PDA

View Full Version : Bose X

planemad_bk
20th Jun 2006, 01:41
Anyone know where the best place is to buy a Bose X Headset?

morning mungrel
20th Jun 2006, 02:21
Yep. Unquestionably. Off me. Just $1750 AUD. Guaranteed

ContactMeNow
20th Jun 2006, 02:44
Yep. Unquestionably. Off me. Just $1750 AUD. Guaranteed

Not a bad way to make $255 MM :hmm:

I only charge $1700 and I will throw in FREE POST (conditions apply) :rolleyes: , or if you dont want to go through a middleman, please refer to the website below:

http://store2687.storeserver-2.com/store/products/item870.inetstore

The lads at concept aviation at BK will sort you out.

CMN :E

jack red
20th Jun 2006, 02:56
Or you could try http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/category.asp?transid=cat90 For AUD380.35 plus postage you could have the HME 110 !

Chimbu chuckles
20th Jun 2006, 03:09
What is the story with those things cancelling out audio warnings?

morning mungrel
20th Jun 2006, 03:17
Bloke can't even make a dishonest living here anymore. Obviously the sarcasm was lost on you CMN. Still, if you think I'd be making $255, makes the one I just bought a bargain......:E

Dunno about that CC, don't get too many audio warnings in the chieftain.....:(

Capt Claret
20th Jun 2006, 04:33
G'day Chimbu,

Mine didn't cancel any warnings in the Quadrapuff, but was beautifully quiet. I still use if in the Steroidal 9 but without the ENC. :ok:

Brought mine from Bose in SYD.

ContactMeNow
20th Jun 2006, 05:22
Bloke can't even make a dishonest living here anymore. Obviously the sarcasm was lost on you CMN. Still, if you think I'd be making $255, makes the one I just bought a bargain......:E

Dunno about that CC, don't get too many audio warnings in the chieftain.....:(

Apologies, I was just envious of you owning one! One day I too dream that I will be able to sport a brand spanking new Bose X headset.

I dont see myself buying one for along time anyway, whats the point in spending all that money when im lucky enough to get the radio to work on a good day! :E

CMN :ok:

morning mungrel
20th Jun 2006, 05:45
Mate, I used to think that too. Now that I'm in GA probably forever, I wish I had've got one long ago. Your hearing is worth it, not to mention the clearer radio and less missed calls. Seriously.

planemad_bk
20th Jun 2006, 06:33
Or you could try http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/category.asp?transid=cat90 For AUD380.35 plus postage you could have the HME 110 !

Jack, did you manage to get your headset from that site? I couldn't find anywhere to purchase? After having looked at the aforementioned site i'm now tossing up between the Sennheiser HMEC25-KAS and Bose X. If anyone has used one or the other or both, your opinions would be much appreciated! I wasn't going to get the Sennheisers at first because they didn't come with a volume control, but now that the HMEC25-KAS does, i'm just wondering which would be a better buy out of the two?

M.25
20th Jun 2006, 07:01
I haven't got a Bose, but I agree with morning mungrel. If mine stopped working tomorrow, I would by another one from whoever could get it to me the quickest! :ok:

Capt Claret
20th Jun 2006, 07:54
planemad_bk

many threads on this very topic.

I've tried the Senheiser HMEC25 in the aircraft (Bae146) but preferred the Bose. I found the speaker design of the Senheiser uncomfortable as I prefer the whole ear to be encompased, a la DCs etc.

The Senheiser HMEC40 and/or 30 somthing I found far too heavy.

From a set of AA batteries in the Bose I was getting 100ish hours of excellent ENC listening. Individually adjustable ear volume, light (not as light as the HMEC25) & comfortable. :ok:

Robert Elber @ Bose Aust 1800 023 367 (Sidderney)

Oh that's super!
20th Jun 2006, 08:56
I personally prefer HMEC 25 to Bose X. I trialled both and settled on HMEC 25 partially because it's light, and partially because I found it more comfortable.

Why don't you try them both out?

runway16
20th Jun 2006, 12:43
Do check but I seem to recall that the advertised price of the Bose X is around the $1450 mark these days.

And I enjoy using my Bose X. The batteries seeem to last about 35-40 hours of life and my ears do enjoy the quiet. It is a lightweight, comfortable unit. I clip the control unit to my pants leg with the clip provided.

