PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) Advice wanted

_ASH_
22nd Jun 2006, 13:22
Hi AGAIN!!!

Can anyone offer me any tips or advice for starting my PPL(H)

I am soon to be in the situation to be able to start learning but I have to sell my car & live on the breadline...

How easy is it to get a sponser once I have my PPL(H) so I can get my commercial licence and what sort of money are they on?

Many thanks in advance...

ASH

Whirlygig
22nd Jun 2006, 13:47
Ash,

I believe Heliport posted a link for you with FAQs - there really is quite a lot in there!

But, what sort of advice do you want? I can tell you that sponsorships do not currently exist! If you are looking for a commercial licence after PPL and are having to sell your car for that, you will struggle to afford a CPL. Sorry.

Many flying schools have their own websites so do a search for those and check out your local school. Pay them a visit and chat to someone about what's involved.

Cheers

Whirls

Pandalet
22nd Jun 2006, 13:54
First, as you're over 25, there aren't really any bursaries available to you. There are a few bursaries and scholarships available to younger pilots, but I couldn't find any for 25+ oldbies.

Second, there are loads of self-funded low-hour commercial pilots searching for jobs...this means that you'd have to be insanely lucky to find someone prepared to sponsor you. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but any deal is likely to be based on someone wanting _you_, not just a pilot - for example, your Mom decides she needs a helicopter for her (own) company and offers to cover (or help with) your training so as to keep it in the family.

Something worth doing is deciding what sort of area you'd like to work in, then making contact with the companies who provide that service - organise visits, find out what they look for in new hires, find out whether they're planning any expansion anytime soon. Get known!

If you really want to start training right now, that is you're not prepared to spend a year (or 4) saving up first, consider a bank loan. Having said that, if you do go the loan route, make absolutely, positively sure you've worked out exactly how you're going to repay it, over how long, what you'll be able to afford while repaying, etc. etc. There are all too many people who blithely take loans they can't afford, then end up in a really sticky mess.

Expect to pay in the region of £12k (for the PPL), possibly more. Definately check around as some schools are cheaper than others. You really want to be flying at least once a week, but consider every two weeks if cash is tight; less than twice per month isn't generally recommended as you tend to spend too much time relearning stuff you've forgotten.

Something you might consider is checking with your flight school whether they need any help that can be put towards your flying - web design is often in demand, but they may well need someone to man the desk over the weekend, or even just a hanger-rat. The money probably won't be great, but it all helps, and if you hang around flying clubs, people often offer free rides :ok:

Lots of useful info here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122944

scooter boy
22nd Jun 2006, 14:37
Ash,

If you can muster the funds you could buy a close to timed out R22 with a fresh 50hr on it, do your ticket in it then sell it on. At least this way you might recoup some of the initial expense. Also you can put some hours towards your commercial/night qualifications if you so choose and the machine has a night kit.

The risk is that the machine may be a dog and you may have some hefty maintenance bills to get the hours out of it that you need.

Helidata is a good starting point for locating a machine.

There is no such thing as an inexpensive route to the PPL(H) though.

Do you have a rich uncle?? ;)

lynx247
22nd Jun 2006, 19:05
Ash,

I have a lovely logbook, and a very nice plastic laminate containing a CPL(H) and C-Cat rating.

But that is why I don't own a house, and my car has seen better days...

Unfortunately, it is going to cost you nothing short of a fortune to become a commercial helicopter pilot, and with several hundred hours behind me, I am still spending enough money to bring tears to my eyes... in the form of an IR(H).

I give regular UK based (and free) seminars on becoming a commercial helicopter pilot, that are very factual, blunt and will tell you exactly what it is all about. The seminars have been very successful and people are coming from all over the UK. The next one is this Saturday in Oxford - I'm full, but you are still welcome to attend - we'll find a spare chair. Please do PM me if you would like some more details.

Hope this helps.

airborne_artist
22nd Jun 2006, 21:16
Ash - the ladies prefer to be called females, not femails. I think Whirls will back me on this :}

Whirlygig
22nd Jun 2006, 23:44
airbone_artist,

you are dead right, I do not particularly wish to be called femail over and above female but, all other things being equal, I would prefer to be called a woman!

Cheers

Whirls

Pandalet
23rd Jun 2006, 07:35
Me too!

(actually, I'd prefer to be called Alison, but, y'know, that's just me...)