PDA

View Full Version : City Star

simfly
22nd Jun 2006, 20:13
City Star D328 just gone off the end of 34. Weather at time EGPD 221950Z 30007KT 190V340 9999 FEW028 13/09 Q1008 NOSIG Almost reached the new localiser aerials.... Looks like no damage to aircraft except maybe a bit stuck... All inbounds now diverting.

BlooMoo
22nd Jun 2006, 21:26
Better half just called from Edinburgh - was due ABZ about 1hr ago - powers that be just 'advised' that ABZ will not open for biz again this evening - as far as they're concerned - don't know about helos - sounds (hopefully) like an overshoot and no major drama but then 34/16 is only about 100yrds...

...hang on! They're off to Aberdeen again, only took an hour too....:rolleyes:

simfly
22nd Jun 2006, 21:33
2 helis out allowed to land over at Bond, now being towed across. A Dornier 328 should not have a problem, even with ABZ's 6000 foot runway so I suspect the AAIB might want a close look at this one. Heard through people in the know that some sort of increase in power after landing has caused problems recently on the a/c.

Easyjet only aircraft waiting to depart (well, Malaga would have been if it got in!) and allowed to depart on 16 if performance will allow with the conditions. A/c inbound but think it's small, then so is a 328 :sad:

Flights due in after event were:- Monarch Malaga (in EDI), BMI's AMS & LHR, BA's LHR & LGW, AF's CDG, Eastern's SOU & NCL, KLM's AMS & finally City Star's Oslo. Twas the City Star Stavangar that had the problem.

Memetic
22nd Jun 2006, 21:35
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5108356.stm

Describes this as an incident and notes, ...The passengers disembarked safely and there were no reports of injuries. The Air Accident Investigation Branch is expected to travel to the scene.

BlooMoo
22nd Jun 2006, 21:41
...hang on! They're off to Aberdeen again, only took an hour too....:rolleyes:

(copied from earlier edit as extra posts arrived)

quilmes
22nd Jun 2006, 22:17
Greetz peeps,

Dyce photographer has posted initial pictures at;

http://www.pbase.com/gary2880/city_star_incident

simfly
22nd Jun 2006, 23:06
Diverted a/c now landing except a few. The wind is meant to come round from the South Friday so maybe some disruption for inbounds early on as aircarft 1000ft approx from threshold. Leaving the airport tonight it looked as though the 328 had just been left alone, presumably for until the AAIB arrive.

BlooMoo
22nd Jun 2006, 23:54
as aircarft 1000ft approx from threshold
quite an overshoot then, especially for that type. Conditions apparently OK, passengers apparently told to brace (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5108356.stm)
Type stipulates runway of 1,000m/3,300ft for landing (against ABZ 6,000ft??)

G-SHED
23rd Jun 2006, 05:37
Easyjet only aircraft waiting to depart (well, Malaga would have been if it got in!) and allowed to depart on 16 if performance will allow with the conditions. A/c inbound but think it's small, then so is a 328 :sad:

Dont think the easyjet flight made it - saw it being towed across the airfield with a tug pulling the boarding steps chasing after it.....

Other aircraft departed on 16. Inbound only on 34 and was only ndb or visual approach.

Glad everybody was alright though.

Hartington
23rd Jun 2006, 07:16
The interview with passenger who is quoted on the BBC website was played on the Today program on Radio 4 this morning. It was the antithesis of the usual "screaming" interview. He was very calm and controlled and at the end said something along the lines of wanting to thank City Star for their professionalism. It seemed to set the tone for the BBC coverage.

smith
23rd Jun 2006, 07:22
aken from their website right now:

"City Star Airlines regrets that all flights are suspended until further notice.

Contact City Star Airlines for further information"

Wonder if they have found a fault and grounded all their a/c, or do they only have one a/c?

Eff Oh
23rd Jun 2006, 09:42
Thankfully it didn't happen at London City! Interesting to see the catering guy taking the bar off while the Capt and F/O stand nearby. (Get the important work done first eh??) :D

3PARA
23rd Jun 2006, 09:59
No sandwiches for the crew then, just tea & biccies :=

Glad everyone walked away.

think the council may approve the 300m runway extension after all :}

Oshkosh George
23rd Jun 2006, 14:13
http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/06/23/Navigation/177/207365/Scotlands+City+Star+suspends+operations+after+Fairchild+Dorn ier+328.html

ExSimGuy
23rd Jun 2006, 14:29
Reported on "Airports" section of PPRuNe.

"CityStar canx all ops, unable to contact them for information"

Do they have only one aircraft? or do they suspect a fleet-wide problem?

