PDA

View Full Version : Family Life

planemad_bk
23rd Jun 2006, 12:39
Any of you aviators flying Long Haul (or short haul) tell me what the toll on family life is like? Do you get to see your family as much as you would like? Interested to hear about what life is like for families with spouses/dads/mums flying for an Australian airline, ie. QF,VB,JQ,AO.

iamanaussiemavrick
23rd Jun 2006, 14:00
Hi,,

I also was having the same question..

I am going to start my training..

Want to know about how pilots maintain family life..

Can they spend time with their wife....parents...bro...sis...etc....

Waiting for all pilots replies

Regards

Kanak

tinpis
24th Jun 2006, 02:27
What a strange concept..normal family life and an aviation job :rolleyes:

No...wait..that should read normal life...

...er....life?

Aussie
24th Jun 2006, 06:10
Good luck havin a relationship in GA!

Unless of course you have a Sugar Mama..!!!! :}

Aussie

radargeekgirl
24th Jun 2006, 09:24
On a semi-serious note, my other half has landed a job in the middle of no-where. We have spent maybe the one year out of the past 3 in the same state - although that is due to both of us being away. I am moving 3500km from my current location, to be within 1500km of him.

You don't have a family life... having said that if you like being in a relationship where you don't have time to argue and appreciate any time you can spend together, whilst still having the freedom to spend time with your friends its great. But as part of a childless family I can manage, I suspect for those out there with kids the challange of job chasing can put a great deal of strain on the family. Hope this helps.

RGG

2dotsright
24th Jun 2006, 10:04
Had to reply to this one. Been happily married for 29 years to the same lady, have a bunch of good kids and all. 17000hours + flying ,and away from home a LOT. Presently on contract work and home 10 days/month. I know heaps who failed in the marriage stakes but that happens everywhere, not just in aviation. Met my wife when I was lowly, brand new instructor, so she knew what the future may hold and took the plunge. It's been great, so don't let anyone tell you it won't work, they're the losers. Good luck in your careers and live your dreams.
Oh, and marry the right girl in the first place.

kellykelpie
24th Jun 2006, 10:42
Found family life quite difficult in QF. We had our first child one week after I got into QF (my wife was induced so I could be at the birth in Perth). She left the hospital and her first night in bed was in Sydney in a small rental in Woollahra. I had to pick her up from the airport (luckily her mum came too) at about midnight after moving our furniture in that day. It was gay mardi gras in Sydney and the traffic was awful. We got home with the new baby and the place looked like a bomb had gone off. I was too busy with the ground school to help.

My wife's mum went home after a couple of weeks and I went to Europe for 8 days - a pattern that continued. Always tired when you get home and takes about 3 days to recover from a trip (double if a double shuttle).

Now on LOA from QF and just got my command with Jetstar asia. Have a maid and home every night. Life is really good but I know we are dreading the thought of going back to long haul.

Rabbit 1
24th Jun 2006, 10:42
so don't let anyone tell you it won't work, they're the losers.
Guess that makes me a loser then although I never told anyone it wouldn't work.
Medium haul o/s. Strike rate I've seen was 50% and some of the losers wound up winners in the longer term. Just a thought...

Flyboy_01
24th Jun 2006, 10:44
Exactly, what family life? :}

iamanaussiemavrick
24th Jun 2006, 13:27
Eeehhh!!!

We all are Humans....I think Family Life is important although you cant spend all the time with ur family...I think if you can spend atleast 10 days with ur wife...it's good...Hope i can do that with my Honey..!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Pass-A-Frozo
24th Jun 2006, 14:53
:p Good luck havin a relationship in GA!
Unless of course you have a Sugar Mama..!!!! :}
Aussie

geez.. come on Aussie. You never have had a problem getting a "Relationship". Of course you know the guys here mean longer than a night :p :p :p

Flyboy_01
25th Jun 2006, 02:26
Mr iamanaussiemavrick, 17 and a wife? 10 days? Out of a month or a week? :}

