PDA

View Full Version : FTO or Uni ??

zammo88
24th Jun 2006, 14:19
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advise and I felt this would be a good place to start.

Firstly, I want to be an airline pilot. I am Scottish, 18 years old and my qualifications include (higher mathematics - A, higher computing- A, higher biology - B and higher geography - B). I have looked at some different FTOs and decided on Oxford Aviation Training - I have been down to visit it and discussed various aspects with one of the training advisors. However I am undecided whether to go now to begin training or to go to university and get a degree first. I know that having a degree is not a requirement do get a job with an airline but am I right in thinking that it is a preference with British Airways for example? Also, with the job market being so competative, how would not having a degree and being of such a young age affect my chances of employment? Say for example I did exceptionaly well in ground school and also in the flying aspects of the course, would it matter that I don't have a degree?

Any information/advise would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,

Zammo88

GRANTS
24th Jun 2006, 14:47
No real effect, unless you want to get some good life experience before starting your journey towards your airline career.

Chesty Morgan
24th Jun 2006, 14:57
I agree with GRANTS. It shouldn't matter.

If you really want to go to uni then go. It wont do you any harm. Bear in mind though that you'll have two lots of debts to pay off.

But, the longer you're in the airlines the better. Seniority, money and lifestyle all improve with time served.

My suggestion would be, if you really want to fly then do it now.

You can always get pi**ed and puke like a student while you're doing the ground school:ok:

CM

zammo88
24th Jun 2006, 18:02
Thanks for the help guys :)

I think I'm going to go to OAT straight away. This year hopfully - just need to get through the skills and apptitude assesments first.

If I don't get in then its off to uni. After all this deliberation it might even be the case that persuing a career as a pilot is not an option (fingers crossed it is tho :) ).

Anyway,

Thanks again :ok:

Zammo88

Rob82
24th Jun 2006, 18:36
I hate to contradict everybody but i would say go to university first. Mainly for the just in case situation. God forbid any of us spend all the money on the training and then don't get a job, fail the training, lose your medical etc. etc. etc. At least it gives you something to fall back on, and you can't beat the life at uni. I finished my degree last year and started training early this year and have no regrets.

Rob

scruggs
24th Jun 2006, 18:43
I agree with you mate! i enjoyed uni life so much I took up a research post there after my degree.

I hate to contradict everybody but i would say go to university first. Mainly for the just in case situation. God forbid any of us spend all the money on the training and then don't get a job, fail the training, lose your medical etc. etc. etc. At least it gives you something to fall back on, and you can't beat the life at uni. I finished my degree last year and started training early this year and have no regrets.
Rob

gconatyuk
24th Jun 2006, 18:44
I can understand where you are coming from with regards to advising going to university first in order to complete a degree, however, there are many occupations you can 'fall back on' without having a degree including ATC which from what ive seen can pay better than pilots.

I wish i had the finances to be able to fund flying training but unfortunately it just isn't an option for me. Im now working towards applying to become an ATCO which i have always wanted to do alongside being a pilot.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

GRANTS
24th Jun 2006, 18:46
Thanks for the help guys :)

I think I'm going to go to OAT straight away. This year hopfully - just need to get through the skills and apptitude assesments first.

If I don't get in then its off to uni. After all this deliberation it might even be the case that persuing a career as a pilot is not an option (fingers crossed it is tho :) ).

Anyway,

Thanks again :ok:

Zammo88

Listen... passing an assessment test is not a black and white thing.
I failed the CTC one but was good enough to graduate from another integrated school and to get an airline job straight away.
Mind you that the integrated schools are packed at the moment so the standards might have risen up.
If not this time - get it next time.

Rob82
24th Jun 2006, 18:49
Same here, i failed the CTC assessment but managed to get onto an integrated course at another flying school. I think different schools have different requirements.

Rob

Blinkz
24th Jun 2006, 19:23
You have to remember that CTC is a very strict SELECTION to get only the best people who apply onto the course. The integrated schools do a skills assessment which just makes sure that you have what it takes to be a pilot and pass the training and hopefully get a job. The two selections are very different and imo can't really be compared on equal terms.

To get back on topic I would have to say go to uni first. As has been said there are alot of ways in which becoming a pilot can fail (or take quite a while to happen) and so it would be very good to have something to fall back on. Another reason is that going to university really is a life experience in itself. Doing an integrated course straight out of school, depending on the person obviously, can be a huge undertaking and you really need to have alot of experience (life experience I mean, not flying etc) to help you push thro it all. This is just my opinion and I'm sure mainy people will disagreee. However if you look at the ages on the courses they tend to be mid-twenties not 18. Good luck to you, and I hope whatever you do works out!

Piltdown Man
24th Jun 2006, 20:26
Uni first, especially as you are in Scotland! It will make you a more rounded and interesting person and more able to pass interviews if nothing else! It will also give you a better perspective on life and it might even be useful for other things, like a different career!