PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Qantas Courses?

position & hold
24th Jun 2006, 12:57
G'day all,
Just wondering what information is going around regarding upcoming ground schools. I have heard rumours of one late this year, another source says April next year. :confused:

In the mean time I think i'll keep doing the usual.

:zzz:

Cheers

satmstr
25th Jun 2006, 02:18
ground school in relation to what? need more info buddy.

position & hold
25th Jun 2006, 05:21
Ground school for Direct Entry Pilots. Are there many other guys and gals out there in the hold pool? All seems to have gone quiet on pprune over the last few months. :oh:

Cheers

Mr.Buzzy
25th Jun 2006, 05:51
I hear the next intake will be for Airbus, your choice of bases and a great new, no-overnight "lifestyle" roster.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z

happydriver
25th Jun 2006, 10:07
Must be coming close to a year now, without any recruting in mainline....and with the A380 delivery being pushed back again..i hate to say that you'd probably be holding for a bit longer....the training forecast published last month seems so far away now.....and with a L/H EBA coming up i'm sure the beancounters are not keen to recruit until they are certain they need more pilots.....(apparently we are not productive enough)

Having said that....good luck and hope you get some good news soon.

HD:ok:

PennyBenjamin
25th Jun 2006, 21:53
word is on hold letters going out as of now -'minimal recruiting until jan 07 due to a current lack of demand' and a 'likelyhood of applications progressing further after that date'

LookinDown
26th Jun 2006, 02:34
Yep, January it is.

position & hold
27th Jun 2006, 00:19
Thankyou all for the replies, now i guess we just have to find something to keep us entertained for six months or so.

Anyone for a game of darts?

:ok:

PennyBenjamin
28th Jun 2006, 03:41
the changing of the retirement age from 60 to 65 may make for a longer than expected game of darts - try 12 months???

max autobrakes
28th Jun 2006, 11:23
Didn't El Presidente Geoff assure Qantas pilots there would be no cannibilization of Mainline by JetStar?
Surely there can't be anyone left in Qantas who thinks that there is anyone left in Qantas management that is of a benign philanthropic bent.
"Greed is good "appears to permiate every level of Qantas management now.
Lots of luck to our Qantas friends, you are going to need it in spades.

PennyBenjamin
9th Jul 2006, 11:48
lots of scary QF media stories this week, any news on the fallout effects on recruiting?

position & hold
12th Jul 2006, 00:57
With all the drama associated with the delay of the A380 the one thing that does seem to be clear is that Qantas needs more aircraft, be they Airbus stop-gaps or Boeing. Hopefully if this situation is resolved the courses may start to flow again. Fingers crossed anyway!

:}

still holdin

hotnhigh
12th Jul 2006, 01:55
Interesting to note regionals, jetstar, freighter ops, jitconnect etc are recruiting however none in mainline.
Also interseting that cadets are packing shelves at woolies after their 'industry placement' time comes to an end.
Perhaps no more recruitment into mainline for a very bloody long time. If ever.
As for new aeroplanes....380 may never appear and thanks to the jpc deal, the idea of qf mainline drivers having a go on 787s wont see the light of day. Better throw the application into Jetstar because mainline wont get a look in.
FO upgrades in mainline now out to 6 years plus and blowing further out. What was that time to command in Jetstar again????

PennyBenjamin
14th Jul 2006, 07:12
What about the 74 courses later this year and early next, anyone got course dates or know anyone who has?

Grnd Hog
14th Jul 2006, 09:36
No courses planned this side of Xmas - All Canx.
Not Req'd. January to be confirmed.

PennyBenjamin
16th Jul 2006, 08:14
so what has changed to give QF this so callued 'huge' surplus of SO candidatesincluding cadets? Was the retirement age change the clincher??

Now for some controversy

IT MAY BE ABOUT TIME QANTAS CANNED THE CADETSHIP SCHEME AND ALLOWED THE NATION'S SURPLUS OF QUALIFIED PILOTS TO FILL THEIR RANKS

Hugh Jarse
16th Jul 2006, 09:11
IT MAY BE ABOUT TIME QANTAS CANNED THE CADETSHIP SCHEME AND ALLOWED THE NATION'S SURPLUS OF QUALIFIED PILOTS TO FILL THEIR RANKSBeing qualified does not necessarily make one suitable, Penny.:O That's for any company utilising a labour force, not just pilots.

Bazzamundi
16th Jul 2006, 10:15
What is giving them a surpluss? Less flying due to a/c being transferred later this year to the organisation who will fly them cheaper than we can. There will be a lot of people sitting around doing absolutely nothing as soon as Jetstar gets the 330. The amount of pilots expected to retire also has diminished due to the over 60 probability.

When recruiting does start, I have heard there are quite a few cadets now awaiting employment who will fill the first few courses. These are mainly the ones who have been out and have some experience.

However, when things do change things happen in a rush. It has always been feast or famine in this industry.

Hugh Gorgen
17th Jul 2006, 11:42
Heard a nasty rumour that Q will not be hiring for quite awhile (indefinate future). The A380 delay, the "adjustment" to conditions relating to retirement, the price of oil and the march of Jetstar being cited as the reasons for the hiring freeze. Was told that all conversion courses next year will be focused on upgrade training and aircrew transfers from A330 and B747-300. Just another rumour, however not good news for those waiting on the hold file.