PDA

View Full Version : Who has the coolest PRUNE name

grenade
21st Jun 2006, 21:23
An open discussion.
What does a PRUNE name say about a person, a log book and what they fly. Which is your favourite and you can even nominate yourself if you have to. Names seem to come from many catagories, from the obviously descriptive that says, I am cool, I dont need a cool name, the technically cool turbine engine part name and the cryptic rubics cube obsessive types. Why dont i get us started.
Wocker you must fly hueys.
Wunper has spent far to much time track and balancing to be anything but a bell pilot.
Screwed How did you put the little trade mark symbol on your name. This indicates far to much computer literacy to be flying more than 300 hours a year.
Canadian Rotorhead would be one those old legend CHC types. I bet he is in single digits on the senority list and only comes to work for cool jobs. Co-joes gather around him in the cafeteria begging for war stories.
Sasless I realise that I am messing with prune royalty here. Is this a statement about stability or personality.
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
who's next

SASless
21st Jun 2006, 22:07
Grenade,

In response to your question.....either or both would be correct according to whom you ask.

The long story...Aramco ordered some very nice Bell 412's complete with Sperry Kit and Air Conditioning. They were very nice aircraft as evidenced by the two they actually bought.

Some very enlightened decision making by some in management at that time (and apparantly old time PHI survivors from Arabian Helicopters) resulted in the order for the 412's being cancelled and 212's being ordered. They paid extra to make the change and decided in a real bit of genius to do away with the Sperry Kit and elected to have unstabilized aircraft vice fully kitted out IFR machines. (without Air Conditioning either).

When line pilots suggested flying an unstabilized 212 sixty five miles offshore at night in hazy weather was not a cool thing to do....the then Chief Pilot stated clearly that it was not a problem because it was VFR flying and thus an IFR machine was not required.

As any idiot knows....offshore at night without surface light reference....is not visual flying no matter what the law says or the Boss thinks.

I was so impressed by that kind of management thinking that I chose "Sasless" for a room name.

My inability to calmly deal with people of that lack of commonsense probably allowed me to use a similar rationale for the same name thus it fit the bill on multiple levels.

212man
21st Jun 2006, 22:09
"Sasless I realise that I am messing with prune royalty"

Are you calling SASless a Queen????;)

Off ya Rotor
22nd Jun 2006, 00:05
Off ya Rotor is a great name. Can be interpreted in so many ways!!:ok:

gulliBell
22nd Jun 2006, 00:45
Hey Sasless, you failed to finish the story, had you done so the ARAMCO decision would make perfect sense. The Tanajib B212's which started life as B412's are mostly flown by expats, so of course you'd take out the IFR kit and aircon. The RT B214's are mostly flown by Saudi's, so of course you'd leave the IFR kit and aircon IN.

That's just the way things work over there!

oscar bravo
22nd Jun 2006, 05:02
I've always thought "headsethair" was a good one. Very universal, could be suitable in just about any of the PPRune forums, and one we can almost all relate to.

BTW, mine is derived from a penalty stroke in Golf (since I play on occasion) "Out of Bounds".

psyclic
22nd Jun 2006, 05:41
hello .

airborne_artist
22nd Jun 2006, 07:42
In an earlier life I flew RW for Aunty Betty, but it was so long ago that my grasp on things rotary has slipped slightly, so I tend to lurk more than post. Later I joined another part of Betty's workforce, the type that fall out of aircraft rather than attempting to control them. The unit had its origins in a Victorian Militia that comprised artists, hence Airborne Artist.

What Limits
22nd Jun 2006, 09:39
Is that sometimes known as the Artist's Rifles?

airborne_artist
22nd Jun 2006, 10:35
Yep, that's the one. If you can't shoot your enemy, why not just paint them into oblivion :E

Whirlygig
22nd Jun 2006, 10:48
When I first joined Pprune and before I had started flying, I thought Thomas Coupling was his real name! I am still looking out for aircraft bits called The Nick Lappos and The Shawn Coyle just in case I make another faux pas.

A blast from the past – Vortex What …Ouch” is a good name and I like the names that are puns on something else like ShyTorque or Anne Tenner.