The only thing that irks me about the X is that for the price the headset bag is not as good as the el cheapos. I now use a bag that has space for the headset but also has compartments for fuel tester, licence and ASIC and maybe spare batteries.

Mr Bose please take note. The carry bag needs to be improved along the lines above.

an-124
20th Jun 2006, 13:16
What about DC 13.4's?
Where is the cheapest price to buy them? (not e-bay)

Heliringer
20th Jun 2006, 14:32
For the David Clark's try Hawker pacific aviation (google search for the contact). Price is around $430/450. Cheapest I could find.

Dogslay
20th Jun 2006, 16:26
The ideal solution is you buy a Bose QC2 and buy the mic adaptation from uflymike.com. This is half the price of the Bose X and allows you to wear the headset when paxing without the mic attachment.

transonic dragon
21st Jun 2006, 00:30
Can't speak highly enough of ENC. You can't put a price on your hearing, but the noise fatigue factor is another matter which is not always obvious.

I have an ENC after-market kit on my DC H10-13.4s; the battery was U/S yesterday, and after a 7.3 hour flight I was absolutely knackered. I do that flight once a week and while tiring, I've never encountered fatigue like it afterwards.

I would love to buy a Bose X if I get a tax refund this year, but this thread is the first I've heard of the Sennheiser, so I'd like to learn more of that. Dogslay, your suggestion is tantalising too, anyone else used uflymike and the QC2's? It's a brilliant idea, just wonder if it's rugged enough for the aviation environment. And how does the passive noise cancellation compare with the X's, because that's half the battle.

22nd Jun 2006, 11:07
Ive got the Dc H10-13.4x, very quiet and rugged.
I have heard others say the ENC, because the way it works, ie equalizing/cancelling the sound with another opposite sound wave, is actually worse for your ears. Any truth to that?:confused:

chuck_norris
22nd Jun 2006, 11:15
Australian Flying has an article on ENC headsets in the current edition. Havent had time to read it yet.

Matt-YSBK
22nd Jun 2006, 11:55
I can hear my gear warning ok with my Bose X headset but the props are allmost inposible to sync with ANR turned on.

morning mungrel
22nd Jun 2006, 22:34
I had a look at some of the others. But I only tried the Bose. My only real concern with the types that didn't cover the ear a la DC's as Clarrie pointed out is when you DON'T have the anc working, ie, flat battery. Pretty noisy!!! The Bose was better in that respect, although certainly not in the DC 13.4 class. (that's what I used to use). I haven't had a problem with prop synch so far. I can hear radios on speaker ok, so I don't anticipate any problems in that respect either. Best investment for my hearing I've made I think.

jmcj
24th Jun 2006, 08:22
G’day all,

For fear of repeating a few people, I’ve had a pair of Bose X for about 9 months now and they work pretty well for me. I’ve seen a few people advertise them with a RRP of $1495 with free shipping anywhere in Oz, but I’m sure if you rang any of the retailers they’ll negotiate a discount to get the sale. I purchased mine from Wadeair (at Orange) for $1425, and they also let me try them before I bought them.

I’ve never had any problems hearing aural warnings etc or syncing props flying both a Baron and Metro. I haven’t tried using HMEC25, but I can say that the Bose X headset is very light and comfortable, and this is after having a set David Clarke 10-60’s for a few years (more so the weight than the comfort). Batteries usually last about 2-3 weeks of reasonably heavy use. As for using them without power, I’ve used them once when my batteries went flat (and forgot the rechargeables..) and they weren’t real flash. That’s not the point though, if you want a headset that provides good noise cancellation without ENC, than get one that provides it. The system that provides the ENC is also the reason they are quiet a bit lighter, because the headset doesn’t require the noise attenuating padding.

Hope this helps mate, 1500 bucks is a lot of cash to shell out, especially for a GA pilot. Well worth it though (from what I’ve been flying anyway), as Transonic Dragon said, you can’t put a price on your hearing. More often than not by the time you can afford them you’ll be flying aircraft that don’t need them… Don’t forget that they are a tax deduction too. Try before you buy, and shop around. I purchased my 10-60’s from Australian Avionics in Cairns, and they were about $50 cheaper than anyone else in Queensland and New South Wales at the time.

