PDA

View Full Version : Direct Air instrument rating.

ct2k
22nd Jun 2006, 03:20
Had a chat to direct air, and for about 20k you get an instrument rating plus ICUS on a 210 + 310, and they said you are almost guaranteed work after. I thought paying 8 grand more than a more conventional instrument rating was slightly excessive for 60 hours ICUS. But it could be worth it if you can get work after. Has anyone done this program? Any feedback would be great, especially on the quality of the rating and any employment afterwards. Cheers

Continental-520
22nd Jun 2006, 04:48
I'm not entirely sure about the price, cause I haven't undertaken nor have I investigated the program, but those that I know of who have been through it have done very well for themselves indeed. All the ones I can think of are now in full time multi engine command jobs flying decent equipment and could easily hope to progress straight to regionals or further once their 'time is done'.

Good luck!

Taggert
22nd Jun 2006, 05:04
Let's not even go there with the whole paying for the privelage deal.:=

George_of_the_Bungle
22nd Jun 2006, 07:01
ct2k,

what are the minimum requirements for DirectAir? couldn't seem to find it on their website? Haven't heard of anyone that has done their Instrument rating but 20K sounds damn steep for what you get. If offered employment, do you start on the 310? :hmm:

ct2k
22nd Jun 2006, 08:12
i dunno the minimums, nor do i know if you start on the 310. Thats why i wanted to hear from some of the past students/present employees what the situation is. The extra cost is 30 hours ICUS on a 210 and "30 hours ICUS with 15 hours in PA31/C402 and 15 hours in B58/C310" according to their brochure

MaryG
22nd Jun 2006, 09:04
sound like a rip off to me, it isn't as hard to get that first job in the industry these days and these schemes should be less and less popular. I know a lot of people who did the ICUS on chieftans at Johnstons when it was going and not many really benefited. But hey, if you can afford it!

Continental-520
22nd Jun 2006, 10:47
it isn't as hard to get that first job in the industry these days

...And which perfect world are you living in, Squire? Cause I want to live there too.

At this point I'll reiterate that those who went that way have gotten themselves into paid twin command time (as in, the pilots are being paid for it, not the other way around) a lot quicker than anyone else I've heard of.

ampk
22nd Jun 2006, 14:13
You can just check there credit around OZ. O please tell me how many aircraft do they own. checking CASA not even a handful less some fingers.

Kransky
22nd Jun 2006, 15:11
Had a chat to direct air, and for about 20k you get an instrument rating plus ICUS on a 210 + 310, and they said you are almost guaranteed work after. I thought paying 8 grand more than a more conventional instrument rating was slightly excessive for 60 hours ICUS. But it could be worth it if you can get work after. Has anyone done this program? Any feedback would be great, especially on the quality of the rating and any employment afterwards. Cheers

Mate, you probably don't want to hear this but I wouldn't feel right if I didnt say something.

"Almost guaranteed work after?" You really have to think about what you just said.

Professional pilots think about what might go wrong not just what might happen if everything goes right.

Eight grand buys you a five to ten year old Falcon wagon, a swag, and plenty of time to go get a job. If you want to speed things up, go overseas, maybe Africa, Europe if you have the paperwork. What you propose is just plain bad judgement.

But its your money.

(You know, I feel like making a list of ppruners that think its ok to pay for icus, pay for jobs, etc. Most ppruners give themselves away sooner or later, you work out who they are. This is a global industry but its a small industry. Then I'd make damned sure that I didn't have any of them sitting next to me stinking up the atmosphere of my workplace. It takes one phone call to head office, or one comment over a beer at a barbecue to sink five to ten years of effort. You want a job like mine, six figure salary, one apu, two bigass bunsen burners so far back you can't hear them, five tarts serving you hot coffee at the press of a button? Yeah? Then do it the right way. Get an instrument rating that gives you some IFR skills, not a promise of a job. And don't sh!t in your nest, if you want a career that gives you respect and appropriately rewards for your efforts first of all make an effort and act with integrity.)

Rant over. Spend your money however you like. I'll still be whinging about cold coffee and underperforming shares at FL350, what would I care?

Led Zep
22nd Jun 2006, 15:44
Alternatively, $20K will get you half a Jet* endorsement. :E
I'd pay the $10k-$15k it may take for an MECIR and pocket the change. (From the $20k, that is. :\)
Keep as much of your money as you can, it is so much better in your bank than someone else's. If you really want twin time go and pay $1200 for a 2 hour C310 endorsement and then spend the $8k odd you have left getting some command time in it should you feel the need. Much better than ICUS. Especially ICUS in a C210...wtf? :ugh:

MaryG
23rd Jun 2006, 00:36
[quote=Continental-520]...And which perfect world are you living in, Squire? Cause I want to live there too.
quote]
you know exactly what i'm saying 520, waiting lists and hold files are very short these days with fewer cpl's coming out of the flying schools - check the CASA website for proof. Even the AFAP website is often asking for first jobbers, now i know that didn't happen in your time, nor mine.

Thanks for the Squire connotation though, very cute

captwawa
23rd Jun 2006, 03:42
So 12k gets you a Baron/310 endorsement, plus PA-31, plus 60 hours Icus of which 30 is in a C210. So the pilot is roughly subsidising $200 an hour of flight time for the customer!! Seems a bit rich to me. Would love to know the how many have completed the course and haven’t scored a job.

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 04:45
five tarts serving you hot coffee at the press of a button? Yeah? Then do it the right way.

:hmm: With chutzpah like that I'd check the contents of my coffee cup from time to time young fella.

Continental-520
23rd Jun 2006, 07:58
you know exactly what i'm saying 520, waiting lists and hold files are very short these days with fewer cpl's coming out of the flying schools - check the CASA website for proof. Even the AFAP website is often asking for first jobbers, now i know that didn't happen in your time, nor mine.

I can't say it was easy to get my first job. Definitely one of the steeper challenges I've ever faced, actually. Mainly the learning curve involved in discovering the politics that this industry (and others) is(/are) plagued by.

From what I hear though, there are more CPL's than ever being 'manufactured' by the schools, and I'm 100% guilty of being one of them. And that was only 4 or so years ago.

You really reckon it's easier now??

Thanks for the Squire connotation though, very cute

No sarcasm intended.

520. :)

Towering Q
24th Jun 2006, 14:18
I'll still be whinging about cold coffee and underperforming shares at FL350

You'd be a fun guy to spend 8 hours on the flight deck with.:yuk:

Continental-520
25th Jun 2006, 10:38
That's precisely what I was thinking, Towering Q.

520.:D