But, my all-time favourite, and I must have giggled for seconds when I got it, is Art E. Fischler-Reisen!

Cheers

Whirls

Good Man In Africa
22nd Jun 2006, 11:14
Because I am !! :ok:

At least I try to be.............

huey
22nd Jun 2006, 13:02
Because I could!!!!!!!!!!:}

ToTall
22nd Jun 2006, 13:08
Because I am 2 m. and nearly dont fit any heli :}

Pandalet
22nd Jun 2006, 14:04
Wait, Thomas Coupling isn't his real name?!?

ToTall: I think you may be missing an 'o' there?

I quite like 'FlingWing', even though the term appears to have been around for a while.

B Sousa
22nd Jun 2006, 14:09
My Folks gave me this name. Sort of stuck with it and dont need to hide behind my sometimes idiotic postings......(Im not asking for agreement either)
Was going to use the name my ex-wife gave me, but the PPrune folks would not let me use a55hole.

Bladestrike
22nd Jun 2006, 14:47
An open discussion.
Canadian Rotorhead would be one those old legend CHC types. I bet he is in single digits on the senority list and only comes to work for cool jobs. Co-joes gather around him in the cafeteria begging for war stories.
Sasless I realise that I am messing with prune royalty here. Is this a statement about stability or personality.
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
who's next

Canadian Rotorhead certainly belongs in the legend category, and I've sat around many a cafeteria, airport lounge, hangar, cockpits and bars swapping war stories with him. Most definetely a treat!

ioanj
22nd Jun 2006, 18:31
Because I am 2 m. and nearly dont fit any heli :}

wasn't TooTall in a Mel Gibson film flying hueys in Vietnam? Cant for the life of me think of the name of the film. Was for the same reason though from what i remember!

soggyboxers
22nd Jun 2006, 19:23
My name's not cool at all as it just comes from being too hot. At the risk of offending Whirls :} , when I started flying in tropical climes many years ago, I started wearing boxer shorts to allow a cooling flow of air around the male nether regions and try to prevent the dreaded 'jock itch' :ooh: . Needless to say, when the humidity is very high they still get very soggy :( . I have also always been a fan of Art E. Fischler-Reisen and I always liked Snail Trails.

SASless
22nd Jun 2006, 21:08
Soggy,

Be a Man....do like the Scots and start wearing a Kilt and standard undies worn under them.

Course at your advanced age it might not be the temperature and humidity that is causing the problem. :p

Whirlygig
23rd Jun 2006, 00:53
Sassy, you bitch! Geez, I thought women could be bitchy but ....

Cheer

Whirls

PS - Given what the Norfolk Homing Snails have done to my hostas, I don't think Snail Trails is a good name at all! He may be a lovely person but the don't do nuffink for me!

Phatbastard
23rd Jun 2006, 01:34
Can't really think of a good reason for my name:E . Kinda fits though I guess.

jetflite
23rd Jun 2006, 01:53
JETFLITE : my intials are JET......as for the rest of it.... who knows..flite looked better than flight. :ok:

N Arslow
23rd Jun 2006, 07:15
...but I haven't hit the droop stops!

R22DRIVER
23rd Jun 2006, 07:31
I could of put Huey Driver but then you would all know im lying!!!!:E

MD900 Explorer
23rd Jun 2006, 08:41
Got to say, i like whoateallthepies, no wonder he used to drive in an Explorer :E Kissmysquirrel is quite cool. Heliport seems quite a solid name for a mod. :D

Then there is the "A" listers like Nick Lappos, Shawn Coyle, SASless, etc who don't need big'in up, we are not worthy. :D

Then my favs. Flying Pencil, Flingingwings and the most original name on PPRuNe Steve76. Wicked names and great people. Keep those top threads coming.

As for me, i guess it stems to the days when police helicopters were let loose into the skys above us, we used to have an Explorer that goes by the call sign "Police 37" that spent alot of time flying over my town, keeping me awake througout many a sleepless night, and the hum of those lovely twin engines and the sleek body, inspired my PPRuNe name. :(

MD :ok:

Nige321
23rd Jun 2006, 11:37
'Vankem Spankfaart' conjours up a vision :}

Nige

bullshitproof
23rd Jun 2006, 11:51
I think beareing in mind the industry we are in BULL****PROOF takes a bit of beating but hey I am biast.

Teefor Gage
23rd Jun 2006, 12:36
bull****proof - "beareing in mind you are biast" - you carnt spell proplly eitha

Not sure where my name came from - topping though!!

Flashover999
23rd Jun 2006, 21:49
"Flashover" A flashover is the simultaneous ignition of all combustible material in an enclosed area. A slow build up of heat that then grows at an exponential rate until Flashpoint of everything in the compartment is reached. Result is an total involvment of every thing in the compartment!

Bloody scary stuff when u have seen it from the sharp end!

Currently a firefighter (Hence the 999) who is quietly smoldering his way through the UK ATPL exams hoping to convert the almost useless FAA CPL/CFI Ratings in the UK and then hoping to rapidly build up and totally involve the UK helicopter industry! lol :}

Originally my Xbox Live Gamer tag.........!

Keep this going people its great to find out a bit more about the people behind the names!

Flash....and no Im not....very reserved actually!:cool:

Lord Mount
23rd Jun 2006, 22:30
I used to be a skydiving cameraman and my previous login name was "highexposure".

Having joined the ranks of the rotary wing pilots I thought the present name had a more noble ring to it.

(PS a Lord mount is what holds the engine basket of a Bell 47 to the airframe):ok:

HELOFAN
23rd Jun 2006, 22:47
Well.. it speaks for itself really !!

You can look at it in several ways but in the end, Face Value or a Deeper meaning .. it really all means the same thing.

:cool:

rotorrookie
23rd Jun 2006, 23:14
So whatever bulls**t I post can be forgiven..:8 hey I'm just a rookie:O

bellfest
24th Jun 2006, 00:38
I'm not sure if it was pprune or somewhere else but i thought Far Canard was a good one.
I had flown the grandfather right through to the grandson of Bell in the one day and it was a deadset bellfest.

MightyGem
24th Jun 2006, 07:36
Over 2000hrs in a Lynx, listening to the sound of the mighty Gem engine.

bondu
24th Jun 2006, 07:50
bondu: nickname given to me by my friends at Crusader Gliding Club in Cyprus after a little 'incident' when I landed 'off strip'!
bondu :)

PS Hi MightyGem!

Dixons Cider
24th Jun 2006, 09:25
There is a certain Mr Jorgen that appears from time to time, Hugh I think it is....yes thats it - Hugh Jorgen. :ok:

MightyGem
24th Jun 2006, 13:00
bondu: nickname given to me by my friends at Crusader Gliding Clud in Cyprus after a little 'incident' when I landed 'off strip'!

Ahh yes. Remember it well. Finished unpacking yet??

aeromys
24th Jun 2006, 15:42
Aeromys is the Genus name for the Black Flying Squirrel :O

Hairyplane
26th Jun 2006, 12:27
I chose Hairyplane because hair is my business. My Robin Regent is registered G-HAIR and My R44 G-FAKE.
It had to be Hairplane didn't it?!:ok:
Hairy

zorab64
26th Jun 2006, 20:24
In gratitude to a skillful surgeon (Mr Zorab) who fixed a significant squint in '64 (when I was very little) - my parents, when asked why, said "you never know, he might want to join the Navy". 15 years later, at my Naval pilots joining medical, the Docs could detect nothing wrong with my eyes, and having been flying for 25+ years, I'd say Mr Zorab did a pretty good job! :ok:

Bell 206
27th Jun 2006, 01:45
I have my name because it is the best chopper in the world!!! (some may not agree.) but when you come fresh out of a CPH and get your but in one! its pretty awesome feeling going from R22 to Bell 206!! (now have lots of hours in them):ok:
Love so many of your names - well thought out!!
Cheers
Bell 206

diginagain
27th Jun 2006, 16:01
"Well done, Corporal, nice trench, good overhead cover, nicely done considering the ground's frozen, and only 6 hours from start to finish. However, it's in the wrong place, so dress back 10 meters and diginagain."

