PDA

View Full Version : what do helicopter pilots dream about?

7balja01
22nd Jun 2006, 03:04
obviously there are some things one wouldn't mention, but what do helicopter pilots dream/have nightmares about?

the period between when you fall asleep and when you wake up is one of those very few things in this world tha man has very little knowledge about. scientists can only come up with theories, and the theories of "sleep physicians", psychiatrists, neuroscientists (and the list goes on) -they all differ!

so, what goes on in your heads at night?:E

7balja01
22nd Jun 2006, 03:14
vietnam veterens....

:ooh:

212man
22nd Jun 2006, 03:15
Hot P**** and cold B***, or words to that effect!:)

Rotorchick
22nd Jun 2006, 03:59
I had a dream a few weeks ago that I stole an old huey with boxes of unmarked US Bills in the back, the frustrating part was I had to dump some of them to make up for fuel requirements to get me to that tropical island....:E

turnarounds
22nd Jun 2006, 04:02
WINGS ...........

Hughesy
22nd Jun 2006, 04:17
Flying low level along a road, (one going to my mum's where I grew up) and the sky is clear. But every time I try to climb up to a safe height all of a sudden heaps of wires appear so I have to drop to road level again but the the wires dissapear so I try again to gain height but the wires reappear!!
It is really quite stressful, wakes me up after a while.
Hughesy

7balja01
22nd Jun 2006, 04:35
i often dream about helicopters and sometimes even find myself flying them.....usually in some kind of terrible combat situation where it usually ends as a pile of scrap metal.

maybe i was a pilot in my previous life? not that i believe in reincarnation??:)

BTW the subject of this forum is what you've actually been doing more than any other activity (and will always be) in your entire life. in the last week you spent 60- 90 hours dreaming........wierd. (unless of course your a trucky working in oz)

im trying to remember what happened last night............. .... ... . .. .:ugh:

ball.

thecontroller
22nd Jun 2006, 04:41
in 4 years of flying, i've never dreamt about flying once.

while i am awake i daydream about more money, more hours, and bigger helicopters.

7balja01
22nd Jun 2006, 04:50
i think i killed someone lastnight, some kind of doctor who style police investigation.

and as for thecontroller?

more money, more hours, bigger helicopters? all i can say is DA JE VU

ball.

Hilico
22nd Jun 2006, 07:21
Ones where I never get to fly, no matter how close I get.

Walkround a 206, sit in, strap in, and the grip on the cyclic is a banana. Or there is no start button on the collective. Or there is a button, but no battery. Or wait for passengers to make the trip economically viable but they never arrive.

starflex3
22nd Jun 2006, 07:23
I dream of getting paid enough to live comfortably.

Teefor Gage
22nd Jun 2006, 07:28
Flying over an almost deserted beach, seeing a gorgeous woman sunbathing and landing my chopper ..............

gulliBell
22nd Jun 2006, 10:23
I dream about not having to be a helicopter pilot any more:ok:

Flying Bull
22nd Jun 2006, 11:02
Hi folks,
when not dreaming about some georgeous females ;-)
I dream of my own little helicopter, which isnīt reality yet.
Unfortunately I have to win the lottery first, because I donīt wantīt one of helicopters, which are on the market now, I want my own one, which incorporates all the good things, I have experienced in my flying time so far.
So lots of money, development and testing would be required to have a powerfull, fully aerobatic helicopter.
Itīs about time to start with the drawings, which go through my head while dreaming - may be, I win the lottery ;-)

Greetings Flying Bull

Pandalet
22nd Jun 2006, 13:58
Completely unoriginal, but...

...I (day)dream of being able to afford my own Gazelle.

I also have dreams about giant carrots or dreams in assembler (after too much work), but they're not terribly relevant ;)

remote hook
22nd Jun 2006, 15:11
I dream about making what I do being away all the time... at HOME.

RH

VTA
22nd Jun 2006, 15:26
It's usually the rigs workers screaming in the back that wakes me up...Until then the dreams are sweet ;)

MrEdd
22nd Jun 2006, 16:26
I dream about not having to be a helicopter pilot any more:ok:

Sounds more lite a nightmare to me.:eek:
There is peopel to talk to about this he he he:ok:

soggyboxers
22nd Jun 2006, 19:27
I dream about being a helicopter pilot and have nightmares about not being one! But seriously, like most of us I dream about the 3 Ps: Pizza, P*ss and P^ssy :E

crispy69
22nd Jun 2006, 20:12
I have a habit in my dreams of sleep talking. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of it sometimes I do not.

