PDA

View Full Version : Skywest Increases F100 Services

topend3
22nd Jun 2006, 08:19
The below article was released yesterday...

21June 2006
MEDIA RELEASE

SKYWEST INCREASES JET SERVICES

Skywest Airlines is pleased to announce the launch of new flights and schedules on its Broome and Darwin jet routes.

Commencing 24 July, Skywest will introduce daily return flights between Perth and Broome. Designed to compliment corporate and leisure travellers, Skywest has scheduled all flights to depart for Broome 0600 on weekdays and return to Perth in the afternoons.

Skywest CEO Johanna Ramsay said the introduction of the daily Broome service was a direct reflection of market demand.

“Our current four-days-a-week Broome service has been well supported, and market demand now supports a daily return service, ” Ms Ramsay said.

Further adding to Skywest’s comprehensive network to northern Australia, the airline has rescheduled its return service between Perth and Darwin to depart three mornings per week

“Rescheduling the Darwin fights from afternoons to mornings results in a more conducive schedule that suits the travelling needs of our passengers,” Ms Ramsay said.

Skywest has also confirmed its commitment to continue Port Hedland and Karratha flights that currently operate Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Ms Ramsay said that recent discussions with several key resource bodies had brought positive outcomes, ensuring that the jet services to Port Hedland and Karratha were secure.

Skywest’s Port Hedland to Bali service will also continue.

Skywest will introduce an additional Fokker 100 jet into service to cater to the increased activity. Skywest plans to further increase its fleet, with the purchase of additional Fokker 50 aircraft in the near future.

Johanna Ramsay said that the added capacity would allow Skywest to take on more charter work and urged those organisations requiring corporate travel agreements or charter flights to consider Skywest .

All of Skywest’s Fokker services offer a premium economy class product of hot meals, in-flight bar, Dome café quality coffee and the most spacious economy legroom of any Australian airline.

Continental-520
22nd Jun 2006, 08:53
I must say (to their credit) I have not ever had a bad or even average experience with these guys, on numerous occasions travelling with them. They seem to offer a fantastic product, and especially for the money they ask.

Good to see it's on the expansion curve...

Well done guys!

jack red
22nd Jun 2006, 09:37
That's why the share price just keeps creeping up !:D

AerocatS2A
22nd Jun 2006, 12:51
I've also only had good experiences with them. I just wish they had more Broome - Darwin flights so my company wouldn't have to put me on Air North each time I go.

Led Zep
22nd Jun 2006, 13:16
Never had a bad flight with Skywest!
I hope they continue to do well. :D

Capn Bloggs
22nd Jun 2006, 14:40
Pests! :} :E :)

dodgybrothers
22nd Jun 2006, 15:07
no bloggsy, thats what happens when the rat neglects a market. Your morning service to BME replaced with a half @rsed arvo service via any old port that needs some topping up on the way home. QF have allowed skywest to penetrate the business market which should be sacrosanct to them.

Good luck to the blue rusty bullet hole, they have capitalised on a very large mistake.

Ralph the Bong
22nd Jun 2006, 23:20
The way I read the above it's more like a '5 times a week' service than a daily.

Still, there have been rumours in thge past that this crowd are going to expand into bigger equipment. They employed a whole bunch of very experienced B767 pilots and this added fuel to the industry goss.

Good luck to them. A quality 3 third airline would not be a bad thing, considering the crap service from VB hardly provides serious competition to the Big Red Rat.

Capt Claret
23rd Jun 2006, 00:14
Maybe by the time the youngest CPL holder in Oz is pushing up dasies there'll be a large enough population in Oz to support a true 3rd airline.

I suspect if JetStar wasn't a Qantas off-shoot, it wouldn't have had the success it has. And, don't take this as criticism of J*.

Hawk777
23rd Jun 2006, 01:53
Ralph The Bong,

If you look at the Skywest schedule you will find there are services to Brm over the weekend. Saturdays being direct and Sundays via Exmouth. These together with the 5 midweek services to me indicate a DAILY service.
:)

DutyofCare
23rd Jun 2006, 04:49
Great work Skywest. All in all a good efficient ( in touch ) board, chief pilot, proper aircraft, high moral, friendly service, reliability and great staff support = A BLOODY GREAT OPERATION TO WORK AND FLY FOR!:D :D :D

Capn Bloggs
23rd Jun 2006, 05:08
Hawk 777,
Sundays via Exmouth. These together with the 5 midweek services to me indicate a DAILY service.
You'd better watch out. Dodgy Brothers doesn't like non non-stop services:
a half @rsed arvo service via any old port that needs some topping up on the way home
Why isn't this thread in the GA section? 2 skinny jets (plus one spare) and 5 old fukkers: hardly an airline!:}
Pests! :)

Boston
23rd Jun 2006, 05:52
2 skinny jets (plus one spare) and 5 old fukkers: hardly an airline!

