PDA

View Full Version : SERCO to provide ATS to HIAL??

ADCAPP
24th Jun 2006, 07:44
Heard that SERCO have been invited to look at providing Air Traffic Services for Highlands and Islands Airports:ugh: . Has anyone heard this?. Would particularly be interested to hear from any SERCO employees of any pros and cons if this were the case.

chevvron
24th Jun 2006, 12:56
I suppose SERCo might be successful as few HIAL airfields have radar; SERCo seem to have a block about paying for radar qualified controllers and in all probability, most of the incumbents would stay on with SERCo 'cos I understand their present pay isn't all that good.

bottom rung
24th Jun 2006, 14:16
Sorry Chevvron, did you mean that the present HIAL pay or the SERCo pay isn't that good?

chevvron
24th Jun 2006, 15:25
I haven't seen actual figures but I believe (from ads in Flight) that present HIAL pay is lower than SERCo, but I stand to be corrected. Conditions of service/contract are probably better with HIAL though.

bottom rung
24th Jun 2006, 15:33
Stand it be extremely corrected. Current HIAL rates are in the public domain on the company website. By the time the extras for shifts, unsocial hours, met and OJTI are added, the pay for twr/app is comfortably into the mid-forties. SERCo's offerings fall short by a country mile as they attempt to trim costs. New ATCOs on their only contract comparable geographically to HIAL are being offered the mid to high twenties...:uhoh: Existing atcos are having their current T+C's modified by management to such an extent that the unions are getting interested; management's game plan is to get the old guard of controllers to change to the new contracts. Looks like these contracts may not be with SERCO though......:eek:

niknak
24th Jun 2006, 19:43
:rolleyes: :ugh: := :rolleyes:
This rumour does the rounds every so often, then there's so much laughter at the prospect od Serco even getting past the first round of putting tenders into envelopes that it's a complete non starter.
The facts are that Serco Aersospace barely have enough Atcos to fullfill the pitifully few remaining insignificant contracts that they have, additionally it would take the agreement of all the HIAL atcos for Serco to transfer to them, something that will never happen.

It is fact that Marshall Aersospace have been closely involved in various aspects of instillation of facilities and the setting up of approach radar services at Inverness and that they will be closely involved in the "management" of ATC services there.
However, given their performance at another airport elsewhere in England (not EGSC but not far away!), they also have an awful lot to learn.

Lifes2good
26th Jun 2006, 16:15
"It is fact that Marshall Aersospace have been closely involved in various aspects of instillation of facilities and the setting up of approach radar services at Inverness and that they will be closely involved in the "management" of ATC services there.
However, given their performance at another airport elsewhere in England (not EGSC but not far away!), they also have an awful lot to learn."

Niknak can you expand on your comments? Particularly "an awful lot to learn"

niknak
26th Jun 2006, 21:00
I could, but as LifestoGood for you, you figure it out, but I suspect that you already know the facts.....:= :D :)

Lifes2good
26th Jun 2006, 21:48
Thanks niknak just as you said these rumours do the rounds.
all the best
L2G

tubthumper
28th Jun 2006, 11:00
HIAL and Serco? Again? This isn't the first time this has been touted. Curious to see how it develops this time.

Mornin', Bottom Rung.:ok: