PDA

View Full Version : Floats or Instructing?

Piper2006
23rd Jun 2006, 10:51
Hi there,

I have a CPL, tho i haven't got that first job yet. Like a lot of new cpl's, i'm thinking quite seriously about getting into instructing once i've finished my atpl's. But I have always been interested in Float flying as well. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on which would be the better option. I'd like to get into corporate charter and airline flying eventually, i'd presume that Instructing wud be the better option to lead me to this, but i'd like to hear from people who may be able to offer any advice.

Is there any twin float flying here in oz?

Please feel free to PM me :)

disco_air
23rd Jun 2006, 12:56
Floats is good fun, but generally all singles in Aus, except for Pearl Aviation (Mallards, so technically not floats either ;) ) In terms of difficulty, cost and application required, Floats and FIR are really not comparable qualifications, but certainly career paths might be.

Floats generally = scenic and charter which is perhaps the kind of hours you should seek if ultimately chasing corporate/airline flying but thats a whole argument in itself comparing charter to instructing hours. Not going into that :8

Saw an ad in the Australian today for a float plane job for new CPL's so its definately a start for the initial few hundred hours. Larger float operators will want a couple hundred on floats before considering you.

While on the topic, does anyone know the typical experience one needs to get on the Pearl Mallards? Floats/MultiCmd/Turbine?

Cheers

...Disco

beeva
24th Jun 2006, 23:35
Flying floats is a very rewarding and challenging career. Some guys fly floats for a while then move on to airlines later on but more commonly guys with an instructing background, ME IFR, C/T etc naturally progress quicker to an airline job because that is what they are more focussed on. It's a matter of personal preference which way you go but I would suggest the instructing path would be a more logical way to go, airline like this background.
Flying floats is sort of a niche area of aviation like ag,rotary etc and you find most guys who are flying floats are doing it as a career. If you like being near the water and have an interest in boats (and flying) then it gives you the best of both worlds, however as with any form of aviation, it comes not without it's inherent risks and hidden traps...you are operating a seaplane on the water which is a very dynamic environment... there is always something that can catch you out and turn your day pear shaped very quickly!:sad: Having said that, this is what makes floats such an interesting,unique and challenging career path as every flight is so different from leaving the dock to arriving back at the dock.
With the twin side of things, I beleive the Mallards are the only twin operation in oz (flying boats, a different kettle of fish again).
Last I heard the minimums were
Valid ATPL,CIR,2000hrs tt,1000 water landings,300 twin.
So it's all a matter of personal prefence really, there's no right or wrong way to go, why not go for airlines now and floats later?

Shitsu_Tonka
25th Jun 2006, 00:33
Floats.

------------------------- -------------------------

tinpis
25th Jun 2006, 01:53
I think the floats would be fun.
One thinks floats /water /somewhere warmish/birds scantily clad/etc

Not Canady tho.
Cold/bears/injuns.

tin never been inna floaty plane

Oktas8
25th Jun 2006, 10:14
tin never been inna floaty plane

Has tin ever been in a sinky plane?

Tell us the story...

Kickatinalong
25th Jun 2006, 10:41
****SU TONKA SAID ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE SAID.:D :D :D

pakeha-boy
26th Jun 2006, 00:34
beeva...nice touch mate....did floats with "Rust,s" on lake hood,Anc,Alaska for 3 seasons....had the time of my life...transitioned to the airlines(major mistake)..but if I ever get hit with a "herarsement" charge and get the boot...will go back to floats for sure.....interestingly,a mate of mine called me up asking me if Iwas interested in doing some part time stuff in the southeast(Ketchikan)....told me 3 retired Delta pilots were hired to fly the season..reckoned the ink was still wet on the licenses when they were hired,having a hard time finding blokes with the "Alaska Time"......

Tin mate...if you havent flown floats...you havent flown!!!!....kia ora!!

tinpis
26th Jun 2006, 00:50
Does water ski-ing count? :hmm:

pakeha-boy
26th Jun 2006, 00:54
mate!!......... only if you have gone over 2 jumps(in a row)...over -taken the boat.....and..................NAKED!!!!!:} :}

dmussen
26th Jun 2006, 03:29
Have flown everything from single light piston to heavy 4 jet including single fast jets with the RAF in a previous career.
Over the last fifteen years I have got my hands on a Beaver , an Otter and two different Caravans, all on floats. This is by far the best flying I have experienced. They let me have a go but I am non-current at present. Tommorrw I have my first go in a Mallard BME- Cone Bay and return. Can't wait. Working in the Kimberley Is a unique experience and I can reccomend it.

beeva
29th Jun 2006, 05:54
dmussen,

enjoy your time flying in the kimberley, it is a fantastic part of the country-especially on floats!! just those 12m tides you gotta deal with!!