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
27th Jun 2006, 16:24
As some on this forum know, it sums up my domestic and work situation. And I never quite got over my rebellious mid life crisis in the early 90s !! Must have been male menopause.........

anjouan
27th Jun 2006, 17:02
I heard that you're a good man in Africa NEO :}

Sgtfrog
27th Jun 2006, 18:14
sgtfrog: not very cool but describes my current job and what the wife calls me! - now, now I can hear your brains working.....:E I like the variety of names - most of which go over my poor wannabe CPL head....:ok:

SASless
27th Jun 2006, 18:43
NEO,

That male menopause thing is usually a very short lived thing...still scared of Men in Blue dangling handcuffs at roadside beer stops?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
27th Jun 2006, 22:09
Aaaaaah, Sas,

Long time !! Oceans of water under the bridge since then my man. Big Maurice was good wasn't he ? He's still around, as imposing as ever. So am I, on a 7/5 roster by the way. Let's see what happens end of this month.

anjouan,

See you in Arreta next week. And I am good !! I'll bring GMIA with me if he hasn't travelled yet. So you "heard" ? God, I love this forum !! So will GMIA when he reads this.............:ok:

Cheers,

NEO

212man
27th Jun 2006, 23:08
"And I never quite got over my rebellious mid life crisis in the early 90s !! "

That was your pony tail in Aberdeen, wasn't it?;)

McGowan
27th Jun 2006, 23:21
No surprizes with mine, no imagination either..........

Freewheel
28th Jun 2006, 02:34
I cannot believe nobody has nominated "Letsby Avenue"

The "NR Fairy" was always good - even shared an instructor of mine many moons ago.

Honourable mention to "Whoateallthepies"

"NickLappos" and "Shawn Coyle" have become legends of the forum, but I always have to wonder what became of "Nick Lappos"?

The Nr Fairy
28th Jun 2006, 05:11
The Nr Fairy is *STILL* good, BTW.

And which instructor was that - I've frightened loads !

maxeemum
28th Jun 2006, 05:18
I believe it belongs to Marilyn Anderson-sooooooooooooooo cool, just ask him.

:{

Darren999
28th Jun 2006, 05:46
Again, like some I have no imagination, was never good making up names. So the 999 bit comes from being an ex fireman in London for 17 years. Had a mid life crisis and decided to be a pilot. Work in US, and interested in going back to the UK. But I can't go throu all that studying for the UK Commercials, not that smart. Would like to dearly end up flying HEMS or for the Police, and be closer to my Mummy. :ok:

Lord Mount.. Like that!!!
Kiss my squirrel.. your still my favourite :yuk:

Darren

Up & Away
28th Jun 2006, 07:15
Simple

up, up and away!!

Its just what helicopters do..

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Jun 2006, 07:52
Would like to dearly end up flying HEMS or for the Police, and be closer to my Mummy.

So it's all true then Darren !

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
28th Jun 2006, 10:18
212man,

Yup, that was the pony tail that was. But I did wait until after our Tiger conversion to grow it !! It was a conversation piece and the source of many rumours if nothing else !! Thing is, even if I wanted to I don't have enough hair to grow it again :sad: Not sure the warning letters would be so sympathetic either............ Never did work out how a person could have four in less than a year without being down the road, but I suppose it was a different company then.

Ah, memories are wonderful when they're good ones :D And that is a good one.

Cheers,

NEO.

Flingwing207
28th Jun 2006, 13:06
Well as a wanabee, I loved the 206 (still do), but couldn't quite bring myself to imply that I was flying the machine (probably should have been flingwing300-22, but that wasn't forever). Anyway, I figured that 207 was one higher (homage to Nigel Tufnel) so there it is - the fine line between stupid and clever.

boogie-nicey
28th Jun 2006, 13:39
Boogie-Nicey, very happy, gleeful, disco, a bit 70s Travolta style, non-aggresive and very approachable, also good looking too, hey, hey !

:ok:

too young to die
28th Jun 2006, 15:01
When I was younger, I used to say 'go down in a blaze of glory' having been working in the middle east...........:}

aurora1827
28th Jun 2006, 16:24
Aurora1827 is the name I use everywhere, as I could never remember more than one username. Aurora Borealis are the northern lights - you may be able to guess approximately where I live......18270 was my registration number at university. Over here they post exam lists with numbers rather than names for confidentiality reasons, and after 4 years, that number is ingrained in your psyche....