The other night my other half woke up to me shaking her saying pull the nose up pull the nose up.... Now this isnt anything to new to her but i kept persisting. Then I started saying "how do we keep level??? The nose you need to make sure you keep it up!"
Around this time I woke up ( sort of ) as I can remember here on in but I was still in my dream. Even though awake I thought I was in a 747 cockpit ( Really odd as I am Helo only)
I kept saying "how do we keep level?" She replyed "by using the ground.."
Much to her amumsment I replied "F#$%ing look around you we are in a bloody cockpit now keep the damn nose up." I do remember her trying to tell me we were in bed but for the life of me I still thought I was in a cockpit, I kept talking to her about keeping the nose up then gave in starting to feel really tired. Funny thing is in my dream I thought to hell with it I will just go to sleep the attitude doesnt matter anyway the auto pilot will take care of it!!!

We had a good laugh about it in the morning.:zzz:

Im sure Sigmund would have alot to say about that

Gomer Pylot
22nd Jun 2006, 20:57
I think we dream about whatever is lying around in our brains, just like anyone else. The flying dreams I have are mostly about wires and hot starts. I have had dreams of flying helicopters, and of flying alone, like a bird. These usually involve wires I have to dodge, for some reason. I've also had many dreams about having hot starts, although I've never had a real one, in 35+ years, nor have I ever hit a wire. Perhaps fear can be a healthy thing. :ooh:
Im sure Sigfried would have alot to say about that
Siegfried, or Roy? :D :p :8

crispy69
22nd Jun 2006, 21:58
Whoops got sigmund and sigfreid mixed up!!

:\

7balja01
22nd Jun 2006, 23:13
yous are all okay,

last night i was being over welmed by SS NAZI soldiers covered in rotten flesh and coming out of the ground. the last thing i remember was this rotten little red gremlin thing with horns approaching me. meanwhile my mens corpses were being dragged down the holes that the SS had crawled out of.

hilico,

ive had a lot of those "walking around a 206 type dreams"

ball

jetflite
23rd Jun 2006, 02:11
i normally have more than one dream in a night....few of which make sense when i wake...most are tied together in some twisted way.....but through out the dream it all makes sense and works...but when you wake up...it all seems really wierd that situations can change half way through...colours, ppl etc. .
then the alarm goes off... most of then time i some how incorporate the alarm noise into the dream.....

N Arslow
23rd Jun 2006, 07:13
Sadly just once - but Halle Berry. Wow!

Lunar
23rd Jun 2006, 10:34
Hey all,

Just want to say I love this website, the guy poses an interesting question but is clearly an insane 15 year old who reads old war novels and probably destroys his eyesight thinking of them later on. Just read his posts. And what do we do, ignore him and post interesting replies! Go on ye ppruners!

Having said that, I have been flying for 8 years and the only flying dreams I have are ones where I have rolled the A/c or had a blade strike. The good flying dreams are the ones where I can fly without the heli, head into the wind, run, jump and fly. Love those dreams!

Lunar

jab
23rd Jun 2006, 14:30
Please PM me if you have had this dream, too many pilots I know have had it and I want to find out why and how we can have the same dreams.

I have only had it once but the dream was that I was flying very low over a road, between tall trees and there were literally hundreds of wires crossing the road above me at right angles. Every time I would try pull up between them, another set would appear and I would be forced back down again. Seemed to carry on forever.

Thanks.

SASless
23rd Jun 2006, 14:36
Wildest dream.....that would be fair Whirls wearing a pink TuTu, gold lame' Go-Go boots and Bee Hive hairdo....all the while plunking on her Banjo and singing Mary's Wedding.

Usually happens after one two many Anchovie Sandwichs and a few cans of green Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.;)

500e
23rd Jun 2006, 15:40
now me, I Dreeeeam !! ah well another day another dream

topendtorque
24th Jun 2006, 00:26
jab
wires above appearing, yep! been there done that heaps of times, why? maybe an expression of trying to free oneself from the smalltown cloisters that sooo many of us started at.

the big fall also, but waking before arrival every time, whether that's a prediction who knows, so keep challenging it is best i guess.

fly like a bird! yep also heaps of times and probably refined the technical techniques in more detail than any of Dave Jackson's neo-futuristic designs.

My son tried it in real time once at about age 4, first his mum heard was a dull thud, fled to the scene, gathered what looked like a lifeless soul in her arms and panic ran to the nearest medic. nearly there some signs of life appeared, she gasps "what...did....you....do...that...for?"
the reply, 'I....just...wanted...to... fly....like ....a....bird!'

of course when dad arrived home wild and woolly from a few days out bush of beating the air into submission he was regaled straightaway with the story.
To the great delight of said son's siblings but not at all to that of his mother he rejoined with, "you wanna flap harder next time son"

Said son now beats the 'air into submission' with a fair style, if i do say so myself.

EBCAU
24th Jun 2006, 02:51
I used to think the dream of being trapped under wires was something to do with being an ag pilot - I know other ag pilots have this dream.
I wonder if those that have it acquired it from extended low level operations, or is it general to pilots across the board?
Any comments?

jab
24th Jun 2006, 13:36
Thanks to those that replied about the wires.

I had this dream about six months after I started flying and two of my fellow students had the same dream that same night. Sounds unbelievable and too weird to be true but it happened. I cannot remember if we had heard something about wires the previous day or not but all three dreams were strikingly similar.

None of us had done much low-level stuff at that stage and we all had very different backgrounds, so the "escaping from small town" syndrome does not fly in our case.

I am sure there is a shrink out there who could shed light on this, anyone else have anything to add?

Jab

MBJ
24th Jun 2006, 14:02
WIRES!! Lots of them criss-crossing the sky and you never have enough lever to get over them! Its not a frequent dream but its been around as long as I can remember.

Oddly enough there was a Belgian pilot in Schreiners, John Gerrard, who had exactly the same dream. I think he borrowed it when I wasn't having it!

SASless
24th Jun 2006, 14:25
Seems a common thread here....I have two versions of wire dreams...one of high tension lines running up a hill and the other at street level trying to find a way up and out. :confused:

The one real nightmare of popping over a hill in the wilds of Alaska to encounter probably what is the only set of wires in 5,000 square miles was when I was wide awake and flying. (Well flying anyway....!):uhoh:

Simon853
24th Jun 2006, 14:53
Dreams are amazing things. I have a couple of books on dream analysis, (pschological interpretations, not prediction nonsense). However, they're only really useful to the person having the dream as a lot of self-analysis is required to find the underlying theme.

What I'd suggest *may* be the theme of the endless road with over-hanging wires is a subconscious sense of not having completed or escaped from a journey or transition. i.e. a new pilot with enormous debts might have this, or someone flying for fun unable to find a flying job to lift him out of it, etc. Or maybe someone who simply yearns to progress and is feeling stifled. It is I think about a sense of entrapment.

The job I had when I started training involved me driving 50 miles each way to work each day on the motorway. One night I had a dream that I was hover-taxiing to work, stop and starting all the time, stuck amongst the earth-bound traffic on the motorway, in a helicopter. Not only that but my boss was in the back!! I understood that to be insecurity that developing this new skill may not lead me anywhere different, worried that I could spend a fortune learning to fly and still end up driving to the same job. As it turned out that's pretty much how it worked out when I had to quit the flying training due to health. (So perhaps this prediction stuff isn't all nonsense afterall, or maybe there was some part of my subconscious that knew I was ill before my doctors did?)

Si

MightyGem
24th Jun 2006, 17:24
The good flying dreams are the ones where I can fly without the heli, head into the wind, run, jump and fly. Love those dreams!

