PDA

View Full Version : Airport friendly shoes

lowlite
21st Jun 2006, 07:30
Hi pruners,

Looking for a new pair of black work shoes that I don't have to take off every time I go through the metal detectors in the airport terminals. I'm hoping for some recommendations from anyone who does not have this problem.

Lowlite.

Aerodynamisist
21st Jun 2006, 07:43
Try a pair of elastic sided riding boots like RM William's or if you have broader toe's Baxter boots. You can kick them on and off easy enough and you can walk around on wet grass without getting you socks wet. The relatively thin leather souls don't give you much traction on carpet but give you good feel of the rudder pedals and also the reinforced toe is handy in bar fights as well .

CaptainMidnight
21st Jun 2006, 07:53
When shopping for shoes, take a magnet with you and check 'em :)

Defenestrator
21st Jun 2006, 11:20
The various "detectors" around the place seem to be calibrated differently. Some you have no problems, others you are stripping off your belt, shoes, etc. Given this I've never had a problem with RM's. Maybe just lucky.

Hugh Jarse
21st Jun 2006, 11:54
lowlite,

most quality shoes have a steel last in the sole, so it's difficult to avoid getting a buzz from the detectors. I have a pair of Colorado's which have them, as well as Florsheims.

Handy hint: If you walk through quickly, the detector doesn't go off ;), except in YSCB, which seems to go off regardless.:confused: You could walk through them mo-fo's naked and they'd still go off:E

slamer.
21st Jun 2006, 21:40
Ask any B774 Captain, (this is a universal law) the best shoes are the plastic ones with a velcro strap from COSTCO... (preferably in Tan)

" Lads, you wouldnt believe the deal I got on these new shoes from COSTCO's............. Ummmmmm yes we would !!.......:uhoh: "

You've either heard it, or will hear it........ Guess their having the last laugh now.

ContactMeNow
21st Jun 2006, 23:03
In my previous life I worked in a shoe retail shop. This shop sold "airport friendly" shoes.

Stores name: Betts (guys from WA will know it well). Guys from NSW its the competition to Williams and Mathers.

The shoes you are after is called Airflex they retail for $99.95 and there is no metal in the soles of the shoes (unless things have changed).

I recall selling many of these to QF cabin crew (both male and female), plus a few boys from QF and REX (I only know that because they told me their dilemma regarding this topic)

Happy shoe shopping boys

CMN :ok:

king oath
21st Jun 2006, 23:30
Rivers shoes go through without problems. Get them from Rivers stores or big retailers like Myers.

separator
22nd Jun 2006, 00:12
Just be grateful that Richard Reid isn't known as "The Underwear Bomber"....

sep

mince
22nd Jun 2006, 02:50
Dunlop Volleys