PDA

View Full Version : The Ascot 2006 Thread

verticalhold
21st Jun 2006, 09:02
First day over with a remarkable lack of muppetry and some great humour.

The vortex crew looking for H7 H4 for a scenic jolly made my day and the 125.62 controller who had to deal with the police flight from Windsor to Ascot was quite remarkable.

Any one else heard/seen any good moments to add?

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 10:25
First day over with a remarkable lack of muppetry and some great humour.
The vortex crew looking for H7 H4 for a scenic jolly made my day and the 125.62 controller who had to deal with the police flight from Windsor to Ascot was quite remarkable.
Any one else heard/seen any good moments to add?
Yes well done him!
Not too many probs thus far. Loads of (mainly Mil!) crews asking for QE2 bridge - H4 - H3 and when being told they can't due to Ascot Races and the NOTAM/AIC they say
"But we are routing well south of Ascot near Thorpe!"
Funny at first........:D

uncle ian
21st Jun 2006, 10:45
I was very impressed by 125.62 being totally "on the ball" and giving expeditious clearances wherever possible; but not surprised (the London Zone has always been the best controlled in the world). I hope the professionalism of the pilots matches their's when it gets really busy tomorrow (thursday). Please do your best chaps!

Flying Pencil
21st Jun 2006, 14:44
Generally good but I was held at 'brooky' today for about 10 mins while ascot and heathrow sorted out my onward clearance. Gave my pax more time in the bar I suppose.

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 15:10
Generally good but I was held at 'brooky' today for about 10 mins while ascot and heathrow sorted out my onward clearance. Gave my pax more time in the bar I suppose.

If that was you in 221 awaiting to get to Englefield Green then unfortunately the problem is that there was another one going Ascot-Runnymede-Ascot.

Given that you need 3nm standard separation off the routes/freelanes and you needed to work Heathrow tower (who get a little busy with jets at times!:)) meant that only one Jockey could do it at a time.

If we had known before you got airborne, you would have been told to wait on the ground to save you getting airborne. (We understood that the Runnymede lander would be on the ground for 15 minutes but it turned out that he effectively came straight back)

I was a little confused why you were given to me holding WEST of Ascot wanting to go EAST of it - needing to go through the freelanes and the EGLT overhead. I have no idea what they are launching so you are better off with Ascot Tower. Couple that with the fact that we have to ring Ascot tower on a full dial landline and they can't ring in directly to the controller :ugh: meant that it is hard to communicate freely and you lose some slickness.

Actually, the LHR tower controller did you proud, as the deps man is sorting all the aircraft out at the hold to get the best departure sequence, and he had Police 381, the Runnymede Hotel, Hamm house to the East, a crosser, and then you all within 5 minutes! They are within their rights to say no and give the same delay as the outbounds when they are busy.

Let's do it all again tomorrow:):) :ok:

Feedback always welcomed though.......

Flying Pencil
21st Jun 2006, 15:49
LHR tower did indeed 'do me proud' and were most helpful.
I knew it was going to be an odd one as soon as I saw the landing site. I did however have a face to face with the satco for ascot and contacted heathrow radar the day before. I also phoned both ascot and heathrow radar this morning to confirm what they wanted me to do.
In the hold at 'brooky' I changed from ascot twr to heathrow radar back to ascot twr then to heathrow twr. I'm not criticising but i'm not sure what more I could of done. (I didn't mind holding either, I had the fuel and get paid by the hour :E ).

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 19:18
FP - I will pass on your thanks to the chaps in the tower!

The whole PPR thing is a waste of time - you phone a number and you speak to the new Traffic Managers assistant. They try and talk to the only people in the room who can assess the impact of the flight (ie the SVFR/Thames controller) and then say "Yes - Subject traffic!" (Unfortunately you were subject to trfafic at that given time!)

Was no stresses - I was just a little unsure what I could do with you when you were west of the Ascot Pad, wanting to cross airspace controlled by someone else and in a freelane controlled by them!

(It was me that said "Give Ascot my regards but go back to them") - wasn't being snotty - just easier!

I then phoned Heathrow Tower and co-ordinated with them and then phoned Ascot Tower to try and get you moving - but then the Runnymede Hotel aircraft came back which delayed you.

Wish I was paid by the Jockey Callsign!

EESDL
21st Jun 2006, 20:49
AlanM - get to bed - busy day tomorrow!!!

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 21:16
Night night......

Afternoon shift for Ladies Day!

