PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Roadshow in SA

beechbum
21st May 2006, 20:09
I see Emirates are bringing their roadshow to JHB on the 2nd and 3rd of June to be held at the Sandton Hilton Hotel. Probably the wrong forum to ask this on but anyone have any idea what this is all about? Probably just a meet and greet I guess!!!!!
And who's going to have a look see??????????...............................:E

BYMONEK
21st May 2006, 20:59
Hope it gets a little bit more interest than the one in the UK!

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd May 2006, 05:54
If EK dropped the jet time restriction they'd have access to a pool of experienced crews with decent time on turbines willing to sacrifice body parts for that first jet job. I'm talking about the contract pilots who've been around for a few years and are ready to move on and settle down.

beechbum
22nd May 2006, 07:19
SRT, maybe if you're in town drop in and see them and drop an idea in their heads that it would probably be worthwhile to cast their net a little wider.
Dunno but it's worth a shot!!!!
Good luck.........:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd May 2006, 07:30
SRT, maybe if you're in town...

And therein lies the problem...:( It's a contract thang, don'tcherknow?:ok:

If things work out one will definitely head out there and lay the good news on them but as everyone knows, just kick a tree and ten wannabe's like me drop out.:hmm: :ugh: Doesn't hurt to try but all online applications have been returned with the old jet time line tacked onto them. 4000 hours of multi turbine appears to carry no weight.

beechbum
22nd May 2006, 07:35
Yep that's what I thought. Anyway the advert in the Times yesterday requested that you drop an e-mail to the recruiting staff stating your availability to attend. Maybe just maybe if you got there to see someone you could have a chat with the guys and see what their feelings were on the matter but I guess if you ain't here it ain't going to help!!!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd May 2006, 07:41
Anyone have the email addy for confirmation of attendance? Might be worth giving it a shot if departure is delayed for any reason or just dropping a line with a few thoughts.

beechbum
22nd May 2006, 08:20
SRT, the e-mail address is [email protected].
the dates are: 2nd June 1.00pm - 4.00pm; 3rd June 2.00 pm - 5.00pm
Addy states: Please register your interest, stating which session you would like to attend. Anyway hope this helps.

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd May 2006, 09:45
Cheers, boet..

Much obliged.:ok:

bianchi
22nd Jun 2006, 08:54
Heard( rumour) that Emirates Airlines is(was) in Jnb on a "Roadshow"for drivers for there soon to be park aircrafts.:uhoh:
Anyone heard more on this?( Any thruth to this rumour?)

putt for dough
22nd Jun 2006, 15:04
They were here in joburg a few weeks back.
I heard the other day that they have already parked
a few B777's due to lack of crew:{
Emirates: pick me,pick me:ugh:

bianchi
22nd Jun 2006, 16:06
Keep on trying, if "they" are so short you will come right!:ok:
Keen to hear how many was taken from the varies airlines in SA.Always a good thing to see movement!

Goodluck to all that attend "the roadshow"

Mark J B
23rd Jun 2006, 10:51
Yes they were here. Not budging on the entry requirements though.:{ Still 4000TT and 2000 medium jet.:(

rockandroll1
24th Jun 2006, 23:03
Yes - and would you expect airlines to change requirements just because they cant get pilots which would mean sacrifying safety?! Wake up, if you want a sustainable operation you need certain criteria.

R.Cruizo
25th Jun 2006, 07:57
Yes - and would you expect airlines to change requirements just because they cant get pilots which would mean sacrifying safety?! Wake up, if you want a sustainable operation you need certain criteria.

Not dropping the 4000TT, I can understand. But I seriously don't believe looking at guys with Saab 340 , Brasilia or ATR EFIS type experience instead of medium jet is going to Sacrifice safety!!!

RC

Mark J B
25th Jun 2006, 20:15
Rockand roll1 get a life mate! Dropping the requirements was said tongue in cheek. I admire the fact that they want to keep up the standards but was hopeful that they would consider the type of requirements Cathay use for their direct entry FO's. Your tone was uncalled for!:rolleyes:

bafanguy
25th Jun 2006, 20:32
Not dropping the 4000TT, I can understand. But I seriously don't believe looking at guys with Saab 340 , Brasilia or ATR EFIS type experience instead of medium jet is going to Sacrifice safety!!!