In other words, nothing to do with helicopters.....:(

Aser
28th Jun 2006, 17:41
I donīt need to think about an username, my realname itīs so strange that can be used as nickname.:cool:

Regards.
Aser

WhySAS
28th Jun 2006, 18:29
I think mine is the best. After a re-naming debarcle, WhySAS was what I came up with.

Pretty good, me thinks!!!

:8:}:8:D:}:D

autoranger
29th Jun 2006, 23:51
Took me ages to come up with this one - and I am only posting on this thread to get my name on it!

Practice engine failure - go! Going for range!:cool: :cool: :cool:

inditrees
30th Jun 2006, 11:45
INDITREES, cos sadly thats where i ended up one day:ok: :ok:

Eurobolkow
30th Jun 2006, 12:28
Fairly obvious but a tribute to the marketing men!!

FlightOops
30th Jun 2006, 14:21
At the start of my helicopter career in ops, after one too many transgressions for the likes of the the legendary Ian Shoobridge, he wanted to rename the sign on my door to "FlightOops".

Great name ... it stuck ... and now I wear it with pride !
Gone but never forgotten Shoo.

FO.

frostbite
30th Jun 2006, 14:37
Surely, mine is the coolest name, isn't it?

Heli-Ice
1st Jul 2006, 01:01
My first job as a pilot in a Schweizer 300 and the call-sign was Heli-Ice30, tswhere I got my nick.

Simple...? yeah me too...

psyclic
1st Jul 2006, 08:06
Aurora......................thanks for your pin number!

Gaseous
1st Jul 2006, 08:46
Not cool. Just an old windbag.

flarecheckohdear
1st Jul 2006, 13:18
Something I seemed to say a lot during my instructional days........followed by f#@*wit!:sad:

diginagain
1st Jul 2006, 14:31
At the start of my helicopter career in ops, after one too many transgressions for the likes of the the legendary Ian Shoobridge, he wanted to rename the sign on my door to "FlightOops".
Great name ... it stuck ... and now I wear it with pride !
Gone but never forgotten Shoo.
FO.
Could have used one of Ian's epithets myself, had they been suitable for a public forum!:ouch:

helidecks
1st Jul 2006, 21:03
Always wanted to get one down, and now I can and up and sideways and forward etc.:p

SASless
1st Jul 2006, 21:16
That pprune fellow....."2Lazy2P" has my vote! A man after my own heart!

aurora1827
1st Jul 2006, 22:52
Psyclic - you mean I can change it from the default 0000? :ugh:

MightyGem
2nd Jul 2006, 09:37
I always liked "John Du Pruyting"(took me a while to figure it out) and
"Mr Proach"(not so long for that one :( ).

handysnaks
2nd Jul 2006, 12:54
Unfortunately JdP had one of those frozen computer/password glitches and will probably never be seen again.....:ugh:

Whirlygig
2nd Jul 2006, 12:59
Phew! Another narrow escape as that's one more that I thought was a real name :D

Another Irish moment (I'm not blond) here! Excellent name JdP; shame the tech guys can't do something to return it to you!

On another note, I like Roofus' personal title - Just dropped in!

Cheers

Whirls

MightyGem
2nd Jul 2006, 13:36
Ahhh...I knew I'd seen someone "previously known as...." :ok:

rotorfan
18th Dec 2009, 05:22
When I found this forum, I was an experienced plank driver, but fresh from an RW checkide. I was sooooooo excited to be on a forum with real heli pilots that I couldn't wait to register. With no forethought and much haste, I picked a highly unimaginative and boring handle. But, it's still descriptive. Still low-time and still smitten with anything with a rotor on top. Well, maybe not those beanie caps with the little prop-thingy...:} (I think I'll lay claim to the UNcoolest pprune name, thank you.)

rf

topendtorque
18th Dec 2009, 11:35
I was sure that there was another thread around of very similar subject.

'arm out the window', tells me of a kool kat image, and the best I reckon is 'damm my neck hurts', maybe he was a mustering pilot for a while, cos mine sure does after a long day.

But then I thought 'who flung dung' was quite neat.

mine, very boring, we all know what goes on above our heads.
tet

minigundiplomat
18th Dec 2009, 12:39
sums me up really.

