PDA

View Full Version : Web-based ATC simulator

JayLink
22nd Jun 2006, 11:49
Would any of you like to try my web-based ATC simulator?

London & Synday are two of the featured airports.

Here's the URL:

http://www.atc-sim.com

I'd love to know what you think!

Best regards,

- Jay Link

Keygrip
22nd Jun 2006, 12:39
Had a VERY quick glance - looks fun (and, as a flight examiner, I think it could be interesting as a training tool for IFR students).

I would want to print out a reference card of instructions (until I got used the speed of the game).

I noticed a wind direction - but didn't see any wind strengths - so don't know if they can land crosswind or downwind, for "expeditious" purposes.

Felix Saddler
22nd Jun 2006, 15:08
good fun :D just sat on it for an hour

A V 8
22nd Jun 2006, 17:14
Jay, I salute you :D :ok:

This will definately make my night shifts go quicker!

(Just like to point out that I'm not employed in ATC!!)

pilotho
22nd Jun 2006, 17:23
this simulation is really good and being an ATC is definetly very stressful thing is, it would make it alot better if these things will land!!

i keep typing anyid l 9r for example and the stupid pilots just continue on their heading!!

so frustrating!! and i am sure there were loadsa airprox hehe!

troddenmasses
22nd Jun 2006, 17:28
Fabulous. I just wish that there were a way of slowing down the number of pop-ups. A traffic density control would really be welcome. Other than that - thankyou very much - great fun.

pilotho
23rd Jun 2006, 21:49
well,

finally managed to get these pilots to land their planes, and i must say that i was hooked on this sim. spent like 90mins on it without a single crash!!

i wonder if i am a natural ATCO?! :}

SM4 Pirate
24th Jun 2006, 08:17
Put some time in (top two ranks as of two days ago, SY and LHR), the biggest problem is the altitude the inbounds start at; sure continue the pop-up nature to spice it up but have them come in a 50, 60, and 70 not at what appear to be strange levels sometimes appearing in clusters already in conflict. Would be good if you could multi-task, ie give two instructions at once like tracking, heading or levels etc. They also climb and descend like 'dogs'.

Also nice to see the strip 'higlighted' when you have the callsign (by clicking the label) in the task window, so you can read the information, they get lost when there are similar callsigns and numbers.

If only the 'real world' we as easy as this...

Daysleeper
24th Jun 2006, 15:56
Thats great, just lost myself for 2 hours there. good job.

Jerricho
24th Jun 2006, 17:13
5 mile separation? Can't do that ;)

Pistonprop
24th Jun 2006, 18:12
In my aviation days things moved more slowly. Now the only thing that moves slowly is me! :) . Would like different levels of difficulty so that beginners could start with less traffic whilst they get the hang of things. I would prefer inbounds to pop up earlier and at levels such as 50 60 or 70. Not having advance info on the inbounds makes outbound clearances a lottery. Having said all this, great fun nevertheless :ok: Btw, I thought seperation was 3 miles in the TMA?

Keygrip
24th Jun 2006, 18:55
Right - I've had a longer "play" and have figured out the command scripts.

Bit fast and furious at times - but still a great educational tool (and fun - though I doubt it was written as a "game").

I would be VERY interested to hear from an ATCO as to how THEY would handle it. With each aircraft apparently needing seperate heading, level and speed commands, is there a suggested order? Would you organise a neat flow around the edge of the screen to make life easier - or just get 'em in ASP.

Would you use ALL runways (there is a wind direction given - not seen a wind strength)?

Anybody want to give us airframe drivers a clue as to how it would work?

atco112
25th Jun 2006, 04:58
Very good simulator would have been usefull when I was training at the college. Just spent a few hours on it I always knew I was TC material now I have mastered EGLL my application will be going in tomorrow!

10W
25th Jun 2006, 11:14
Nice effort :ok:

Although there are several MORs going in about those TC intermediate boys bunging stuff in to my holding patterns at levels already allocated when traffic is already there. Instant 'red callsigns' ;) Hold the buggers at HON until I'm ready will ya !! :p

pulse1
25th Jun 2006, 13:40
It takes me about 10 minutes before I type QUIT in a panic. Now my head hurts! :(

reverserunlocked
28th Jun 2006, 12:55
Sweet Jesus. That's not easy. I can cope for about five minutes and even then need copious pressing of the pause button to regain situational awareness. I'll never slag off an ATCO ever again.....

Squawk 2650
28th Jun 2006, 15:58
Thanks for sharing thats its quality... any chance of getting a mobile phone version.....

S
:cool:

Waryhawk
28th Jun 2006, 20:54
I'm addicted!

mad_jock
28th Jun 2006, 21:57
Any one else found you can get them doing mach 2.3 on the down wind, at 1000ft at LHR.

