PDA

View Full Version : Sam Newman Slags Qantas

Annulus Filler
21st Jun 2006, 09:07
Did anyone pickup on what Sam Newman said about Qantas in the World Cup Footy Show in Germany? Rumour has it, it really hurt.

rickwithasilentp
21st Jun 2006, 09:13
As he was spat on and abused by a LH F/A I am not surprised he doesn't have much time for QF

Annulus Filler
21st Jun 2006, 09:26
Something about the entertainment system/Qantas service????

hotnhigh
21st Jun 2006, 09:55
I think the term 'third world airline' was used in describing the IFE system amoungst a few other things.
'Lock it in Eddie' tried his best to recover the situation but Sam was only saying what alot of people think.

Aussie
21st Jun 2006, 10:15
At least he is honest!!!

Aussie

Taildragger67
21st Jun 2006, 10:16
As he was spat on and abused by a LH F/A I am not surprised he doesn't have much time for QF

Spat on and abused by a F/A who was on duty??!! Sounds like there are two sides to this...

And (at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious) as we're talking about Germany, probably a good idea to clear up - by 'LH', you mean long-haul and not Lufthansa?

Or... was this chap just miffed at not getting a U/G...

As for 'third world airline' - was on one just last week, mate. Would've preferred the Rat. Have been on a few of the genuine article over the years, some surprisingly good, some downright awful. Best he get his facts straight if he's going to start slagging off like that in public.

rammel
21st Jun 2006, 10:54
The QF F/A is supposedly LH and on holidays (info from CC discussions). Also I thought I saw a brief glimpse of the Dame in the audience. If it was her, QF did have a big part to play in their show.

Warren Rabbit
21st Jun 2006, 11:19
I may have to change my opinion of QF. If a boorish egotistical mysogynist thug with a vastly inflated sense of his own intelligence doesn't like them, they've got to be doing something right.

Dixon on one hand, Newman on the other; geez, there's not much in it. :hmm:

olderairhead
21st Jun 2006, 11:33
Most international airlines operating to / from Oz apart from a couple of notable exceptions are superior to QANTAS!

Who flies QANTAS anyway?

And surely Eddie should have had 'em all on Emirates! :}

Capt Fathom
21st Jun 2006, 12:06
Obviously Sam was not happy with the service ... and Qantas responded with what they thought about Sam. Looks like everyone walked away happy! :E
Good old fashioned customer service!

QSK?
21st Jun 2006, 17:41
Who is Sam Newman?

Sunfish
21st Jun 2006, 21:38
Funny that, I was having lunch with a few people at the yacht club yesterday and the subject of QF came up. Without any prompting from me two of them used the exact same term "third world airline" to describe the standard of service.

They left the table even less impressed after I told them that the people responsible in part for QF's safety record - the maintenance engineeers - were all being sacked and their jobs outsourced, or replaced with unqualified AME's.

Pappa Smurf
21st Jun 2006, 23:20
Two sides to a story.

Knowing Sammy he probably asked for it.Seems to find trouble and upset people where-ever he goes. Keep it up Sam

HANOI
21st Jun 2006, 23:22
I may have to change my opinion of QF. If a boorish egotistical mysogynist thug with a vastly inflated sense of his own intelligence doesn't like them, they've got to be doing something right.

Tsk Tsk Warren , mustn't talk about 'Pisces del Sol" like that.

king oath
21st Jun 2006, 23:24
The front page of one newspaper had a series of photos of Sammy being spat on by a fat male. The next photos showed a fist extending, making contact with the ugly face, and the fat male reeling backward.

Sams comment was along the lines of the man was making some basic point of view and Sam reacted in the time honored basic way, with his point of view.

Was this dude a QF Flight Attendant? That would account for his lack of interest in pressing charges. He got his mate to hose it down and departed.
Didn't want any publicity. That would make sense.

Any information available out there? A boofhead F/A turning up at work with a bruised face would be a dead set giveaway.

TIMMEEEE
22nd Jun 2006, 07:07
And just who sponsors the Socceroos as well as the Wallabies?

Hell of alot better than having a middle eastern airline such as Emirates sponsor the Australian team!

As for Sam Newman, his actions speak louder than his sorded words.
If he wasn't such a great mate of Eddie's he definitely would be on the street as was "Mahatma Coat" from the NRL Footy Show after disgracing himself in a Qantas Club Lounge.
Kerry Packer saw to that one quick smart.

Come to think of it, Sam should realise that the CEO of PBL as well as Channel 9 (Mr James Packer....Eddie's boss) is a non executive member of Qantas.

Expect Sam to be bitch-slapped by James Packer when he returns if not already.

Sunfish - you may call Qantas a third world airline but on a recent Emirates Flight from Dubai to Beirut we had no entertainment system at all, poorly working airconditioning and poor service with little or no apology from an apathetic crew.
Sounded like only one airconditioning pack was working and I dont know why there was no entertainment - either way the crew couldnt give a rats and that was in business class no less.:=

To make matters worse Sunfish there was no explanation from the Captain or apathetic and lazy cabin manager at all.
The return flight faired not much better with another crew that couldnt work in an iron lung....yet again!
When asking the cabin crew in fluent arabic why there was no English language channel functioning on the enteratinment system, they shrugged their shoulders and made no attempt at an explanation.
That was a full business class fare by the way Sunfish.

I've been on many Middle Eastern Airlines (Gulf Air, Oman Air, Egypt Air, MEA, Saudia etc) but never have I seen such a surly and disinterested crew.

At least on Qantas they will tell you the facts rather than treat the pax with contempt or arrogance.
Qantas is by no means perfect as are any airline, but at least when they screw up they will offer to make an honest explanation and offer something in return if possible.

