PDA

View Full Version : BA has no business class check in

10secondsurvey
24th Jun 2006, 22:27
Recently I've noticed, that at all airports aside from a few big exceptions like LHR, BA has removed all business/Gold/Silver/First check ins. Now, I know the expectation is that everyone will check in online or electronically, but often that does not work. In particular, when boarding for multi-sector international flights, invariably the electronic check-in does not work.

Twice recently, this has happened to me where online and electronic check-in have not delivered, and instead printed one of those 'go to counter' type cards. Despite my talking to BA staff, and them seeing my business class ticket/ff status, I have been left to join the economy queue. In brussels, even although they had a priority channel roped out, the staff told me it was no longer used.

When passengers are paying extra for a premium international service, but find they must just 'join the economy Queue', even as a gold card holder, I think it is piss poor. Do BA management seriously believe I and others will keep choosing them over competitors, when BMI,Lufthansa,Iberia,KLM, to name a few all still provide business/premium check in priority. BA is just dandy if you fly from LHR, where you will be pandered to at the premium check in area, but elsewhere, they really just don't care.

To give an example, fly first class long haul starting somewhere like Edinburgh, and even as a gold card holder, if the electronic check-in fails (which it often does with multi sector international flights), you'll be in the economy queue (and invariably, the economy queue is the 'fast'? bag drop queue). That is not a premium service.

Railgun
25th Jun 2006, 07:58
Used to address complaint's to Mr Martin George but he has been given leave of absence so not sure who you need to address them too now.

10secondsurvey
25th Jun 2006, 16:20
Hmm..

Point taken. I guess it really is just a complaint to be taken to BA directly.

FormerFlyer
25th Jun 2006, 21:07
Disnae make sense to me. Fly out of DOH fairly frequently......BA have one service a day there and it's not exactly chokka ex-DOH, yet they have separate premium checkin there.

Surely shum mishtake.

cheers ;)
FF

10secondsurvey
26th Jun 2006, 07:33
It's not a mistake. Experienced it first hand, and had discussions with BA staff, unless of course they only operate at certain times - which is still not acceptable for a paid for premium product.

firemac
26th Jun 2006, 12:04
I usually find that the Swiss self-service m/c's in ZUR won't accept my AMEX card (on which the flights are booked) which is a bitch at 6:30 a.m. checking in to the 0715 to BHX and the human check-in queue is a mile long. However if I then use my Swiss FF card - voila! - the m/c recognises me & prints the boarding card. Funnily enough, it works in reverse as well, i.e. Swiss FF card first = failure; AMEX card next = success. The same thing happens with SAS in Copenhagen (but obviously using a SAS FF card!).

BA m/c's seem to have similar problem but BA is more consistent in that they will only recognise the credit card that you booked the flight with, irrespective of the colour of your FF card (mine's silver at present, but the m/c's won't have it - they only respond to AMEX 'cause that's what I booked with).

As for complaints re BA are concerned, I've always found that a letter to the CEO always gets a reply (& often some form of compo).

10secondsurvey
26th Jun 2006, 18:32
Thanks Firemac, that's a very useful piece of info. I tended always to use FF card with machines, I'll use my amex in future.

Overwing_Exit
26th Jun 2006, 19:19
...as a regular user of EDI, I agree with 10secondsurvey.

Ok so its my first post (having registered after years of lurking!) so can one of you regulars answer THE one question that continually bugs me ? Why is the UK domestic baggage at LGW so slow ?

FormerFlyer
26th Jun 2006, 21:17
...as a regular user of EDI, I agree with 10secondsurvey.

Ok so its my first post (having registered after years of lurking!) so can one of you regulars answer THE one question that continually bugs me ? Why is the UK domestic baggage at LGW so slow ?

It's not just domestic baggage at LGW that's slow!

cheers ;)
FF

10secondsurvey
5th Jul 2006, 11:08
Over wing exit,

Look forward to things getting much slower with baggage, due to the new hand baggage restrictions coming in. Much more will be getting checked in, and in some instances, passengers will be checking in two cases rather than one, as the weight limit has been reduced, but some classes allow more than one item to be checked in. I have no doubt, that BAA will have put in no extra resources to deal with this.

flyyy
7th Jul 2006, 06:11
same in ZRH, no business class check-in. well, there is one fast-bag drop counter for business class, but normally they check-in all sort of passengers there and business class pax have to stand in the looong queue.
interesting as well is, that even if you check-in online and just want to drop off bags, you HAVE to queue in the normal queue, because all the counters are just bag-drop. So you don't really gain time checking in online.
as to the cards: FF and credit cards should work. If it does not work initially, then select "booking reference" and key in your booking reference. works quite well, even if it is NOT the card you used to do the booking and even if the name on the card does not fully match the name in the booking. try it out... and let me know...

alexss
7th Jul 2006, 14:56
It's not just domestic baggage at LGW that's slow!
cheers ;)
FF

Does anyone know why this is? It does seem to be much worse than other airports. Last time I arrived at North Terminal, there were so many people waiting in the holding area pre baggage reclaim, the queue stretched back through immigration control. It wasn't a particularly busy day, either.

bealine
9th Jul 2006, 19:28
Next time you're at Gatwick North Terminal, particularly in the afternoon or evening, take a look around.

Where are all the staff?

Both BA and the BAA are desperately short of staff - deliberately in an effort to save money!

Now come on, get in the Real World you lot! Did you honestly think Willie Walsh could cut 597 managers' jobs without the front-line being hurt as well?

radeng
11th Jul 2006, 09:46
Bealine,
Slightly off topic. LHR security make you take your computer out of its bag. Gatwick North don't? Why the difference? It's hard to believe that it's 'DfT rules' if they don't apply everywhere. Gatwick North actually had more than enough security screening open the other Sunday - nice to see. Maybe they better teach LHR how to do it!

10secondsurvey
19th Jul 2006, 17:22
On the original topic of this thread, I noticed some postings today on another flyer forum. According to the posters there, BA is removing gold/silver/first/business check in lanes FROM ALL regional airports, including Manchester. So everyone can just queue up at the (not so) fast bag drop queue. This truly beggars belief, I mean honestly what is the point of getting a bus/first ticket with BA when you travel from outside London. What is the point of through ticketing??

This and other changes have now convinced me, BA is going down the budget route- and I have to say, it's a terrible shame. For the record BMI, KLM,Lufthansa and most others still provide a premium check in (for when it's required). Even SAS still offer this, and they were the first to introduce electronic check in (I think).

christep
20th Jul 2006, 06:48
At the same time real quality airlines like CX and SQ are enhancing their F check-in facilities... concierge style consoles at some places (giving you arrival weather updates and other useful info on a separate screen) or comfy chairs in a separate room as they take any bags you may have, tag any marginal or oversized carry-ons, and do all the other things that are the mark of a class outfit.

RevMan2
20th Jul 2006, 07:07
Two things
Self service machines identify you via the Form Of IDentification either defined in your profile or used for the reservation e.g. credit card or FF card. If you've had problems, just make sure you find out which FOID is linked to the booking from the call centre agent next time you book and get it corrected if necessary
LH have upgraded their F service to the extent of building dedicated F facilities at FRA (and MUC in the pipeline, I believe) with immigration and security clearance, hospitality, showers etc plus delivery directly to the aircraft via MB or Porsche...
Demand has been boosted quite significantly, so I hear. Looks like the way to go, especially when it's rounded out with the bizjet feeder service.