Dantruck
18th Dec 2009, 14:47
I'm told there's an ATC controller on here called TightSlot. I do hope my imagination is true :E

I also once came across Semi-Colon. Neat, until you discover the poor chap has undergone surgery that left him with said condition :(

An ex-military controller I did my ground exams with is/was Roger Maintain, which is pretty neat for a controller.

I've also compiled a long list of various trolls and similar t@ssers who never contribute, only whinge, whine, bitch and babble, never bothering to read, learn, understand anything :ugh: You know who you are and will be first against the wall come the revolution.

My own monica? Well, you remember Spielberg's first movie, the one starring Dennis Hopper? I was the tanker driver:E

Dan

Winnie
18th Dec 2009, 15:06
Ed "Too Tall" Freeman is the one mentioned around post # 17 or so, MOH Winner for the battle of Ia Drang Valley of 1965. He and his friend Bruce Crandall (Ancient Serpent 6/Snake S hit 6) both got it actually...

ToTall also confuses me because it means "the digit 2" in his native tongue (which also happens to be mine...)

Cheers
Winnie, no, not Winnie Mandela... Winnie the Pooh...

Whirlygig
18th Dec 2009, 15:15
Dantruck, you mean Duel with Dennis Weaver? :}

Cheers

Whirls

-272.15 degrees Cels
18th Dec 2009, 18:55
Me, Kelvin -1? :)

Whirlygig
18th Dec 2009, 19:09
Aren't you Kelvin +1 ? :}

Cheers

Whirls

bigglesbutler
18th Dec 2009, 22:14
Mine was FAR too obvious, am a pilot (was a wanabe when I thought of it) and my surname.

BIGGLESBUTLER

sI

CYHeli
19th Dec 2009, 00:31
Mine comes from a mix of my name, Colin and My wife's name, Yolanda - Colin & Yolanda Heli; and
See Why Heli's (are cooler/better). :ok:

lelebebbel
19th Dec 2009, 02:35
"Cyclic Hotline" is a pretty good one

dammyneckhurts
19th Dec 2009, 05:05
'arm out the window', tells me of a kool kat image, and the best I reckon is 'damm my neck hurts', maybe he was a mustering pilot for a while, cos mine sure does after a long day.
Not quite how I came up with my handle....the only mustering I did was mustering up the will to spend another day hunkered over looking down a long line all day.

Gas Producer
19th Dec 2009, 07:00
What can I say? It suits me on so many fronts.

:}

psyclic
19th Dec 2009, 10:51
Not often here:it screws my pitch.

Dantruck
19th Dec 2009, 12:01
I do, Whirls

Hopper:rolleyes: ...what was I thinking?

A great movie.

+SHRA
19th Dec 2009, 14:44
+SHRA: Because when introduced to PPRuNe as a newly qualified screaming chicken leg pilot, +SHRA was the only thing ever on the TAF in the emerald isle.

HueyLoach
20th Dec 2009, 00:47
Too young and born in the wrong country (or right, depending on the point of view) to have flown in Viet Nam. Flying both today though.

IFMU
20th Dec 2009, 01:37
IFMU: because all the good names were already taken. It was also the name of a box in an aircraft that I used to work on and fly.

SASless
20th Dec 2009, 02:28
My suggestion for the "coolest" name is: "Snotcicles".

One can immediately visualize him at work dressed like Nanook of the North....floppy earred wool hat surrounding his countenance...snow on his shoulders....and the steely gaze of the legendary Bush Pilot....as he sips your whisky and steals your wallet!

griffothefog
20th Dec 2009, 03:08
Sas,

Or maybe he just got off a S61 flight in Sumburgh!! :ok:

vertibird
22nd Dec 2009, 00:44
Obviously my login is the coolest...