Welcome to the real world Sunfish and keep on keeping on at the Yacht Club old bean!! :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Dookie on Drums
22nd Jun 2006, 07:47
Love him or hate him, Sam Newman has my vote in this incident.

Anyone who resorts to spitting on someone else deserves to get a smack in the head. It's a filthy disgusting act and quite honestly it looked to be just a short jab to the FA's beak. He will think twice about doing it again. :=

Wizofoz
22nd Jun 2006, 08:15
Come to think of it, Sam should realise that the CEO of PBL as well as Channel 9 (Mr James Packer....Eddie's boss) is a non executive member of Qantas.

Expect Sam to be bitch-slapped by James Packer when he returns if not already.

....And doesn't that speak volumes about just what is wrong with the Australian corparate scene.

Hugh Jarse
22nd Jun 2006, 09:00
Expect Sam to be bitch-slapped by James Packer when he returns if not already.The most absent board member in corporate history must first turn up:}

chemical alli
22nd Jun 2006, 09:05
who cares what sam the tool newman has to say ,jamie is probably pissing himself at what a small todger he has anyway and as for eddie everywhere lets get him as ceo than at least we could go fifty fifty
quote=Hugh Jarse]The most absent board member in corporate history must first turn up:}[/quote]

jack red
22nd Jun 2006, 09:49
Anyone who watches the Footy Show in MEL, on a regular basis, knows Sammy Newman is a clown. When it comes to his knowledge of Aussie Rules, I will concede he knows what he is talking about BUT, he has a massive ego and has suffered the Peter Pan syndrome since puberty. These two attributes limit his success in anything outside of aussie rules comentary.:E

Normasars
22nd Jun 2006, 11:20
TIMMEEEEEEEEEE

You pay peanuts mate and ya get monkeys!!

Doesn't matter what carrier, same sh1t different bucket!!

CAYNINE
23rd Jun 2006, 12:13
Timmeeee mate,
I have worked for both..... difference is Qantas is consistantly bad, rude and indifferent, EK occasionally, especially when the A310 is used on the BEY sector, yep the entertainment is cr*p and the seats hard, but hey, how was the trip from Cronulla to DXB, ok?? Or down there with the QF standard too, I'm guessing not? Did you travel on the 340-500?? B777 ER??, both have 500 channels in digital format for you and the kiddies to play with.....:D

BelfastChild
23rd Jun 2006, 12:24
Never really given a rodent's rectum about the opinions of Sam Newman...:E

dude65
23rd Jun 2006, 12:47
What pisses me off is the fact that the footy show ,(both of them) have been bagging Soccer for years. Now all of a sudden they've jumped on the bandwagon. It's bloody typical of the nine network.
They can't understand why they're not winning the ratings. Perhaps it's because they haven't had an original idea in 20 years.

Slippery Nipple
23rd Jun 2006, 13:55
He was playing with his todger when he was using the IFE, probably why he had blurred vision! For what it is worth, had the opportunity to compare EK and QF recently and EK was not a patch on QF, comparing EK's A340 & B777 with QF's A330. I am sure he misses his bunny rug, Eddie!

7e7100
23rd Jun 2006, 14:02
I have flown on QF many many times internationally. The flights are always smooth and a I have plenty of confidence in their safety record. Having said that the service is usually crap. The F/As always look upset about something and get cranky easily. Its a shame that this the first impression of a real Aussie when overseas tourists travel to Australia.:bored:

soldier of fortune
23rd Jun 2006, 21:20
7e7100 "qoute"

Its a shame that this the first impression of a real Aussie when overseas tourists travel to Australia.

i thought the cabin crew on long haul qf were low paid contract poms,asian and kiwi's:rolleyes:

lowerlobe
23rd Jun 2006, 23:25
Thats right under Darths idea of the "Spirit of Australia" and his sustainable futures and Australian employee minimising program you can play spot the aussie on board...it helps to kill time on those long flights when the IFE is not working as usual

relax737
24th Jun 2006, 00:52
I agree that QF may lack a little/lot in the way they are dealing with the public, but they do so because they can; that's commerical reality.

Besides, there are a lot who like old boiler FA's, hard as nails, who think they're in charge of the aircraft.

As for Sam, I have never known of somebody so insignificant who attracts so much attention. He is no more than an immature, self promoting w****r.

I saw this quoted here a while back:

The amount of publicity he attracts is inversely proportional to the square of his importance and intelligence.

satmstr
24th Jun 2006, 07:25
if he hates QF so much maybe he should fly in a bug smasher around places and see if he likes that..if he doesnt well the next option go by boat or bus!!!:mad:

lowerlobe
24th Jun 2006, 22:18
Whether we like Sam or not ,he does have a point regarding the IFE or Inflight Failure of Entertainment.Even the company has seen to another company for future versions of IFE after Stonewell Collins sytems have never lived up to their claimed performance figures much like some aircraft we have bought from France.

flyagain1day
25th Jun 2006, 07:48
We are not overpaid, we are just under worked. :}
Watch the old boilers come out and jump on me for this one:cool:

lowerlobe
25th Jun 2006, 08:08
FRYAGAIN,

Exactly what floor in QCC do you work on and do you have multiple personalities like Simon ?????

flyagain1day
25th Jun 2006, 08:29
The same floor you work on, 35000 ft above sea level. Catch you soon.:ok:

radiation junkie
25th Jun 2006, 14:09
LL, he does not fly (but would like to) and only has the one personality, same as Sam Newman's... Zero.
I know I should not have revealed these facts. Sorry....