And I wondered if it was only me!:O

Also the ones where for some weird reason the aircraft falls over, or bumps into something, or I'm suddenly surrounded by trees and trying to get through the branches without hitting anything.

eagle 86
25th Jun 2006, 03:29
Wires - yes sometimes down a narrow street - occasionally an open paddock.
GAGS
E86

22clipper
25th Jun 2006, 04:26
Drove into the city for a show with the wife on the weekend & stayed the night at a flash hotel. The big dinner, the King size bed & the general change in routine had me dreaming more than I usually do. In my dream I awoke in the morning to find the missus gone. I checked the bathroom, no better half there, then decided she must have gone for a paper. So I dressed & caught the lift to the buffet breakfast expecting to find her there. To cut a stupid dream short the hotel was deserted as where the streets outside.

The dream was becoming more of a nightmare. In the inescapable logic of my subconscious I did the only plausible thing, I retrieved my car from the underground carpark, drove home, dragged out the R22, flew it back to the city & spent ages prowling the concrete canyons looking for signs of life. Last thing I remember, before waking up for real, was finding my way to the airport to get more avgas for my quest.

When I related the dream to my wife the psychologist, her reply was textbook Freudian, "Told you to lay off the dessert before bedtime didn't I"!

jon s gull
25th Jun 2006, 06:07
Ive had the wire dream a few times. Sometimes on a recognised road, I reckon its about being trapped by a poor decision. Like deciding to fly under the wire in the first place without a proper recce.

flying bizzie
25th Jun 2006, 11:55
And I wondered if it was only me!:O

Also the ones where for some weird reason the aircraft falls over, or bumps into something, or I'm suddenly surrounded by trees and trying to get through the branches without hitting anything.

MG. Promise me you'll never approach the field from over the woods any more:p For your sake and mine, here's hoping your dreams never come true:sad:

Heli Jock
25th Jun 2006, 13:44
I had a dream about 3 wks ago that my Instructor and I were practicing autorotations and didn't recover in time and stacked into the ground. I woke up having forgotten the dream and went to the airport to preflight only to remember the dream just as I was walking out to the ramp. I thought nothing of it and carried out the preflight as usual. My instructor and I got in to the heli and I carried out the freedom of movement checks only to find that the collective was really stiff to the point where I had to really pull it really hard to initially raise it. I decided to call the flight off as the whole reason we were going up was to fine tune my autos and a stiff collective was not going to help.

I also found out later that someone else had gone to fly the same bird and reported high fuel pressure. I can't help thinking that if I had gone up and done a few autos that maybe I might have come unstuck!

Maybe it was coincidence but I like to think of it as some sort of premonition and somone watching out for me :ok:

Jock :8

Flingwing207
25th Jun 2006, 14:54
...so I'm slightly drunk, and think it's a good idea to hop into the Astar we just added to the fleet (this is a dream, after all). Never flown one, but I know how to read a checklist and start a turbine, so away I go. When the engine lights off, the TOT (being shown on a gauge roughly the size and style of the depth gauge in a WWII sub) rises so fast I can only watch it fly into the red then back out.

Now I'm sitting in a running helicopter trying to decide what I should do. I really want to fly it, I know I'm in trouble because there's no way I can NOT report the overtemp but I also know that when I do it's probably the end of my professional career.

Then I woke up. :bored:

Vertolot
25th Jun 2006, 18:34
212man,

There might be some Hot P**** and Cold B*** in Miri...:p

crispy69
25th Jun 2006, 20:12
Helijock

You just never know maybe there was something in that dream.

I am not into any of that hippy mumbo jumbo but I do believe sometimes there is more than just a dream at stake.

I had a series of dreams were over one week involving crashes. In total there were three one involved myself and two involved people I knew. All were serious enough.

At the end of the week someone I knew had a crash that completly wrote of the helicopter. Lucky for the two I knew in it they got off with only minor injury's.

None of the dreams involved the people that were in the crash but im not sure that is how it works.

Might have just been coinsidence but I very rearly dream of crashes.

Sufice to say when ever I now have a dream about a crash I get a little freaked out.

Crispy

jetflite
26th Jun 2006, 01:31
dream facts & tidbits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. One third of our lives is spent sleeping.

2. In your lifetime, you would've spent about 6 years of it dreaming. That is more than 2,100 days spent in a different world.

3. Dreams have been here as long as mankind. Back in the Roman Era, striking and significant dreams were submitted to the Senate for analysis and interpretation.