Flying Pencil
22nd Jun 2006, 08:05
I'm sure we were all looking for the least work load.
Was in no way criticising anyone, just trying to work out the thought patterns for next time! By the way I was popping my Ascot cherry yesterday so you could of told me anything ( within reason ) and I wouldn't of know much better:ok:

AlanM
22nd Jun 2006, 10:25
No worries FP - no criticism intended/received here.... just not sure if people understand the diffculties in getting SVFR traffic close to LHR even when Ascot isn't on!!! (We didn't make the zone Class A SVFR!!)

Have a good one fella.:ok:

(P.S. You lost yr Cherry in true style having to work LHR tower as well!!!)

ATCO17
22nd Jun 2006, 21:52
I wonder what the Muppet count was today? Specials Controller was working hard around 5pm with Jockey callsigns all over the place! :D Only noticed a couple that found it hard to navigate outside the CTZ.

Flying Lawyer
22nd Jun 2006, 22:30
Meanwhile, on the ground ......

Ladies' Day at Royal Ascot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/ascot-3.jpg______http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Watercress_sandwiches.jpg______http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/ascot-1.jpg
Sophie Anderton's 'Millenium Dome', 'Watercress sandwich, anyone?', 'Fantasy in Pink'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/DSCF0118web.jpg
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh arrive

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/DSCF0121web-1.jpg
Royal Procession Around the Parade Ring http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/QueenParadeweb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/DSCF0128_300.jpgStrict Dress Code in the Royal Enclosure

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/DSCF0129web.jpg
Uhoomagoo (foreground) came through at 25/1 in the Buckingham Palace Stakes

airborne_artist
23rd Jun 2006, 05:53
I expect all the pros were too busy in the office to notice a runner in the first race, Cav Okay - came third at 22-1 - so would have made good place bet.

AlanM
23rd Jun 2006, 06:32
Tudor - very nice!!! I am guessing you went as pax then....!!!?

Muppetry markedly down on previous events (almost none at all really)..... time to change things then?! :)

The R44 pilot who asked to come in from Cookham to Brooklands and back made me laugh bless him - as I said that we were "too busy as there was something called Ascot races on, as per the NOTAM (this was at kick out time 1815ish) we were busy and the zone was PPR remain outside CAS!"

He replied laughing "Ahh - that'll be a no then - SORRY ABOUT THAT - going en route!" :D

Flying Lawyer
23rd Jun 2006, 06:45
a_a
It would have indeed. If only..... :hmm:
Take to the Skies was in the same race - but didn't.

AlanM
You're right - but in a car.
Maybe one day ....... :)

John Eacott
23rd Jun 2006, 07:15
AlanM
You're right - but in a car. :)

Yes, but a very nice car: with the top down, to accommodate the topper? ;)

AlanM
23rd Jun 2006, 07:32
Yep - FL is not one for slumming it......... :):ok:

airborne_artist
23rd Jun 2006, 08:16
FL - was your tie intended to co-ordinate with your lady's wrap/shawl? If so, top marks!

EESDL
23rd Jun 2006, 09:29
Go on, own up, the pilot who, on several attempts, couldn't find Ascot??????
Ladies Day
about 1030local?

just goes to prove that atc have to cater for everyone;-)

The Power/Grand that must have had their speedo stuck at 100kts.........does the 109 stall below such speeds;-)

Cheers 'special' speak to you again soon no doubt.

chevvron
23rd Jun 2006, 10:07
There were Chinooks trying to use H3 on both wed and thu; I couldn't convince them it was a nono; must admit it wasn't clear in the AIP supplement.
Situation is even busier today with the 3nm TRA at Wycombe Air Park and no transits allowed.

tomotomp
26th Jun 2006, 13:57
Go on, own up, the pilot who, on several attempts, couldn't find Ascot??????
Ladies Day
about 1030local?
just goes to prove that ACT have to cater for everyone;-)
The Power/Grand that must have had their speedo stuck at 100kts.........does the 109 stall below such speeds;-)
Cheers 'special' speak to you again soon no doubt.
according to the AIC speed limit inside the zone had to be 100 kts

AlanM
26th Jun 2006, 14:51
It is indeed 100kts. When it was quiet I offered/approved speed increases. Sometimes I asked some to slow down as Battersea was full.
Anyway - the numpty award probably goes to a certain pilot who thought that the base of the LTMA nr LCY is 3500ft - and was going over the top of the LCY zone........
He gave a great explanation.......:ugh: