a problem if I have to renew it a few months early but I think it would be very difficult (not to mention expensive) to get time off work, rent a light-twin and schedule a flight-test examiner all before I leave for Hong Kong in the next few weeks. Has anyone out there had any experience with this situation?

Kane Toed
25th Jun 2006, 05:23
Could I suggest that you might be worrying prematurely? The licence transfer is after you have finished all the type specific groundschool run by CX - you don't have to transfer your licence for your interview.

Time from second interview to starting with the company is a bit of a variable feast too, as I'm sure you are aware. Some European based DEFOs waiting for over a year after job offer, whilst DESOs are running at about 8 or 9 months I think. US based freighter guys less, but it's still months.

Basically don't worry about the licence just yet - but feel free to mention it in your interview when they get to the "do you have any points or questions" part. You must have met the minimum requirements; otherwise CX would not have offered you a second interview (well done btw). I would almost guarantee that assuming Part II goes well, you'll not be starting before September, which would be problem solved for you.

Hope that sets your mind at rest!

Good luck next month,

KT

dhoonk
25th Jun 2006, 15:44
At the bottom of the list of required licenses, documents, etc. the is a note in bold which states " Please make sure that all the licences, certificates and examination results presented have a minimum of 6 months validity". My multi-IFR rating expires in 3 months and I am scheduled for a check ride with my company in September, my Transport Canada medical is due in August and I planned on renewing it then - is this not sufficent?

Worry not.

Your Instrument Rating and Canadian medical must have a validity of at least 6 months when you join. It does not matter during the interview stage.

Mach75
25th Jun 2006, 16:40
Thanks for setting my mind at ease guys. I was always under the impression that if I was selected for a second interview I would have a minimum of a few months after the first interview to prepare. I just went through the initial interview last month and only found out a few days ago that I was successful. They want me in Hong Kong in 3 1/2 weeks and, needless to say, I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed.

Truckmasters
26th Jun 2006, 12:54
Also don't stress on the validity of the licences with respect to your start date. You will get more information from recruiting when you are given a start date. The 6 months validity is a starting point. If you have that, its easier for the conversion with the CAD. If you are missing something, talk to recruiting before you spend any unneccessarily large amounts of money fixing what you think is a shortfall. If they need you to spend the money they will tell you. However they can in some circumstances obtain some extra waivers. At the end of the day they have to assess your individual circumstances.
When in doubt pick up the phone to the recruiting girls. They are helpful and will tell you exactly what you need. (picking up the phone certainly saved me money when I joned)

betaboy
27th Jun 2006, 14:50
If the interview goes well (good luck), do make sure that your next Canadian PPC ride is indeed an IFR ride, not just a PPC renewal. My company was too cheap to pay the $45 or so (since the IFR is good for 2 years, whilst the PPC is good for 1), so I had to get it done retroactively, which was... interesting.