Richard Taylor
23rd Jun 2006, 14:36
Surely the reason for the suspension is that they need to see what the AAIB find, & whether it is a problem for just the Dornier involved in the incident, or for all 3 of their fleet.

Hope to see the Star above the City again soon.

ALLDAYDELI
23rd Jun 2006, 14:55
actually they only have 1x aircraft, I suspected a similar issue as being fleetwide!

Richard Taylor
23rd Jun 2006, 15:17
They operate 3x DO328 a/c, TF-CSA-C.

Monkey Boy
23rd Jun 2006, 15:20
actually they only have 1x aircraft, I suspected a similar issue as being fleetwide!

I believe their fleet is: -

3 x Dornier 328
2 x Dornnier 228
1 x Dornier 328 Jet

ExSimGuy
23rd Jun 2006, 16:18
Acording to their web site (press release 9 months ago) they have three 328s - two doing scheduled work, and one doing private charters.

So looks like 3 aircraft grounded:(

sidestickhumper
23rd Jun 2006, 16:19
This seems to be a very strange and harsh reaction either from CAA or the company itself. There must be something else below the surface. Imagine, if a whole fleet (i.e BA Airbusses) would allways be grounded, if a single A/C or crew had an incident. This would kill the whole company. There MUST be something behind the curtain...

Magplug
23rd Jun 2006, 16:42
This would kill the whole companyPrecisely what happened to Freddie Laker after a series of DC10 mishaps.

Monkey Boy
23rd Jun 2006, 16:50
The information I have is that the fleet isn't / wasn't grounded, the website's translation was a little suspect - should be ok now.

sidestickhumper
23rd Jun 2006, 16:53
The sentence was "services are suspended until further notice", but there is no further notice until now, just the admission to an incident on the site. So, I'm not sure, which part of this sentence can be "missunderstood"

Monkey Boy
23rd Jun 2006, 17:13
sidestickhumper

"Services Suspended" doesn't automatically mean "aircraft grounded" though does it? Think you're trying to read something more sinister into this!

sidestickhumper
23rd Jun 2006, 17:16
what other "suspendable" services do they offer? Carcleaning? Sushi Take Away? C'mon mate, all X9 flights out of Dyce are still cancelled...

Monkey Boy
23rd Jun 2006, 17:19
Well, one of their Dorniers has been flying today, and will be flying tomorrow and all of next week. Doesn't sound very "grounded" to me.

Advert removed.

Nothing on here now about suspended service of fleet grounded.

sidestickhumper
23rd Jun 2006, 17:25
I guess this was the Dornier Jet flying from LCY back to Dyce, buddy. Check the SITA entries... := (by the way, this link leads to the main site of City Star, showing the above mentioned admission) Anyway, I hope, that they will fly again as soon as possible, I know all the guys there (or most of them). Are you working at X9?

Monkey Boy
23rd Jun 2006, 17:30
Nothing to do with X9, just know that there's nothing wrong with the fleet and its not been grounded.

I know the link goes to the main site and it shows the admission of the incident, but it also DOESN'T show services suspended or fleet grounded.

sidestickhumper
23rd Jun 2006, 17:39
We'll see, mate... still waiting for the "further notice"

Data Dad
23rd Jun 2006, 18:49
City Star resumed flights this evening operating their Oslo service:

From Oslo airport website:

Aberdeen X9 105 1940 Arrived 1920 City Star Airlines
Aberdeen X9 106 2005 Departed 2006 City Star Airlines 57 Gate closed

and from BAA Aberdeen live arrivals

21:00 X9106 OSLO GARDERMOEN EXPECTED 2104

Probably just suspended flights whilst they a)reviewed what had happened and if any procedures needed changed, b) decided whether the other aircraft needed any checks and c) dealt with the "fallout" - they don't have a huge administrative back-up after all.

All the "doomsayers" should think before doing a small (and increasingly well liked) airline a disservice :=

Toastal
23rd Jun 2006, 19:03
Data Dad, you're da MAAN !!!!! Do you reckon this evenings flights have been carried out using the jet?

T

Oshkosh George
23rd Jun 2006, 19:41
Back in business! First flight since incident departed to Oslo at 1700 tonight.

I just linked the article,and had no idea if this would be permanent,as it didn't clarify that.

Good news then.

LN-ATC
23rd Jun 2006, 20:27
City Star resumed flights this evening operating their Oslo service:
The flight was operated by Scot Airways, G-BWWT.

Toastal
23rd Jun 2006, 23:16
Scot Airways have carried out this evenings flights to Norway. Although this is a good sign, it's still v.worrying. It may be that the whole fleet are grounded for some time, and if thats the case, it could have devastating financial effects on the company. I really hope this doesn't happen, as they're a great Company providing a great service for the NE Oil and Gas sector. The good news is that the 328 in question has not been seriously damaged.:D

virginblue
24th Jun 2006, 16:56
I guess this was the Dornier Jet flying from LCY back to Dyce, buddy. Check the SITA entries...

