PDA

View Full Version : Hayfever: what if you sneeze on finals?

d2180s
20th Jun 2006, 17:52
Hi,

I'm a hayfever sufferer who wants to be a pilot. I had a look at the hayfever thread but can't find the answer to what I'm looking for. The last two years has been pretty tough on my hayfever, but it can be controlled quite well by loratadine and a nasal spray. However, ocasionally I get the odd sneeze.

I had a look at the CAA FAQs for hayfever and they said that as long as the hayfever can be controlled with acceptable medicine, it was fine.

Nevertheless, it's still a bit of a worry. What if you 'snot-up' the flight deck? (Apologies for the graphic content). If there are any hayfever-suffering pilots out there, how well controlled must your hayfever be? Is the occasional sneeze okay? Also, do you still get hayfever symptoms on the flight deck or is it sufficiently isolated from things such as pollen?

Thanks.

Loose rivets
20th Jun 2006, 18:22
A lot more pilots have hay-fever than admit to it. I think that the concentration on finals helps to take one's mind of the sneeze for the moment. Sex changes the state of the nasal cavity for a while, perhaps it's the same sort of reaction.

Mind you, presumably by the same mechanism, a sudden erotic thought causes some people to sneeze!

747dreamliner
21st Jun 2006, 07:06
Hi, Have you tried Flixonase Spray + Cetrizine tablets? They really help! I even know some pilots who have Multi Chemical Sensitivity (they get headache by chemical smells like perfume, etc.) which is mostly caused by hayfever, but those two medications helped them control both! They are perfectly allowed too! But as loose rivets said I think now I understand why they keep beautiful flight attendants out of the cockpit while on final :E
check here, i hope it will help:
http://www.pilotfriend.com/aeromed/medical/allergies.htm

Sparkle
21st Jun 2006, 22:13
Think:
How long have you been in an airconditioned environment until you land?:rolleyes:
when you suffer from hayfever you won't want to come out of that plane at the end of your day!
So: good luck with your career!

Lou Scannon
25th Jun 2006, 16:38
"a sudden erotic thought causes some people to sneeze!"

Which Mrs Scannon usually interprets as a cold that's coming on.:ugh: