PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Wrap Rocket

EAL747
20th Jun 2006, 17:57
Rather than respond to jondc9's comment about the nickname, "rocket," I thought a new thread might be worthwhile. Eastern took delivery of the original issue DC-9's We had 15 of the DC9-10. One of the games played by flight training (before simulators) was the scenario to blast off with full power, then level off at 1500' at V2 + 35. In order to accomplish this, one rotated (to 15° nose up, positive rate, gear up, flaps up and then pulled the power back momentarily to level off. Flap retract speed was V2 + 35 and that was reached just about the time the gear started retracting. The DC9-10 has no leading edge devices, so flaps 10-20-30-50 was all there was. Another game with the -10 was to make full stall landings. With a decent length runway and light weight, snatch off the power and wait. The stick shaker would be rumbling as you kept adding back pressure. Made GOOD landings that way (infrequently of course). :)

Few Cloudy
20th Jun 2006, 18:09
Quote is from Snoopy of course!

Well we are about the same age and still alive, so I guess we made it through the days of "fun" and the days of safety too, though flight testing the MD-80 qualifies as a bit of each I think...

Keep Jazzin,

FC.