PDA

View Full Version : NZ/QF (LHR vs Homebase)

klinitco
24th Jun 2006, 07:54
I just had a question, that may have been answered already, in which case I'm sorry for asking it AGAIN:

Is the SIN-FRA route done by LHR-based crew or Australian crew with QF, and if NZ launched a similar flight (which is a rumour circulating at a.net) who would be most likely to operate that flight? LHR or AKL crew?

A more QF-specific question, and I understand that some parts of it may be a little sensitive, but how do conditions and pay compare between Australia based and LHR crew? What routes would an eg SYD based newbie be most likely to end up with and how much would language skills affect the routes you get?

Thanks heaps, and I hope I'm not asking too long or common questions!

mostie
24th Jun 2006, 08:10
QF SIN-FRA is done with mostly Australian based crew.

It changes from time to time but there are often a number of Bangkok and/or Auckland based crew making up the crew complement.

Australian based crew are paid a living wage. Those working for foreign bases are not.

Australian based Longhaul newbies are an extinct species.
None have been seen for 5 years.

Have you got a Thai, KIWI or UK passport??

klinitco
24th Jun 2006, 09:01
Thanks for your reply. I'm none of the above - but I am a holder of another EU country's passport, which I think gives me the right to apply for LHR. I take it there will be no Australian LH newbies anytime soon when outsourcing is so much cheaper. Strange that people from UK and NZ can be significantly 'cheaper'.

TightSlot
24th Jun 2006, 09:09
This subject has been discussed at length previously: And yes, it is a very sensitive subject. I'll close this thread now, but if you'd like to continue exploring this subject, please visit the Dunnunda & Godzone forums on PPRuNe where you'll find many experts who will be thrilled to receive your questions.