TSQQo5S5yd0

I had one and I loved it.

rickshaw1
22nd Dec 2009, 05:58
My name brings back the ever so popular time in the early 60's driving one of Mr. Sikorsky's earlier design efforts around Guantanamo Bay as a flying taxi between Leeward and Mainside by way of the mine fields. Rickshaw1 was my call sign.
Ahhh, the good old days!:ok:
The old I get, the better they were.
Forty years later I'm still at it but in a 206

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Dec 2009, 13:50
Vertibird, how cool is that toy.:ok:

Letsby Avenue
23rd Dec 2009, 21:04
The best and the most original? That'll be mine then:ok::ok::ok:

poppahymen
25th Dec 2009, 01:55
poppahymen because that is what I like to do:ok:

Arm out the window
26th Dec 2009, 03:41
'arm out the window', tells me of a kool kat image,

Not so cool in the style sense, that's for sure, but mine just sprang to mind when thinking about my earliest operational helo days in the Huey, nice big window you could pull down and stick the arm out in the breeze, or grab onto the wire cutter support frame.
You can stick your arm out in some other types I've flown, but none with such freedom as the Iroquois - what a great machine, a statement I know many will agree with.

Whirlygig gets my vote as one of the best names, and crab's is certainly a good one too.

oldbeefer
27th Dec 2009, 08:24
Cos I've been instructing since '76. However, having just finally retired, perhaps I should change it to 'exoldbeefer'?

XV666
27th Dec 2009, 08:39
What else could I use :ok:

CGWRA
27th Dec 2009, 10:13
My initials....well minus the manditory 'C'. When I can afford my own machine I have it reserved to use as my Canadian registration.

Vertical Freedom
20th Feb 2012, 00:57
VERTICAL FREEDOM is the coolest cause that's what a Helciopter gives You - 'Vertical Freedom' :ok:

Arnie Madsen
20th Feb 2012, 05:55
Actually my favorite is not the name (griffothefog) but his location always makes me smile.... sandinmecrackstill .... sounds like he is sitting on a nice beach somewhere telling us a bunch of true stories ....

As far as my name .... it is based on the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger wishes he had a son just like me .... and Virginia Madsen wishes she had a husband just like me.

Which just goes to prove that some Hollywood folks can have a larger ego than the UK offshore helicopter pilots.

Flyting
20th Feb 2012, 08:53
this has to be the quote of the year.....

Which just goes to prove that some Hollywood folks can have a larger ego than the UK offshore helicopter pilots

:D :D :D

toptobottom
20th Feb 2012, 09:00
"...a larger ego than offshore heli pilots"?!! IMPOSSIBLE!!!

The story behind 'Fox3WheresMyBanana' has to be interesting... :}

farsouth
20th Feb 2012, 19:50
I don't know about the coolest, but the least cool and most offensive PRUNE name I have seen is the poster at reply #105, along with the similarly named "Buster ....."

chopcat
21st Feb 2012, 07:33
Chop Cat!
The most effectual Chop Cat!
Who's intellectual close friends get to call him CC.
Providing it's with dignity.

Chop Cat!
The indisputable leader of the gang.
He's the boss, he's a pip, he's the championship.
He's the most tip top,
Chop Cat.

Yes he's a chief, he's a king,
But above everything,
He's the most tip top,
Chop Cat

Big Duke 6
21st Feb 2012, 22:03
My name is the call sign for the lead helicopter in Apocalypse Now, scene where Duvall play's Wagner before the attack !!

"Big Duke 6 to Eagle Thrust 7 ,put on heading 270 ,assume attack formation."

OafOrfUxAche
22nd Feb 2012, 08:07
the least cool and most offensive PRUNE name I have seen is the poster at reply #105, along with the similarly named "Buster ....."

More offensive than Leon Jabachjabicz? Oh the insult, oh the outrage...

OneBelowAbsoluteZero
22nd Feb 2012, 09:15
A pathetic attempt! :-)

Arnie Madsen
23rd Feb 2012, 00:31
.... OneBelowAbsoluteZero ........ That is certainly a CooooL name all right .... :):)

grumpytroll
23rd Feb 2012, 02:25
First, I had a Vertibird around 1970 and I loved that thing. I played with it for hours and hours. It had that sling load hook...loved it.

Now as for cool names, you might not consider grumpytroll cool, however the reason I have the name: not only do I fly helicopters for a living but I also own a brewery, restaurant and pizzeria which I have mentioned on the site before. so check out www.thegrumpytroll.com (http://www.thegrumpytroll.com).

cheers

havick
23rd Feb 2012, 03:04
the funniest one that i've seen is 'My oleo is extended'

The Nr Fairy
23rd Feb 2012, 06:15
I just have to chime in here . . .