RC

RC,

That's quite correct. No one is born with 10,000 hours of widebody time. Everyone got it someplace, right ? Otherwise, how do those decrying such a move explain THEIR entry into their current circumstances ?

Placing motivated people in an established carrier with a strong training program, good standardization, and a cadre of experienced captains to pass along what they know would be a great place for a guy with several thousand hours and a good bit of TP time to "get his feet wet" in larger airplanes, particularly if upgrade is not right around the corner for them.

I saw it happen countless times in our operation. The guys coming from regional carriers with TP or smaller jet time were more than capable of absorbing and using the training provided to become valued, trusted crewmembers. The system weeded out the very small number for whom this plan did not work.

I'm afraid folks who deny this fact of life just may have other motives for doing so.

ZS340
26th Jun 2006, 18:45
The youngsters who had TP time and even SAAF DC3 time generally had no problem adapting to the right seat of an airbus.... My experience was that the only ones that did battle were the Hot Shot Jet Jocks and the fling wingers that had been flinging wings for a long time.
Mind you it all boils down to individual ability in the end.

My experience as (2O years+) current trainer IRE/TRE

However if an operator has a standard set, with minimum requirements, it would be very awkward from a liability point of view should the untoward happen, and it emerged that those involved were recruited from lower requirments.

So I can see why they are maintaining their minimum requirements, besides girls, it's their trainset, let them play with it as they wish. It amuses me with the attitudes that some of these whippersnappers portray...... we have a right etc etc.....

Go out there and get the hours and hen you have the minimum requirements apply. Get in the F"$£"$g que like we all had to:ugh:

Q4NVS
26th Jun 2006, 19:41
Well said ZS340!

When most start out in aviation, with fresh CPL's, they generally spend the first 2 years (some much more), bitching about why it is so unfair that they do not qualify for that airline job etc.

It is and always will be interesting to watch, how as soon as most get off their Soap Boxes and onto the apron, things start happening as well (in real time though).

Stick it out, and more importantly, Map your career in terms of what you need to do when in order to reach your Individual Goals.

This means that often, taking all the off-ramps to get to the next "destination" might not be that easy. But Hey, to get from Jozi to Cape Town you unfortunately have to drive through the Grasmere Toll Plaza.

Just so, in your career, you often have to make difficult decisions that in good time, will get you to your "destination".

Might not be today though - That's the journey of Life :ooh:

bafanguy
26th Jun 2006, 21:21
However if an operator has a standard set, with minimum requirements, it would be very awkward from a liability point of view should the untoward happen, and it emerged that those involved were recruited from lower requirments.

ZS340,

I certainly don't know how the legal aspects of this play over there, but I live in what has to be one of the most litigious countries on earth where they'll sue you for looking at them sideways. I've never heard of "...lower requirements..." ( an almost undefineable term due to its complete subjectivity ) being part of accident/incident legal consequences and the carriers over here are hiring at some pretty low times compared to the issue of EK's 4000 hour applicants.

I would say that people at 3-4000hours and some complex aircraft experience have already pretty well "mapped" their careers with a good start and preparation for the next step.

What would you suggest for a company such as EK that would not constitute "...lower requirements...". Most all of us got where we are ( or were, in my case ) because someone recognized we possessed the quals to take that next step. None of us was born with thousands of hours of heavy time.

This is a pretty interesting subject.

R.Cruizo
27th Jun 2006, 00:33
Actually, come to think of it. ZS340 &droll1 could be right!! I really could see how a Brasilia or ATR Captain would be a liability in the right seat of a jet Airline. How dare one of those whippersnappers think of flying a jet!

When Emirates / Cathay run out of suitable jet applicants just push the aircraft against the fence, at least you haven't dropped your standards.

Trouble is, in another 30 years or so, when all the jet experienced pilots are retired or dead from old age and there's a few thousand Airbus/B767 sitting idle doing nothing, what then?

