PDA

View Full Version : Savusavu Airport

Diatryma
23rd Jun 2006, 04:32
Hi all,

I think this is the first post I have started, so please tell me if I'm in the wrong forum for a topic like this.

I am aware of two serious incidents at Savusavu airport in Fiji relating to the condition/width of the runway surface. In my opinion there are serious safety concerns there which are not being addressed.

Here's one:

http://www.fijivillage.com/artman/publish/article_29692.shtml

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience they would like to share?

:uhoh:

Di

skol
24th Jun 2006, 04:45
I always thought this was a pretty dodgy place to operate into. Don't know what the glideslope angle there is, but very steep. Only place I've ever been to where the approach was done at idle power all the way down. I used to fly Herons there so I can't claim to be all that current. Gypsy Queens, those were the days. Probably get more interest if this topic was on the Dununda & Godzone forum.

FloatJockey
25th Jun 2006, 10:42
Just remeber any airport has it's little quirks! Savu Savu is not exception, don't mention Koro or Vanuabalavu or even Cia Cia, as they also have there considerations too! Coconut trees that line either side of a runway and reach up to 70ft are a real wind twister and so you are facing a whole lot of mixed up conditions when the south easterly trades are roaring through!
It's a piloting thing in the end and the runway it self is not the main cause of problems encountered. You just gotta respect your limitations and make adjustments for the conditions you face. The Bandit has rudder/aileron interlink and this also plays into crosswind tolerance. The Otter is much more flexible in these situations i reckon.

Cheers,

Floaty

R.Cruizo
25th Jun 2006, 10:56
G'day Floaty,
Another Island Twotter Driver! Were you with Air Fiji or Vanua Air?.

PM me if you like!

R.Cruizo

Animalclub
26th Jun 2006, 02:02
Skol

Were you one of the heroes (in my opinion) who flew Herons from Honiara via all ports to Nadi? Met a few of them at the Mendana!!! 'Nuff said.