DauphinDude
23rd Feb 2012, 06:37
I vote for my own :)

Aerobot
23rd Feb 2012, 06:49
Mine, of course - or I would have chosen something else! An aero robot - an attempt to describe how I fly and to remind me not to get upset at the bonehead things that any of my co-workers, or ATC, or anyone else* might do. :)

*including fellow PPRuNers, come to think of it

Pandalet
23rd Feb 2012, 08:45
Now as for cool names, you might not consider grumpytroll cool, however the reason I have the name: not only do I fly helicopters for a living but I also own a brewery, restaurant and pizzeria which I have mentioned on the site before. so check out www.thegrumpytroll.com (http://www.thegrumpytroll.com/).

Damn, if I'd known about you, I'd have dragged the family out for dinner when we were there in December! Real beer (and I was really impressed with the quality of US beer this time around) plus a chance to talk shop - what's not to like?!?

Ah well, next time!

Seaking Susan
2nd Mar 2012, 14:25
me! got to be the winner.

griffothefog
2nd Mar 2012, 16:04
SS
I do hope you are a female....💋

asthecrowflys
2nd Mar 2012, 21:50
Because that's the way we all do it :ok:

Whirlygig
2nd Mar 2012, 22:17
Art. E. Fischler-Reisen kept me awake one night with laughter when the penny dropped. :E

When I first came to register on Pprune, i wanted the name Torquemada but someone else had beaten me to it.

My late mother's name was quite cool - she worked at RAE Farnborough in the 60s and called herself The Last Black Shed :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

HowlingMad Murdock
2nd Mar 2012, 22:34
Hugh Flung Dung - Too funny! Makes me smile:)
Whirlygig is way cool - I like insects and it is also a type of water beetle.

FADEC225
2nd Mar 2012, 22:50
what about my log in name?FADEC225 . FADEC+EC225 .

Evil Twin
2nd Mar 2012, 22:52
My name on another forum is the coolest… Autonomous Collective:ok:

BobbyBolkow
4th Mar 2012, 08:44
Hats off to all pruners:-
Whos myriad of alias's make me chuckle (quite a few):E, think about the rational (lots):confused: and have genuine concerns about their wellbeing and mental state (far too many):eek:.
But they all show the ingenuity, imagination and humour so vital to our industry.:D: :ok:

When I discovered this forum I wanted something snappy, unique and clever. OK, so I failed on all fronts! I did think of my old military handle but 'Bimbly Bob' didn't quite do it. Although it was very appropriate, hey, that's me that is :O. So with 3000+ hrs on the best workhorse machine ever produced (sorry you huey guys!), it sort of fitted.

My fave has got to be 'THUD and BLUNDER' - Clever, snappy and SOOOOO ACCURATE!:*

Griffo. So you've got the sand out of your crack at last :ok: But sounds like you now have a nasty infestation. Keep taking the pills mate, you'll be right.

Letsby Avenue
4th Mar 2012, 19:59
Guess who I fly around all day long? :D

Paddyviking
4th Mar 2012, 20:28
As a "Paddy" from the land of the "Leprechauns"
to work in Norway "Land of the Trolls", thought Paddyviking was fitting :ok:

Hilsen

PV

ShyTorque
4th Mar 2012, 20:43
Guess who I fly around all day long?

Guessed, but do you fly them from the soon to be closed place adjacent to the perimeter road near the old Sheffield airfield, with exactly the same, very appropriate name? ;)

(See Google Earth: N53 23.735 W01 23.9 )

Cyber Bob
5th Mar 2012, 09:44
Bob Sheruncle - clear winner!

Cyber Bob (Good too, for entirely different reasons!)

CB :ok:

FlyAny
5th Mar 2012, 16:58
Helicopters, airplanes, and a large piece of plywood off the Santa Monica, Ca. pier into the Pacific Ocean. I have no prejudice towards anything that flys and doesn't crap on me. If I feel it's safe I'll FlyAny.

Seaking Susan
6th Mar 2012, 13:46
Its got to be me!