Towering Q
25th Jun 2006, 02:36
I think he means a year.:eek:

Towering Q
25th Jun 2006, 02:42
Further to....Good luck havin a relationship in GA!
It is possible if your partner has a 'regular' job, which is not that difficult in regional oz.
Having children is the tricky bit, can't afford to have the breadwinner out of action for too long.:sad:

WangFunk
25th Jun 2006, 02:57
I was in the same boat as RG Girl. Over three years, i think we managed about a year and a half together, and only cause she moved for me to some of these second world countries. We didnt make it in the end. I couldnt give her any security cause i didnt know where this job would take me next. Long distance is really hard and killed us. Having said that, Im now in a stable job back here at home, and found a really great girl!! Life is funny like that :oh:

Aussie
25th Jun 2006, 07:34
Hehe

Yeah, but Frozo, that was when i was wearing the greens... GA is a different story!!!

Aussie

iamanaussiemavrick
25th Jun 2006, 09:34
Hi all,

I meant in one month...I think i can manage that when i get a stable job...think tht i am indian....

I think I can make my honey happy....

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Continental-520
25th Jun 2006, 10:47
Yeah, if you've got something going, hang on to it, make the most of it, and enjoy what you have while you can, even if it is under a somewhat trying circumstance due to geographical distance, time, etc.

Aviation can be(/is) a very lonely existence for some indeed... :sad:

Flyboy_01
25th Jun 2006, 11:17
Now that's something you'd wanna keep to yourself! :E

The Messiah
25th Jun 2006, 11:24
I believe relationships are easy to maintain in airlines. A lot of the guys I fly with are maintaining steady relationships with several women, so it must be easy.

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jun 2006, 12:16
Interestingly my marriage ended while still in Talair...thus home every night.

I was shattered at the time however now think I am the luckiest guy around...no nagging wife but a great kid I am raising myself.

I have a Philipino Amah who takes care of the W I and E and the F is available all over the place:ok: :E

flyingtake2
25th Jun 2006, 12:44
Rule 1. Pick a partner that loves and supports you and your dreams / ambitions.

Rule 2. Keep your _ _ ick in your pants apart from when your home.

And you are on the way to a happy family life.

All professions can cause strains on family if not self managed properly. I know many an accountant and lawyer that has worked too many hours and played around / thus busted marriage to boot.

Aviation might be present a couple of more strains, than others however if you follow the rules you are on the way.

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jun 2006, 13:23
Hah!!

Rule 1. I thought I had.

Rule 2. I did..it was the Missus who couldn't control her urges.

The ultimate strain on any marriage is the unfortunate fact that men and women are not equiped by mother nature to stay together permanently....despite the best efforts of over 2000 yrs of brainwashing by sundry groups like the Catholic Church.

Oh that's super!
25th Jun 2006, 16:43
I don't deny that it poses difficulties upon a relationship to be apart a lot, but it's what you make of it. If you try and spend the best quality time possible and keep your pants on while not with each other (yes it's both ways - the one at home and the one who's away!), and your roster isn't so horrendous as to cause you not to appear to be a living human being when you get home, I think a successful marriage can be sustained.

Terezoulini
25th Jun 2006, 17:30
I CONSIDER THAT A IDEAL FAMILIAL LIFE THEY IS A UNCATCHABLE DREAM. HOWEVER IF THE

COUPLE HAS CONFIDENCE IN THEIR RELATION DOES NOT BREAKS. THEY IS NOT SUBJECT OF

WORK, BUT RESPECT IN THE MARRIAGE. :ok:

Transition Layer
26th Jun 2006, 01:22
The Messiah

I believe relationships are easy to maintain in airlines. A lot of the guys I fly with are maintaining steady relationships with several women, so it must be easy.

Haha, amen brother! Keeping a relationship through GA was bloody hard work and failed a number of times, but you'll be thanking your lucky stars you're single once you crack an airline gig ;)

TL