Yossarian
27th Jun 2006, 05:07
Of course someone with two thousand hours on TPs could do the job. It is all very much related to the individual. In my opinion, that is the way EK should be going. Who knows, when the lack of crew becomes enough of an issue, perhaps they will.

Unfortunately it is their Monopoly board, so they are setting the game rules. Until they really feel the pinch and find that noone wants to play with them anymore, they probably won't change the rules.

kingpost
27th Jun 2006, 05:49
No need to label guys who "fit" into the right hand seat with regards to their SAAF experience,what about the other chaps, it does however all boil down to the 3 basics, skill, attitude and knowledge - what someone lacks in one aspcet can be built up in another - individual ability.

The reason EK have these requirements is because you start off without a jet orientation course, you go straight into transition training and then to do line training. The line training is not between JNB and CPT or DBN its either off to some internatioal port like HKG, LHR or SYD (and many others) - that is why they would like some experience under the belt.

So no offence to the turbo prop chaps, who I personally think work harder then a jet driver, wait it out for two things to happen, either you will be recruited by Comair or Nation Wide (affirmative action candidate - then SAA) or when the jet drivers dry up I'm sure EK or Cathay will grab you - who knows I heard second officers are on the cards at EK, but they do change their minds rather often.

Good luck guys

bafanguy
27th Jun 2006, 13:31
. The line training is not between JNB and CPT or DBN its either off to some internatioal port like HKG, LHR or SYD (and many others) - that is why they would like some experience under the belt.

How does one get experience going to "...some international port like HKG, LHR, or SYD ( and many others)..." without getting in an airplane and going there ? That's how experience gets "under the belt".

Everyone reaches a point in his professional development where he's ready to take the next step up. I can't see a difference or advantage between doing it at one airline vs another as long as the airline is properly equipped and motivated to provide the training, standardization, and experience transfer from seasoned captains to the FO's.

I've watched this process for too many years to believe there's anything wrong with doing it this way. We operated into KLGA, KJFK, KDCA, KATL, KBOS, KORD, KLAX, KSFO, and more, some of the fastest moving, most densely packed airspace you can imagine. Bringing the new guys up to speed in this environment wasn't dangerous.

One cannot get experience operating in these environments without...operating in these environments. And a guy with 3-4000 hours and previous complex, multi-crew experience will rapidly come up to speed.

My 35 years of empirical evidence clearly supports the point in my mind.

kingpost
27th Jun 2006, 22:12
Bafanguy

How does one get experience going to "...some international port like HKG, LHR, or SYD ( and many others)..." without getting in an airplane and going there ? That's how experience gets "under the belt".

Exactly and that is what they want, the previous airline has provided the employee with that sort of experience - such as FO's from Singapore, Mauritius and Delta.

Hang in there, those candidates are drying up and they will then look at other experience.

bafanguy
27th Jun 2006, 23:22
Bafanguy

Exactly and that is what they want, the previous airline has provided the employee with that sort of experience - such as FO's from Singapore, Mauritius and Delta.

Hang in there, those candidates are drying up and they will then look at other experience.

And, there is no practical reason why new FO's cannot initially get that same experience at EK.

kingpost
28th Jun 2006, 07:31
And, there is no practical reason why new FO's cannot initially get that same experience at EK.

Wow you're persistent - why should EK employ unexperienced guys when the experiened ones in those areas are waiting to get in with loads on international experience.

Just bare in mind that you'll pass through these ports in less than 24hrs. Something to think about if you want to join Ek - personally I would set your sights on a career airine like Cathay.

Baas
28th Jun 2006, 18:27
Hello people...!
I see in previous threads that South Africans still regard themselves as the
"manne"! :ok:
Guys wake up and smell the tea, Emirates get enough guys in with more than the min requirements, why? USA has opened up, steady stream of guys from there after some company closures, Europe, Asia etc etc
Know what is happening in Europe, get the facts and you will be surprised to know how big the aviation industry is over there!
SA aviation is farting in the wind, guys refering to prop time, this, that and the other TRYING TO JUSTIFY the issue??? Please!!! :yuk:
Medium plus Jet Time guys are fighting it out over there....!
Last thought, they are recruiting world wide, I tend to think they will pick up guys with min requirements!
Wannabees! := No short cuts, pay your dues! :{
:E

R.Cruizo
29th Jun 2006, 00:38
Mr Baas,
Sadly I wasn't born with 10'000hrs of medium jet time like you, so please excuse me for wanting to have my career.