Hmm... does that mean "I Flew for MMA" needs to be retitled "I Flew for MMGA"??
:}

Continental-520
23rd Jun 2006, 08:13
So, what exactly constitutes a 'proper' airline, Capt. Bloggs?

520. :confused:

Capn Bloggs
23rd Jun 2006, 08:23
Bos,

does that mean "I Flew for MMA" needs to be retitled "I Flew for MMGA"??

As you are aware, MMA had far more jets than the Pest (probably will ever have) before being consumed by the Cane Toad. Given that 1 jet is the equiv of 5 boats, then no, I don't think it should have been "MMGA"! :)

That said, I wish the Pests the best (although JR was a bit astray in her bold prediction 3 years ago that there wouldn't be a red Tail Airlink aeroplane in WA by now). I just wish those effing Fukkers would get out of the way! :E

Icarus2001
23rd Jun 2006, 08:45
Well there has certainly been healthy recruitment at Skywest in the last six months. I don't hear of many leaving so I guess expansion is the only other explanation?

Slippery Nipple
23rd Jun 2006, 13:48
Hi all, I wish them all the best. Have used them on the odd occassion and the service was excellent. Associates have also commented on the high level of service compared to others. And despite the small fleet they react very quickly and professionally if ever they have AOG. Have also heard of the fleet expansion (replacement of the F50's) which can only be for the better!

Slip

SkySista
23rd Jun 2006, 14:46
Bloggsie, if I didn't know better I'd say it sounds like you've got a soft spot for the buggers!!! :} :E

Lots of recruitment, and as you'll see over on the GA forum, lots of guys trying their darndest to get in; I hear you usually have to wait for someone to drop off the perch before one can get a gig on the 50!! :p So I guess it is 'expansion' and not attrition that's made all the new bods around the place necessary. :ok:

Perhaps with new a/c someone is planning a bit of a 'takeover' of some of the big FIFO contracts...? With a lot of the big mines thinking about u/g their strips for jet ops... it makes sense... a lot of business to be had from Network, Skippers, NJS et al if one makes the right move.... hmmmm

Capn Bloggs
24th Jun 2006, 02:09
SS,

new a/c

The stark reality is that there is only one aircraft that will do the job in WA, and that ain't any Fokker, Airbus, Boeing or Jungle jet...

AerocatS2A
24th Jun 2006, 02:25
BAE Bloggs?

vee1-rotate
24th Jun 2006, 03:58
good luck to them...have flown with XR multiple times and the service has been brilliant...:ok:

Ralph the Bong
24th Jun 2006, 04:38
Far out, do all you guys work at Skywest or something??:}

But seriously, the ex AN guys who went there say they have been very impressed with the professional level of the company.

Bloggs, what jet would be more suitable than the Fokker? WA airlines (MMA, AN WA and now Skywest) have got great service from the Dutch wheelbarrow since the 1960's.

AirOcean
24th Jun 2006, 05:07
Recruitment isn't over yet either, more pilots required in addition to the 12 + already hired. Some movement with three XR fo's having left for CX and two to Qf plus further upgrades to the jet. New hires have come from all over including several from both E*stern and M*cAir as well as WA operators and even a Ry*nair captain.
Big long service leave debt will probably require even more.
Both ATR and Bombardier have made several visits recently and rumour has it an ATR 72-500 will visit early in July (4th?).
:ok:

topend3
25th Jun 2006, 04:53
that would be a very interesting rumour airocean, i am not sure how they would be able to afford to embark on a fleet replacement programme as on their current revenue's they don't exactly set the world on fire profit-wise. perhaps more a hopeful visit from ATR to display their wares. More F50's are apparently on the way...

cunninglinguist
25th Jun 2006, 15:23
" half @rsed service via any old port " ?
...that would be as opposed to all the Skypest direct flights :oh:

" employed a bunch of very experienced 767 pilots "
.....I hope the load factor of 60% for last FY ( XR figures not mine ) improve before they launch the first " bigger equipment " service :=

Bloggsy, don't worry, can't you just let them pass underneath you in peace ;)

SkySista
25th Jun 2006, 15:52
Have also heard ATR mentioned.... just a rumour at this point though.

