PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Namibia

Delfty
20th Jun 2006, 18:26
Hey,

Is there anyone who can tell me how it is to fly in Namibia? Or is there anyone who knows somebody who has been there?
Is it quite safe to live in Namibia and to work there? What about the politics over there and the health care? Any threats of diseases?
You would be of a great help if you have any information about this matter!

Regards...

View From The Ground
20th Jun 2006, 18:33
Brad and Angelina seem to think the healthcare there is up to par!! Helps when you have unlimited dough of course!!:ok:

CSilvera
21st Jun 2006, 05:53
I think she actually flew her ob/gyn into Namibia--along with who knows what else equipment.

s1659399
21st Jun 2006, 14:16
Politically and economically the country is fairly safe. The economy is closely linked to that of South Africa with the Nam $ pegged to the South African Rand. The economy itself is fairly healthy and growing steadily at around 4%GDP anually.
as far as personal safety is concerned - well lets just say that its not advisable to leave valuables lying around. Common sense is a pre requisite.

Is the flying safe - well if you're looking for perfect safety you best be a bird and sit on a fence! (it goes something like that)
I think that there are certainly aspects of the Namibian aviation industry that are not up to par. However I am lead to believe that most pilots in Namibia are not perminent residents (and therefore mostly foreign) yet they all seem to have a good time and get a few hours. There does seem to be a fairly strong demand for german speaking pilots (that is with certain companies anyway).

As for the health system - apart from the recent outbreak of polio, 25% of the population with HIV/AIDS, malaria in the north, and a high incidence of TB - its OK! (But hey this is Africa so such diseases are fairly prevelant throughout the region) Once again common sense is a pre requisite - washing fresh food and personal hygeine etc. However private health care is seriously worth considering.

Apart from that it has to be said that it is certainly a beautiful country. Dense wodlands and swamps in the North (Caprivi), the deserts along the coast, the 2nd largest canyon in the world, as well as the infamous Etosha national park. They say if it can't be done in Namibia its probably not worth doing!

Delfty
21st Jun 2006, 16:58
Ok, thanks for the info,... its true that if you wanna fly, there is always some kind of risk....

Grts....

Stierado
27th Jun 2006, 18:09
[QUOTE=s1659399] [However I am lead to believe that most pilots in Namibia are not perminent residents (and therefore mostly foreign) yet they all seem to have a good time and get a few hours. There does seem to be a fairly strong demand for german speaking pilots (that is with certain companies anyway).]

That may be true, but most foreign pilots dont fly much more than the C210's or maybe the C208's.

Unless you have 150% backing from your employer, you can start standing in the endless cues at the Ministry of Home Affairs:ugh: , to try and apply for a work permit or temporary work permit. Thats IF they decide to issue you one!!!:confused:
They make damn sure that your not going to fill any positions a namibian could fill.:oh:

And that permit has to be renewed every so often (anything from three months to one year) just to make sure you still working for the same company that the permit was issued for.

SOME companies require their pilots to speak german as the majority of tourists visiting Namibia are from Germany.

Your chances are best if you can speak English, Afrikaans AND German (any others are of benefit), and hold some or other tour guiding qualification.

The country is stunning....the scenery that is.

Be ready for anything and everything if you do go to work there.

Good Luck:ok:

graphitestick
30th Jun 2006, 09:29
Would the request for german speakers not have more to do with the fact that it was a German colony originally.........
The country has so many fantastic sights as previously mentioned but you must go to the sand dunes at sossusvlei.

BAKELA
3rd Jul 2006, 18:33
I'm combining three quotes from three previos posts into one here They say if it can't be done in Namibia its probably not worth doing!
Be ready for anything and everything if you do go to work there. The country has so many fantastic sights as previously mentioned but you must go to the sand dunes at sossusvlei. When leaving Namibia only part of me came with me. The rest is still there.