The "issue" ,as you put it was what happens when they run out of suitable experienced applicants. In case you didn't notice, there are other airlines recruiting too.

Finally, yep the USA has oppened up. Jet pilot v Jet pilot for jobs????? look at asia. I think you stuck in 2001 old chap!!!

Baas
29th Jun 2006, 12:51
H i Dude...!
Going to be sweet as pie....!

I might be stuck in 2001 :uhoh: ....(wait for it).....but you are stuck on the prop's cousie! :E

Sorry Mate!

:ok:

kingpost
30th Jun 2006, 11:28
R.Cruizo
Sadly I wasn't born with 10'000hrs of medium jet time like you, so please excuse me for wanting to have my career.

Stop freaking complaining, your quote is so childish, we all worked our way towards making ourselves marketable.

Now wind your neck in, get more time under your belt and make yourself employable.

Some advise for you as you're clearly unexperienced with a comment like that - along the way make sure you enjoy yourself as the best flying is always in the development toward a bigger ship - don't rush it for the sake of flying "heavy metal"

goatherd
30th Jun 2006, 12:08
Guys

For your info very few people get into Emirates with 4000 hours....More in the region of 6000 to 10 000 unless you have been a cadet somewhere else and 3800 of your 4000 are on the bus.

The new boss of recruitment is a Japie and rumour has it that they are trying to reduce the hours (remember local cadets fly the heavies with 300 hours!!) to maybe 2500. At the moment they are picking up guys in Brazil where Varig is slipping down the greasy slope.

Personally I think the best place to go to is Cathay, their FO pay is a lot better than Emirates and the wait in the right seat is just getting longer and longer and....

R.Cruizo
30th Jun 2006, 12:14
Clearly you have missed the point I and others are trying to make on this thread.

I see no further reason to waste my time debating with you. Oh by the way, both your assumptions are 100% incorrect.

Aureviour

RC

Baas
30th Jun 2006, 12:48
Goatherd...?

Confirm a Japie is the boss in HR ? :D

Mr Cruizo, it seems to me your break is not so far off.....! Contact the Japie at HR...!

:}

kingpost
30th Jun 2006, 13:16
Mr Cruizo

You strike me as a kid that has had all his flying paid for by daddy and now that you're in the big world his money can't buy you a fast track.

Either you sit it out or change careers, with that attitude, think about changing

bafanguy
30th Jun 2006, 22:55
Wow you're persistent - why should EK employ unexperienced guys when the experiened ones in those areas are waiting to get in with loads on international experience.

kingpost,

I'm not persistent...the truth is persistent. All I've said is that the 3-4000 hours guys can do the job at a carrier like EK just fine. If the likes of EK wants to hire such pilots, that is their business. I'm just saying such pilots will work out.

If the captains have to put out a bit more effort to mentor the new guys and transfer their experience to them, so be it; that's why they get the big money. Part of their job is bringing along the FO's to become captain material ( it has always been part of the captain's job ). Someone did it for the High & Mighty captains of today to enable them to perform as they do. Now, it just may be THEIR turn to give back to the profession by mentoring the next generation.

Of course EK wants to hire the high time people and it's THEIR party so they get to send out the invitations and decide what party games are played.

My point is that hiring the 3-4000 hour people will NOT result in EK ( or any other airline ) producing scads of smoking holes in the ground.

All I can do is look back at the past 35 years...you need to look forward to the NEXT 35.

kingpost
1st Jul 2006, 08:27
Bafanguy

When EK someone they hire them as a captain, even though they sit in the RHS for 3 years. Some of the places they go into do not allow you to sit back and explain to the chap next to you what's going on.

