PDA

View Full Version : Working with Qantas Link

Skygal
20th Jun 2006, 10:18
Hi,I 'am wondering what its like working as cabin crew with Qantas Link out of Sydney. I've just been excepted to work for them. However I work for another airline at the moment, and really want to know if its worth leaving my great job, to get my foot in the door with Qantas, i know it takes ages to get into main line Qantas, but anythings better than nothing. Id love to know the conditions, rosters and routes etc....Any info would be great,Thanks so much :)

CrashAxe
20th Jun 2006, 11:44
Heya,

A friend of mine works for QFLink as Cabin Crew out of SYD. He reckons it's pretty good. There's a new guy there now managing the Cabin Crew Eastern team. Apparently he's OK, a little bit 'strict' / 'no bull&&it' sorta guy... but apparently not a bad thing.

Anyone else got any feedback re. this? Is that true? What's it/he like?

Up to you I guess re. what you're wanting for your career. If you're after a meal ticket into QFMainline, prolly not the right thing for you. Why not go MAM? :p

I Just Want To Fly
20th Jun 2006, 11:46
Hi Skygal,

I got through to QF Link, but failed the high test, I'm too tall!

At the time, I was earning $65,000 per year, and I was really scared about cutting my salary in half, to fly little Dash-8s to CBR, PMQ and CFS!

Anyway, my height made my decision for me...

I don't work for them, so DO NOT treat my advice as the word of god, but rather the word of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat, but here's my opinion, and what I remember.

Back in the days before september 11, I did work experience with Eastern Australian Airlines, and from the recruitment days, I know that the team is awesome. They are all so friendly, and seem much more like a small family, than anything in mainline. They work their gut's out for not very much salary, but you are permanent, and working for the airline, so full benefits apply... I think...

The salary was around $28,000. Plus allowances. They pay for a mobile phone, or at least part of your bill. You only get a few overnights a month. It's tough flying, around 130 hours per month, and they have days like the "Quadruple Canberra"

:eek: SYD-CBR-SYD-CBR-SYD-CBR-SYD-CBR-SYD Can you imagine...! :eek:

I hope these aren't still going on, or they were just pulling my leg!

During the recruitment process, I had a good chat to one of them about progression to mainline.

Progression is based on seniority. It is in their EBA, that a certain number must be given the opportunity to move to mainline each year. She said that at present, it takes approximately 5 - 7 years to move to short haul. Then another several years to move to long haul. It is the real slow way.

QF is offering redundancies left right and centre to it's older crew. The new MAM casuals seem to be the way of the future, and in terms of a foot in the door, I think MAM is more the right path, at least MAM are trained on most aircraft types, and operate accross australia and to asia. OK you don't get the industry benefits, but who cares, you'll still be flying QF!!! And the $$ is certainly better than at QFLink.

And what is QF Mainline anyway?

Eastern Australian Airlines, Sunstate, Jetstar, Jetstar International, Jetstar Asia, Value Air, Australian for Qantas, QF MAM, Qantas UK, Jetconnect.... am I missing any??? Is there still a base in BKK? Does any one actually work for Qantas "The Spirit of Australia". Sorry a little off topic...

Anyway, after all that rambling.... my advice is:

You don't say if you are flying or if you are ground crew...

If you are not flying, then take the QFLink. At least you will be flying, and the experience you gain as a solo FA is invaluable!

If you are already flying, then maybe it's better to stick with your current airline, and wait for the next round of MAM recruitment.

Good luck with everything. I wish you all the best!!!

Skygal
20th Jun 2006, 23:55
Thankyou so much for your reply!!! Yes I' am currently flying, and I think I agree with you, itd a huge pay cut. What is MAM? Ive read these posts and am really interested in it, but have no idea what it is and what they do.....any info would be great!!Thanks so much :) :)

ronniemac
21st Jun 2006, 00:11
Skygal,
If your with REX already then you have an idea what the flying is like... It is another way to get into Qantas Mainline but it will take years to get in and in years to come it may not be the way. They do work you hard in the Sydney base and moral is on the low side with the newish management... My feelings are that the management dont take care of/support the staff as good as they should do in certain situations. Saying the above it is still good fun with the other crew and of course the flying experience! Make your choice and dont look back with regrets!
Good luck.

High-Flying-Adored
21st Jun 2006, 03:06
Any ideas when the CBR base will be opening, or when Eastern will be recruiting for it?

I happened across the schedules today and noticed that all services have now cut across to the Dash 8's, no more 737's. (between syd and cbr that is).

I also heard that the 7th and 8th Q400's will be cbr based?

hfa

grrowler
21st Jun 2006, 03:34
I'm not an EAA FA, but I know a few. The job is crap.
1. Money is pathetic
2. So-called "foot in door"to mainline is probably a minimum 8 year wait, I highly doubt the agreement (not even binding anyway) will be around for that long. This is purely used as a carrot by management to get people to work for the shiite money. Do not base your decision on this!!! (PS you'll be burnt out by the time you get to mainline anyway)
3. Management have minimal experience, and no experience whatsoever when it comes to Dash 8 operations. This results in ridiculous procedures being introduced, with the end result being the employee getting screwed.
4. 10 hour / 6 sector days are the norm. Try tacking a few 0545 signons together and see how much you feel like "sharing the spirit"when they draft you. For those of you who don't know, this is when you finish your assigned shift, and they tell you you are required to fly another 2+ sectors.
Seriously, I would beg you to consider carefully before accepting a job with this company. If you want to fly jets, I would be looking elsewhere, perhaps MAM.
Goodluck:ok:

PS I am not directly involved with the FA department, however as far as I know, there is not going to be any EAA CB base. It is crewed by Sunstate.