PDA

View Full Version : Delta, welcome to Accra, Ghana

soups
20th Jun 2006, 15:17
Delta airlines is to start flying from JFK to ACC from 11 december 4 weekly flights initially on 767s.

surely not
22nd Jun 2006, 18:47
Is this in addition to or in place of the North American services?
Amazing the money the Yank airlines can fork out on new routes whilst not paying their creditors because the ailrline is in Chapter 11. Level playing field my rectum:}

bafanguy
22nd Jun 2006, 18:56
To my knowledge, Delta Airlines has nothing to do with North American Airlines.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy is a restructuring process which may include adding or dropping routes ( as well as rearranging/restructuring many other things ) to get the company healthy enough to survive...and pay its bills. It has nothing to do with a "...level playing field...".

Dan Air 87
22nd Jun 2006, 20:01
Why the sudden US interest in flying to West Africa??

20driver
22nd Jun 2006, 20:51
Because Southwest doesn't fly there
20driver

surely not
23rd Jun 2006, 09:36
Bafanguy, does your answer mean the Delta service is in addition to North American? I know they are seperate airlines, that isn't what I asked!

Chapter 11 IS an unlevel playing field because it has allowed many US carriers that should have been out of business years ago to continue to trade whilst protected. Their worlwide competitors have to cope with the problems without this safeguard. The restructuring process is obviously not the success it should be as many of those who emerge from it have re-entered a short while later. Indeed some airlines have had 3 or more visits to Chapter 11. Their suppliers are not so lucky as they rarely get to recover any significant amounts of the money owed to them.Instead they have no option but to continue to supply the new less inefficient airline in the hope that they can recover some of the debt.

Deskjocky
23rd Jun 2006, 12:13
Heard they are already talking about a B777, hope they do as it will serve as a great catalyst for SAA to finally decide to operate to Chicago- once they do that Im afraid Delta will have a problem- in the interim they are going to make some good cash

bafanguy
23rd Jun 2006, 13:38
Bafanguy, does your answer mean the Delta service is in addition to North American? I know they are seperate airlines, that isn't what I asked!
Chapter 11 IS an unlevel playing field because it has allowed many US carriers that should have been out of business years ago to continue to trade whilst protected. Their worlwide competitors have to cope with the problems without this safeguard. The restructuring process is obviously not the success it should be as many of those who emerge from it have re-entered a short while later. Indeed some airlines have had 3 or more visits to Chapter 11. Their suppliers are not so lucky as they rarely get to recover any significant amounts of the money owed to them.Instead they have no option but to continue to supply the new less inefficient airline in the hope that they can recover some of the debt.

I would think the fact they are separate airlines would mean Delta's service would be in addition to NA's service.

If you want fairness, join the Boy Scouts. Apparently, US bankruptcy law is different than where you live. Wouldn't know what to tell you about that...I guess the poor suppliers knew the relationship was potentially dangerous when they entered into it. They're all big boys.

surely not
26th Jun 2006, 12:03
So the answer Bafanaguy is that you don't know whether it is an additional service or a replacement of North American. Why couldn't you just say so??:} :E

What a shame that others in the USA don't share your view that different countries have different ways of giving what amount to subsidies to their countries aviation industries. Perhaps the US might be a 'big boy' and leave Airbus alone:ugh: :E

bafanguy
26th Jun 2006, 13:51
So the answer Bafanaguy is that you don't know whether it is an additional service or a replacement of North American. Why couldn't you just say so??:} :E

OK...I don't know...so the answer to your question lies in whether or not NA is going to STOP their service.

I don't know that either. And who subsidizes what is above my pay grade.