If you've had 35 years in aviation then believe me, it's not the same place. You had the glorydays of flying and it's best remembered as such. It doesn't work like that any more, well certainly not at a profitable airline.

bianchi
1st Jul 2006, 09:41
Sorry to see the reaction my comment on "the Emirates Raodshow" rumour / question has caused.:sad: That was not the intention.Just enjoy youselves and keep on trying to get to the bigmachines!:)

Bianchi !!

goatherd
1st Jul 2006, 09:57
Baas

No, not the boss of HR but of Pilot Recruitment. HR is still run by W***ers!:ugh:

bafanguy
1st Jul 2006, 16:57
Bafanguy

When EK someone they hire them as a captain, even though they sit in the RHS for 3 years. Some of the places they go into do not allow you to sit back and explain to the chap next to you what's going on.

If you've had 35 years in aviation then believe me, it's not the same place. You had the glorydays of flying and it's best remembered as such. It doesn't work like that any more, well certainly not at a profitable airline.

kingpost,

Every airline hires "captains" ( and that's exactly what we were told in new hire orientation 30+ years ago ); it's often in the form of FO's with captain potential. This demonstrated "potential" may be in the form of accumulating the licenses, experience, and track record of performance to get hired by a particular carrier in the first place.

What has changed about the airlines is the business/economics side, not operational issues. Airplanes, airports, weather, geography, ATC, and the demands on pilots are basically the same as they've always been.

It's not valid to say that today's airline industry economic situation ( profitable airline or not too profitable ) has created the need for different breed/experience level of pilot...two separate issues.

As the saying goes: "There's nothing new under the sun."

kingpost
2nd Jul 2006, 05:48
Bafanguy

What has changed about the airlines is the business/economics side, not operational issues. Airplanes, airports, weather, geography, ATC, and the demands on pilots are basically the same as they've always been.

I'm sorry, but you really ahve been out of the game for a while or never worked for a profitable company. Operational issues have changed dramatically - when did you last do a flight through the night, 12 hours rest do another and then be in the sim 12 hours after that one, because you're approaching your 100 hour limit for the month - sorry chap I let me inform you that it has changed.

We're drifting from the thread, I'll let you live in the 'legacy past' - you're very fortunate to have done those week away trips.

bafanguy
2nd Jul 2006, 17:12
Bafanguy

We're drifting from the thread, I'll let you live in the 'legacy past' - you're very fortunate to have done those week away trips.

Okee-dokee. I have only been out for just under three years....and spent 31 years with what was one of the most consistently profitable carriers in the US...until recently.

But as you have more airline experience than I do, I'll defer to you. I appreciate the information.

bafanguy
2nd Jul 2006, 18:25
Bafanguy

. Operational issues have changed dramatically - when did you last do a flight through the night, 12 hours rest do another and then be in the sim 12 hours after that one, because you're approaching your 100 hour limit for the month - sorry chap I let me inform you that it has changed.

And, just as a bit of a P.S., none of those situations described above is anything new. Things like that have been happening as long as airplanes have been operated in commercial service. I've done those things numerous times as has anyone with any experience at all. Perhaps they seem new to you because they're happening to you for the first time.

And you're right, this was thread drift. Pilots with 3-4000 hours and some complex, multi-pilot aircraft experience are perfectly suited to entering EK, or any other airline, as new hires. It is not "...lowering standards...". Airlines have operated successfully all over the world with pilots at that experience level...and much less.

kingpost
3rd Jul 2006, 06:26
As the bafanguy speaks...

So to 3-4000k turbo pop guys, on the advise of our veteran (I do notice how you try and make a point of your 30 years - well done), please apply to EK and give it your best shot. I would love to see good talent from that pool being accepted, the only problem is you'll be up against a 738 captain or a 777 FO for the same seat - may the best man win.

Mark J B
3rd Jul 2006, 18:11
From what I have heard there are not that many 738 captains and 777 FO's beating down the doors at EK anymore! But then, that is just a rumour!:)

bafanguy
3rd Jul 2006, 22:39
As the bafanguy speaks...

(I do notice how you try and make a point of your 30 years - well done), please apply to EK and give it your best shot. captain or a 777 FO for the .