If I am not mistaken, the Dornier 328JET has yet to be certified for LCY....

Richard Taylor
25th Jun 2006, 17:32
X9's OSL flight took off today, but operated by a E120 Brasilia that positioned in to Dyce about an hour before the flight.

The D328s still hiding in the hangars for now it would seem.

Richard Taylor
26th Jun 2006, 09:59
SVG & OSL ops this morning as norm, with X9 D328s.

The one that overran still hangared I assume.

Toastal
3rd Jul 2006, 15:26
Can anyone tell me if TF-CSB is back in operation out of Aberdeen?

T:suspect:

turnipgreen
15th Jul 2006, 10:48
If I am not mistaken, the Dornier 328JET has yet to be certified for LCY....

I think it has been certificated but no one has used it yet

Richard Taylor
20th Jul 2006, 06:17
'SB was flying around the ABZ circuit the other day, with a view to confirming its airworthiness.

Pleased to say it stopped in time! :O

Unsure if it's back in revenue-earning service yet.

Richard Taylor
26th Jul 2006, 08:07
City Star's Dornier now back in service.

Also a wee snip in my local rag that they are to launch a SVG-GRQ service from Sept. Don't know if this means the end of the SVG-KSU link they were operating.

Richard Taylor
7th Aug 2006, 16:19
Anyone in this neck of the woods know what the latest with X9 is?

After the arrival of the SVG & OSL flights last Wed evening, the two DO328s that flew the services positioned out of ABZ (presume up to Iceland).

Not seen any scheduled services in or out of ABZ since.

Is it in connection with their expansion, or is there another reason?

Hoping it's NOT the worst...:uhoh:

VICKERS VC10
7th Aug 2006, 17:14
They are using their aircraft to operate some summer charters in Iceland.

Back to normal next week

tangoecho
7th Aug 2006, 22:50
The aircraft are positioning back tomorrow.
They were doing charters in Iceland.
Scheduled flights resume tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon.

Stu...

Richard Taylor
8th Aug 2006, 06:14
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just curious, were City Star operating these in their own right or on behalf of parent co. Landsflug.

Do Landsflug have first call on the Dorniers when required, just seems strange that you would "suspend" your scheduled ops. in favour of charters. I guess it must be lucrative enough for City Star to do so.

Anyone have any word on the extra Dorniers that were supposed to be on their way? Are they in Icyland just now, or has the parent co. taken them for their own use?

Finally SVG-GRQ notwithstanding, are we any closer to the extra routes (for ABZ) that the airline said they were in talks about, & any clues as to where?

Thanks. :ok:

tangoecho
8th Aug 2006, 10:11
Yes, X9 were doing the charters on behalf of Landsflug.
Not sure about the extra Dorniers though.

There are three flights coming in from REK today, one of the ABZ based dorniers, a J31, and another which I didn't recognise the code for on our screens at work (FRJ) some sort of regional jet.

The ABZ based A/C is positioning the crew back here for normal OPs today.
Also the J31 is G-BUVD of Eastern Airways. It may have been up helping with the charters:hmm:

Anyway I'll keep an ear out at work.

Cheers
stu...:ok:

Richard Taylor
8th Aug 2006, 10:19
Re the "FRJ" I know the DO328JET that City Star/Landsflug have access to is due in ABZ today, may be that.

tangoecho
8th Aug 2006, 10:26
Re the "FRJ" I know the DO328JET that City Star/Landsflug have access to is due in ABZ today, may be that.

Yes I would imagine it is the DoJet as it has an Iceland reg on it. :ok:

cheers

Stu...

CHIVILCOY
22nd Aug 2006, 19:52
Mechanical problems were to blame for a plane overshooting the Aberdeen Airport runway, BBC Scotland has learned,link to story here.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5273624.stm

Richard Taylor
23rd Jan 2007, 20:28
Well I've asked about T3, so I may as well ask about X9. :ok:

Thanks to Meeb for confirming 2 more DO328s on the way.

X9 were also recruiting for aircrew & cabin crew locally in the press recently.

Understand they are looking to expand at ABZ, but does anyone know where they would go to?

I had heard they may have a STN route in the offing (they used to hold LCY slots!) but nothing confirmed.

Where else would they go - more Norway (eg. HAU) or Scandi in general? They seem to like Norway.

They also do a fair number of "Man Utd" supporters charters for home games, be it Premiership, FA Cup or Champion's League.

Any rumours gratefully received. :ok: