PDA

View Full Version : IR & Type Rating renewal question

PorcoRosso
23rd Jun 2006, 16:02
OK, here is the story :

I have an I/R which runs until the 30th of June, it was lastly renewed on a Kingair, same validity
In May, I did a Type rating course on a C525, and did TR Exam & I/R renewal.
As I would like to keep my C90 TR current, do I need to make an I/R check as well if I want to fly both type in IFR ?
Sounds a stupid question, but I was told by a german examiner/Intstructor, that I need to be I/R checked on EACH Valid Type ..... Confusing ????

By the way, when I completed the paperwork for CAA, they send me a new "certificate of revalidation" wich mention my C525 Rating validity, but nothing about my current I/R situation ? I suspect the German TRE should have completed (handwriting) a new IR line on it .
Could someone holding 2 types clarify the business (especially from the UK JAR licence point of view )
Many thanks
PR

PPRuNeUser0215
23rd Jun 2006, 18:33
Have you rung the CAA ? ;) Usually quite quick to answer and provide some kind of reference.

READY MESSAGE
23rd Jun 2006, 21:28
Think it will come down to whether your type ratings are single or multi pilot.
For the King Air you need a SP-ME-IR, I thinkk you need the same for the C525 too. You will only need to renew your IR once each year but the CAA normally insist that you do it on the most complex type you fly. If you did a SP LST on the C525 including IR test, this should cover you for the Be90 in terms of your IR. You will still need to complete a LPC on the Be90 but it needn't involve an IR section unless you're flying public transport, then the ops manual may well stipulate otherwise. The C525 TRE should have entered SP-ME-IR on your certificate of reval page in your licence.

badgerpuppy
24th Jun 2006, 05:42
i also hold types on both the 525 and 200 series, the deal is that there are only 3 types of IR as i and everyone i know understand it, (i could be totally wrong and it would not be the first time, but this is what many people i know have been operating to).

There is a single pilot single engine IR, a single pilot multi engine IR and a multi pilot type specific IR. Simple as that really. Theoretically you could hold VFR only type ratings on the 525 and 200 as you could a multi engine class rating VFR only. Of course that would be a bit daft.

The score is that if you completed either an initial IR or an IR renewal on any of the 3, you would have a valid single pilot multi engine IR which would cover you on all 3.

The most complex type thing is something the CAA had in the past as i understand it and no longer applies under JAR, though it seems to have taken it's time becoming well known.

As the other dude says, check with the campaign against just to be certain even though they don't seem to know their own rules these days.

At the mo i am flying the 525 on an IR i did on the 200, which the idiots at the belgrano would see as a more complex type (525)just because it is a jet but obviously they have never sat in either of them because quite clearly having four fuel tanks, six levers and a cockpit festooned with switches, steam instruments and other crap designed in the 60's is a whole lot more challenging than something with little tellys, two levers, two fuel tranks, no buttons (none on the ceiling i hasten to add, also no windscreen wipers) and an FMS that tells you that death is around the corner.

Exciting eh?

I'm off to bed.

tata.:ugh:

badgerpuppy
24th Jun 2006, 05:57
by the way, the public transport thing is quite correct, if you were going to operate any of those on an aoc, yes a nominated dude would have to give you an opc, which is basically an IR on whatever it is you were flying.

That's their responsibilty, not yours.

The griff being that you could actually hold the types non IFR and they have to check your instrument profficiency, though if you were out of practice you would be bloody nuts to have a go with some of the CRE / TRE peolpe i have come across.

Now it actually is bed time.

boo.:sad:

eyeinthesky
24th Jun 2006, 10:10
an opc, which is basically an IR on whatever it is you were flying.
UNQUOTE

Not really. For the companies for whom I fly, an OPC consists of a departure, usually with an engine failure, a non-precision approach on all engines, then a precision approach with one engine failed, followed by an asymmetric go-around into a visual circuit to an asymmetric landing. They might not be in this order (i,e precision approach first etc). If you are based at or close to a relevant airfield, you can complete an OPC in 30 mins.

The IR/LPC check includes an en-route phase, stalls and partial panel exercises. It usually takes at least an hour.

Usually we do the LPC/IR renewal at the same time once a year, and the OPC once a year six months after the LPC.

badgerpuppy
25th Jun 2006, 00:33
not really
UNQUOTE

yes ok, licencing proficiency check (LPC) or operator's proficiency check (OPC), as each year goes around, you need to satisfy an examiner that you are worthy of having whatever ratings you need on your licence (LPC). Usually six months later (if you are conducting public transport operations) you will be required to also fly with a CAA approved examiner who will conduct an Operator's proficiency check, the operator being required to conduct this to theoretically prove that they are confirming at regular intervals that you have not turned into a lunatic.

I have never really taken more or less time to get through either. Most people don't even seem to know the difference, apart from not doing a hold on an opc.

THE POINT BEING THAT THE MAN ASKED A SENSIBLE QUESTION AND I GAVE HIM A SENSIBLE ANSWER. IF HE IS GIVEN A FLIGHT TEST BY A NEW EMPLOYER AND NEEDS A TYPE RATING BACK ON HIS LICENCE - IT WILL GET DONE. IF HE NEEDS TO HAVE HIS IR PUT BACK ON - IT WILL BE DONE. IF HE HAS THOSE THINGS AND JUST NEEDS TO BE CHECKED BY THE OPERATOR, I AM SURE, BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT - IT WILL BE DONE.

Sometimes this website gets on your bloody nerves.

eyeinthesky
25th Jun 2006, 11:18
badgerpuppy:

Not quite sure why I get a flaming for reporting my observations on my flying practice in a similar way that you reported your experiences on the 525 and the 200.

I only wanted to clear any confusion as to whether an OPC was an IR renewal or not. Yours was not the ONLY possible sensible answer to a sensible question.

Perhaps you should go back to bed and get out of the other side of it.

badgerpuppy
25th Jun 2006, 21:35
eyeinthesky,

Sorry me old, honestly, was pissed and disorderly in a hotel in the states, one of those not enough sleep scenarios. Bit of a clanger eh?

Please accept my most sincere etc.

Have slapped own wrist, was out of order.

Pretend i just bought you a drink and offered you a fag.

oops.

BP.:=

eyeinthesky
26th Jun 2006, 09:25
No probs...

We've all been there!:\

PorcoRosso
27th Jun 2006, 09:41
Thank you guys

Sorry being late replying to your input (no internet access where I was ...)

So it seems am OK , since am flying IFR Private ops on both type (and single crew )

Best Regards all !

PR