Cheers,

Josh

GearOff
25th Jun 2006, 03:36
Can definitely recommend the Bose X. The noise attenuation isn't that much better than a decent pair of DCs or similar, but the real benefit is in the comfort brought about by the lightweight design and lack of clamping force.

Only problem I've had is that when the batteries are on their way out, rather than warning you it just seems to start switching the noise cancellation on and off intermittently. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using normal energizers.

No Body
25th Jun 2006, 04:00
Only problem I've had is that when the batteries are on their way out, rather than warning you it just seems to start switching the noise cancellation on and off intermittently. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using normal energizers.

Mine do that too, and it always seems to happen just when something relevant is being said on the radio...

Still, I would definitely recommend the Bose X. I ummed and ahhhed for ages before shelling out the cash, but I definitely don't regret it!

As far as being a tax deduction, does anyone know whether this expense can be claimed in one go, or does it need to be claimed as a depreciating asset over a few years?

John Eacott
25th Jun 2006, 06:25
I've got both Bose X and DC 13.4x headsets, plus an after market ANR set in my bone dome: they all have their good and bad points.

In a high noise environment (helicopters, I know.....) the DC has better passive attenuation, requiring the anti noise to drive "less hard". If you are on battery power, this will give longer battery life, but they still don't last very long in our environment: between 4 and 20 hours, depending on aircraft type and type of operation. Bose seem to last a lot longer on battery, but can't cope with a really high ambient noise. The Bose sensing microphone is on the outside of the earpiece, whilst the DC has the mic on the inside of the earpiece. To sort out the Bose when it gets out of phase, you put your finger on the outside mic sensor, whilst on the DC you have to lift the earpiece away from your head, to allow the software to sort itself out! The helmet has very good passive attenuation, so the after market unit is very good, except that it has a slight volume difference between the earpieces, which can't be fixed.

The DC doesn't like a heavy 4 per rev beat from larger helicopters (takes ages to settle down), whilst in the same machine the Bose copes fine with the 4per, but won't attenuate the wind noise from the window seals :rolleyes:

The DC's are (relatively) passenger proof, but the Bose are quite flimsy in comparison, and the pax just love tying the flexible mic boom into pretzel shapes :=

So, there is no "one size fits all" ANR headset, IMO. I suggest that you try to borrow one of each type available, and try them in the type of aircraft that you most frequently fly, then decide. Not easy to borrow, but better than investing heaps in an ANR unit that isn't up to what you want.

tomcruise
25th Jun 2006, 06:39
What is the story with those things cancelling out audio warnings?

They would cost a lot more money if they where that good.

Capt Claret
25th Jun 2006, 09:48
Though I don't use the ENC in my Bose X any more, when I was, 2 x AA batteries would last 100ish block hours. The battery power indicator would change from green to yellow with <10hrs power remainig and to red with <5hrs power remaining.

I used Duracell or Lithium Ion rechargable.

transonic dragon
26th Jun 2006, 01:09
Ive got the Dc H10-13.4x, very quiet and rugged.
I have heard others say the ENC, because the way it works, ie equalizing/cancelling the sound with another opposite sound wave, is actually worse for your ears. Any truth to that?:confused:

No, that's a myth. ENC/ANR is very well-proven technology which definitely reduces the total noise reaching your eardrums. Anyone who uses these headsets will attest to how well they work, no doubt about it (see the posts above).

Also, several turboprops, most notably Dash 8 -300 and Q400 series have inbuilt ENC systems in the cabin. Bombardier would not have invested so heavily in such technology if there was no useful result.

BEACH KING
26th Jun 2006, 01:38
I use AA lithium batteries in mine. Eveready are the only ones that I have found, and they are pretty dear at around 12 bucks, but a set last me for longer than 10 months (although I only fly about 100hrs a year). I was only getting around one month out of NiMh rechargables ones or alkaline batteries.

planemad_bk
26th Jun 2006, 03:07
whats the Bose like without the ANR turned on (or with the batt run out)? Is it one of those headsets where its only good if the ANR is on?

Capt Claret
26th Jun 2006, 04:18
whats the Bose like without the ANR turned on (or with the batt run out)? Is it one of those headsets where its only good if the ANR is on?

Works fine in a 717 without ANR turned on.

No, it's still good without the ANR in a noisy cockpit, just not as good.