4. Everybody dreams. EVERYBODY! Simply because you do not remember your dream does not mean that you did not dream.

5. Dreams are indispensable. A lack of dream activity can mean protein deficiency or a personality disorder.

6. We dream on average of one or two hours every night. And we often even have 4-7 dreams in one night.

7. Blind people do dream. Whether visual images will appear in their dream depends on whether they where blind at birth or became blind later in life. But vision is not the only sense that constitutes a dream. Sounds, tactility, and smell become hypersensitive for the blind and their dreams are based on these senses.

8. Five minutes after the end of the dream, half the content is forgotten. After ten minutes, 90% is lost.

9. The word dream stems from the Middle English word, dreme which means "joy" and "music".

10. Men tend to dream more about other men, while women dream equally about men and women.

11. Studies have shown that our brain waves are more active when we are dreaming than when we are awake.

12. Dreamers who are awakened right after REM sleep, are able to recall their dreams more vividly than those who slept through the night until morning.

13. Physiologically speaking, researchers found that during dreaming REM sleep, males experience erections and females experience increased vaginal blood flow - no matter what the content of the dream. In fact, "wet dreams" may not necessarily coincide with overtly sexual dream content.

14. People who are giving up smoking have longer and more intense dreams.

15. Toddlers do not dream about themselves. They do not appear in their own dreams until the age of 3 or 4.

16. If you are snoring, then you cannot be dreaming.

17. Nightmares are common in children, typically beginning at around age 3 and occurring up to age 7-8.

18. In a poll, 67% of Americans have experienced Deja Vu in their dreams, occurring more often in females than males.

*** number 16 seems to contradict number 3 ? ? what about people who are serial snorers. . .? ?

7balja01
26th Jun 2006, 04:59
lunar,
You think im crazy?:hmm:
maybe you should go and do a 4 year modern history course, and we'll see whos crazy then. then go and read my posts.
im not fifteen...im sixteen:}
ball.;)

7balja01
26th Jun 2006, 05:03
BTW has anyone had this dream?
your flying along, instructing someone how to fly, but they cant keep the control column straight, they go nose in, you tell them to pull it back, they pull back, but dont neutralize, so now they go backwards, you then tell them to nose in, but they push to far and you dive forward, and this keeps repeating over and over....

jetflite
26th Jun 2006, 07:27
4 year modern history ? ? at 16 ? ?so you started at 12 ? ? :ugh:

P.S: i didn't realise helicopters have control columns:eek:

R22DRIVER
26th Jun 2006, 08:11
When i sleep all i dream about is being that seat!!!
http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/GardunoPP2.jpg

topendtorque
26th Jun 2006, 22:40
R22Driver
i'd be careful, a lithe, looong swinging leg equipped with a large platform boot! not to mention the target fixation expression.

but it's the classic photo, admit it you guys who got to see the other rear seat (no puns) pax, who by the way is way ahead of all your dreams!

Hiro Protagonist
27th Jun 2006, 03:22
BTW has anyone had this dream?
your flying along, instructing someone how to fly, but they cant keep the control column straight, they go nose in, you tell them to pull it back, they pull back, but dont neutralize, so now they go backwards, you then tell them to nose in, but they push to far and you dive forward, and this keeps repeating over and over....

that's not a dream, that's just instructing ('cept we call it a cyclic).

7balja01
27th Jun 2006, 06:11
well, you do use it to control, and it is a column, but your right it is a cyclic too....there, there its alright, i didn't offend anyone did i?

no, i didn't start at twelve. thirteen mate. they make sure to cram in all the french revolution s**t, mao zedong, adolf hitler, plenty about capitalism, liberalism, nazism, communism, and a hole lot more about the vietnam war,blah, blah, blah, blar......

ANYWAY,whats the big bulging mass between that chicks thighs?:suspect:

The Nr Fairy
27th Jun 2006, 06:28
7 thingy:

It's an over-wrought schoolboy's imagination.

jetflite
27th Jun 2006, 06:45
bulging mass between her thighs....haha...you are 16!!!!!:D

7balja01
27th Jun 2006, 06:49
haha!

16 eh?:E

helopat
22nd Jul 2006, 10:51
what do helicopter pilots dream/have nightmares about?

Funny thing...or maybe not so funny...I have dreams about (military) pilots I've trained and how they're f-ing up and its my fault.