Bloggs, I should have said 'more' rather than 'new' :E

Still, the Fokkers seem to have worked so far... if it ain't broke don't fix it I think the saying goes...

So, what would your pick be for the 'best' a/c to run these routes? Surely not the turbocharged hairdryer? ;) :}

topend3
25th Jun 2006, 22:57
interesting question, but i do know one thing, whatever the dude is on that made the 767 comment i want some...i mean come on, get real!!

greybeard
26th Jun 2006, 15:05
To add to the rumours Skywest are

still recruiting, 4 started this week

still looking for another F-50

still keeping 3rd F-100, not fully crewed up at this time

ATR due for a "show and tell" 4/7

a number of the crews have 767/747/A-310 time, 2 have a lot of heavy jet command

some have and some will be going to what they consider better places, Cathay etc

cheers

:ok: :ok:

topend3
27th Jun 2006, 02:16
because they have widebody time does not mean skywest are running out to start ops with these types does it? more a sign of the industry at present perhaps...still good luck to them...i hope they do well...and i thought they had found their next F50 in Malaysia? Seems to be taking a long time getting here...

DonC
27th Jun 2006, 23:44
I was a great fan of Skywest until the other day when we sat on the apron at Darwin for an hour with out A/C running waiting for late pax.
What is company policy on this?

SkySista
28th Jun 2006, 02:55
Don,

I'd be interested to know whether it was actually the late pax, or prepping to find/offload bag that caused the delay... a late pax usually doesn't cause THAT much delay, possibly more than meets the eye here??

Any XR peeps care to comment? What exactly is the policy on late pax (i.e., x amount of calls, "not here, right, lets grab his bag and chuck him off" :} like most airlines?? Or was this guy possibly connecting from somewhere else/really really important??

It sounds as it wasn't so much the delay you were annoyed by Don, but the way it was handled... am I right?

Having said that, ALL airlines no matter how good most people think they are have delays, and I'm sure Skywest like anyone has had (and will have) their fair share of doozies!

topend3
28th Jun 2006, 09:15
you will find that it would be rare for airlines to hold planes for late pax, unless it is a critical connection. with FTB pax, it's always find the bag ASAP and offload, but quite often the pax turns up before bag located, so then it's often quicker to put them on and get rid of the flight...

Gyro drifter
29th Jun 2006, 02:43
XR are just like any other airline, where they will not wait for late pax. In the end it is operations call when to close flight and it will usually be on time.

As to the ATR rumour i also have it on good authority that XR have already began the research procedures into new craft. Their fokkers are going U/S nearly every week with the pax copping lengthy delays. Yesterday a 50 went U/S. A couple of weeks ago a 100 went U/S in Bali on charter. Was up there for 2 nights with an empty 100 sent up there with some crew on a rescue mission. And only a week or 2 ago a 50 returned shortly after takeoff due to technical problems.

I mean aircraft are machines and they do break. But i think Skywest have had enough of the stress and problems associated with break downs. I think that new ATRs might be becoming a more and more attractive option to XR.

Gyro

SkySista
29th Jun 2006, 03:00
Topend... that was sort of my point.... Don was upset about the delay and I was trying (not very successfully I guess! :}) to say that it more than likely was some other reason for the lengthy delay, not actually waiting for the late pax...

Wrt to the 50's going u/s... how 'lengthy' are the delays you're talking about...? Just curious... and as for the ATRs... I'm no expert but XR don't seem like a company to hang onto and flog a/c simply because they're there and they have them and they're cheaper than buying new... like some companies....! :E

F/O Bloggs
29th Jun 2006, 11:12
I have heard a rumour that Skywest Will NOT be going to Mount Keith/Leinster.
:oh:

topend3
29th Jun 2006, 23:26
the big question would be how they could afford a fleet replacement??? They aren't exactly making big profits when you look at what revenue they generate. But, good luck to them, i would love to see them with new gear.

As for the delays SkySista, I know for a fact that there it is almost a daily occurrence for something (either 50 or 100 to go u/s) and a mad rush happens to change the schedule around, crews etc. I feel sorry for those guys in ops!!!

Bloggsy, I don't get what Mount Keith/Leinster has to do with this, is this a contract coming up???

apacau
30th Jun 2006, 01:04
About a year ago there were rumours of XR of heading further east or at least central... Have these plans progressed?

F/O Bloggs
30th Jun 2006, 05:14
TE3,

Affirm. Qantas is ceasing operating the Quadrapuff. Tenders out for MNE,LST.