Its a cracking free program and I have lean't alot of CRM with ATC by my fanny around with the program.

You should maybe stick it in one of the pilots forum's to get a better exposure.

the only changes i would suggest is adding votex wake on the finals and not just leaving it as a cop out of clearing something to get seperation. And having standard arrivals ie no clashes res when you thought you had everything set up and some tosser gives you one at 3k. And also SID's for the departure.

I know **** all about ATC but formation landings which i have pulled off in the program although acceptable as pilots in certain situations i would thought been way out side ATC rules.

And the J31 pilots in Oz are a bunch of poof's, missed approach at 240 knts getting turned on at 5 DME, work it lads. Thats the whole point of flying something with no bog fitted.

But points aside it is a bloody excellent tool to exposing pilots to TC's job. How good it is for ATC I can't say but for a pilot it is well sound. I t is way ahead of an ATcO fannying around with MS FS

as some one else has said can one of you ATC's explain how you would say setup for LHR. As pilot i give them max warp factor on departure clear them to fl 100 and give them direct. Then take everything around the edge low. and bend them in all done at 240 knts and then meshing the streams together towards the runways. seems to work ok unless some **** stick's one in at the corner on one of my downwind streams at 3k.

MJ

Roffa
29th Jun 2006, 15:19
About the most realistic PC ATC sim you can get, outside of the real thing, is this one (http://www.londoncontrol.com/).

Also has an active forum for answering questions etc.

anotherthing
30th Jun 2006, 08:48
Porco Ross

It still has an awful lot of bugs and discrepancies tho, but I will admit its a very very good stab at a sim

newATC
30th Jun 2006, 11:20
Great fun Jay. Good job. :D :D :D

tolgab
30th Jun 2006, 14:17
http://www.simulatedsky.aero/main.htm?home.htm~mainf

check this one out aswell, a friend has been working on it, quite neat.

KBaB
1st Jul 2006, 14:39
Years ago I had a tower sim, bad graphics but the game was great!

Anyone know what it was called?

Gonzo
1st Jul 2006, 20:54
Tower, perchance....

KBaB
3rd Jul 2006, 17:52
always one and I always attract them :rolleyes:

rodan
3rd Jul 2006, 17:59
No, really, it was called 'Tower'.

Gonzo
3rd Jul 2006, 18:00
No, seriously!
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=1178
BAO's Tower...

KBaB
3rd Jul 2006, 21:09
ah excellent cheers guys, remember it from when I was a kid...

PPRuNe Radar
3rd Jul 2006, 22:08
I think Heathrow bought it to power their new sim :ok:

chinook<NL>
4th Jul 2006, 10:44
try this one also : http://www.acc.umu.se/~simsoft/download.php

planeenglish
13th Jul 2006, 07:33
Hello all,

Jerricho, I tried the search function and couldn't find this link anywhere. In my specialization study have had to undergo some slight ATC training and find this forum quite useful for many reasons.

I thought finally I could add something after having taken for so long. :)

This site was given to me on another forum and hope you all enjoy it as much I have.
http://www.skyguide.ch/en/Infotainment/

Gonzo, I see you are from Plymouth. My photo on the photo thread was taken close to your city on my first of two business trips to Plymouth. Really a lovely place.

Best to all,

PE

Gonzo
13th Jul 2006, 08:31
Just looked at your pic, looks like Burgh Island at Bigbury beach?

Where did you find out I was from Plymouth? Getting paranoid now!

Anyway, back on topic, if only aircraft in real life would obey all your instructions, as they do in sims!

planeenglish
13th Jul 2006, 08:41
Hi Gonzo, actually it is called "the nipple" of all things where that photo was taken.

Best,
PE

REVOLUTION
13th Jul 2006, 13:31
Why would any ATCO want to spend his free time on an ATC simulator?

Dances with Boffins
14th Jul 2006, 12:35

Considering you have posted this on page 2 of a thread about web-based ATC simulators, I hope the irony of your comment is not lost on you:)

Gonzo
14th Jul 2006, 17:03

Why would any ATCO want to look at an ATC internet forum?

Jerricho
14th Jul 2006, 17:08
To meet nice people like you Gonze :p

Gonzo
14th Jul 2006, 17:51
A compliment? You feeling ok, Jer? :confused:

REVOLUTION
14th Jul 2006, 18:38
It seemed to me that the majority of the replies in this post were not from ATCO's, the programmer actually asked for the opinion of an ACTO.

After working hard at work I like to come home and chill out, I tune into this forum every now and again but I would say playing on an ATC sim is a lot different from reading the latest rumours!

REVOLUTION
14th Jul 2006, 18:43
After a hard day at work I also get dyslexic!