There's nothing extraordinary about 30+ years. I was merely establishing a reference for my point of view.

Here's another reference point: You're 31 years old ? I have uniform neckties older than that.

kingpost
4th Jul 2006, 07:26
Mark J B

I'm not sure about that rumour but if it is true then I'm sure they will start looking at turboprop guys, and bare in mind that they will first look at big time guys on TP and work their way down.

There is nothing wrong with submitting an application, get your name in the stack.

cuberoute
2nd Jun 2007, 16:42
I was told that Emirates Airlines are coming to do a roadshow in Johannesburg this month.

Does anyone here have any information please ?

Thanks.

putt for dough
2nd Jun 2007, 19:21
No idea cuberoute, but I'm sure a simple
google search will bring you the answers you are looking
for.
Good Luck :ok:

skywest29
2nd Jun 2007, 19:36
what up everyone?
I have Ek interview coming up at the end of this month. Can someone help. I would like to know what to read to prep for their tech test. thanks

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jun 2007, 21:00
I'm afraid their obsession with jet time will blind them to the potential recruits out there who have plenty of experience on contract and charter, just not on jets.

typhoonpilot
2nd Jun 2007, 21:56
I would like to know what to read to prep for their tech test. thanks

"Ace the Technical Pilot Interview"

TP

typhoonpilot
2nd Jun 2007, 21:59
I was told that Emirates Airlines are coming to do a roadshow in Johannesburg this month.

Does anyone here have any information please ?

Thanks.

Information Sessions for Experienced Pilots - South Africa

Representatives from Emirates Airline will be coming to conduct information sessions in South Africa (Johannesburg and Capetown)

Details are:

Johannesburg - Hilton Sandton, 138 Rivonia Road Sandton
9th June 10.00am - 1.30pm
05.00pm - 08.30pm

Capetown - Radisson Hotel Waterfront, Beach Road, Granger Bay
10th June 5.00pm -8.30pm

The information sessions will provide more information on Emirates, our selection program, the benefits of living and working in Dubai (including detailed information on our salary package and other associated terms and conditions) and some personal perspectives from a current Emirates pilot. We will also be available to speak to you following the presentation to answer any additional queries you may have about Emirates careers or living in Dubai.

To help us with our planning, please register your interest in attending a particular session by emailing [email protected]. Walk-ins are welcome.

Spouses/partners are also welcome to attend the information sessions.

Please keep checking our website for dates of future information sessions in the US.

We look forward to seeing you there.

TP

sbh684b
3rd Jun 2007, 01:38
Just a clarification on what I have read. Emirates have not parked any aircraft due to the lack of crew. All 106 aircraft of Emirates are currently in servise and flying around the world.

Al Kida
3rd Jun 2007, 03:49
it called "cyber parking", yes the aircraft are in service, but utilisation is significantly reduced. ie just rotating the stock to balance the hours across the fleet. Also maintenance is a little longer than usual etc etc

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2007, 10:50
Time on a complex four engine type heavier than a DC9/B732 doesn't seem to cut any ice with them either.:hmm:

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Jun 2007, 12:45
Quite so, Mr Warlock.:ugh:

boypilot
3rd Jun 2007, 16:29
If the mountain er desert won't come to you then ......

The facts are 4000 TT 2000 med jet

If your personal goal is to fly for EK then do WHATEVER it takes to meet their minimum requirements . Insh'ala you will be called for an interview,you will blow their socks off and depart for your dream life of a shiny B777 in sunny DXB !

When one considers that the average med jet operator in SA requires an average of 900 hrs per annum from each pilot to balance the books ..... you do the maths, a little over two years with such an operator and hey presto

Please bare in mind that thousands of others have reached their goals without being born with 10 000 hrs !

stop waiting for the mountain to come to you - knuckle down and good luck !!!:ok:

Mark J B
9th Jun 2007, 18:10
So who went to the JHB session? Anything interesting?

Al Kida
10th Jun 2007, 06:01
.... and just across the the road, the Cathay Recruitment team were seen to be handing out free pens, t-shirts and sunblock!! :p